The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, bbishop said:

My church is opening this evening for private prayer.  We did a risk assessment and one of our requirements is social distancing of 2 metres.    I need to scheme out how we could hold a communion service, unlikely we can have wafers, it could be bring your own bread. 

Bill

For at least two weeks before lockdown my church held our normal communion service but only the priest received communion. I suspect we will do the same when we reopen either next Sunday or soon after. We have been open for the past week for private prayer with strict 2 metre rule for two hours a day. I understand that a maximum of 30 people will be allowed at first and that services will continue to be put on YouTube as they have been daily during lockdown.

Edited by Chris116
More information.
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

I regard pain as a warning.  So if I can move around and it doesn't get worse, then I put up with it.  If I can't move around then it is a job for the professionals.  So I'm with Chris with this one.

I was given a pack of 28 Codeine Phosphate 30mG when I had my knee operation.  Still got them.

Bill

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Chris116 said:

For at least two weeks before lockdown my church held our normal communion service but only the priest received communion. I suspect we will do the same when we reopen either next Sunday or soon after. We have been open for the past week for private prayer for two hours a day.

We were wafers only.  I need to plan wafer and wine for the celebrant only.  The congregation hold up the Hovis at the consecration, then go thirsty.  

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
Just now, bbishop said:

We were wafers only.  I need to plan wafer and wine for the celebrant only.  The congregation hold up the Hovis at the consecration, then go thirsty.  

We did two weeks of wafers only and then a week or two of the congregation not receiving. It is very hard to do the wine in a small enough amount when only one person is receiving!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

Progress has been made on the Scotchman, the photo below has been purposely messed-with so as to dodge any stray awls. The horse show still continues today, so I can continue building the firebox in peace whilst listening to the Bovington Tankfest Live. I’m off to make another grilled cheese, as I don’t have any other options for the midday fodder session.

FB839978-4661-46F1-A14E-D0CF78DEF7FA.jpeg

Tankfest was cancelled a while ago.. I d listen to the odd video of Chieftain, Challenger 1 and Challenger 2 as my office was next to the test track... happy Days!

baz

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, bbishop said:

could you take your own? in a topped bottle which could be blessed by the celebrant?  I am certain we had to do this at our church many years ago (I was a server at the time) as the lady could only have certain things to drink.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bbishop said:

Need ice cream with the wafers!

I managed to pick up Today's Railway  EU yesterday but thanks for the offer of your copy Bill.

• Like 11
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Tankfest was cancelled a while ago.. I d listen to the odd video of Chieftain, Challenger 1 and Challenger 2 as my office was next to the test track... happy Days!

baz

I also listened to and wstched a bit of tankfest live. I quite liked it. Videos of previous events plus contributions from other museums and linked by presenters. I enjoyed it. I think it will be on Youtube.

Meanwhile one relay has been found in the loft but that is for the other lights with mutiple switches in the passageway.  At least I now know what one looks like. Just got to find the darned thing. 

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Yes I watched a bit. Being one of the souls who know a lot more about some vehicles than some of the commentators I have to grit my teeth. ....a lot!

And the guys at the Tank Museum are..not the best..bit like NRM people

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Just been watching a loooong military vehicle train pass thru Santa Fe Junction, Kansas City. Someones knicked all the tank barrels:D

I reckon it was that long that all the UK's military vehicles could have fitted on the train!

On the other PC under the shed canopy was San Juan Capistrano live railcam. Every one wearing face masks on the platform unlike last week.

34005 'Barnstaple' has been weathered and had a good run this afternoon.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, southern42 said:

...snip... Fingers crossed my attempt will not be in vain. ...snip...

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Uhhh, I have to ask; just how do you "toot on the flute" with crossed fingers?? :biggrin_mini:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bbishop said:

I regard pain as a warning.  So if I can move around and it doesn't get worse, then I put up with it.  If I can't move around then it is a job for the professionals.  So I'm with Chris with this one.

I was given a pack of 28 Codeine Phosphate 30mG when I had my knee operation.  Still got them.

Bill

Hit your finger with a hammer and you will find that the warning comes too late!

(Other GDB moments are available on request)

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Yes I watched a bit. Being one of the souls who know a lot more about some vehicles than some of the commentators I have to grit my teeth. ....a lot!

And the guys at the Tank Museum are..not the best..bit like NRM people

Baz

I once had to listen to a very clever and knowledgeable man at the Telford Steam railway tell me (and assorted others) that 5619 (GWR 0-6-2T) was fitted with poppet valves instead of the more normal piston valves.

I went away doing a Victor Meldrew impression

• Like 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

11 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I once had to listen to a very clever and knowledgeable man at the Telford Steam railway tell me (and assorted others) that 5619 (GWR 0-6-2T) was fitted with poppet valves instead of the more normal piston valves.

I went away doing a Victor Meldrew impression

Mine would be Rhett Butler.  Bill

• Agree 1
  • Funny 16

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

On the other PC under the shed canopy was San Juan Capistrano live railcam. 

We lived a short walk from that train station* for a few years.

*Deliberate wind-up :)

• Like 5
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

On the other PC under the shed canopy was San Juan Capistrano* live railcam. 

33 minutes ago, AndyID said:

We lived a short walk from that train station for a few years.

Too bad the Surfliner didn't have anything like the "Intercity Swallow"* livery or rather if they did, they'd only use it for a short time each year. ;)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a bit of hail this afternoon, only lasted about 10 minutes and no thunder and lightening with it. Dinner today was lasagne, as dictated by the use by date. I do really need a haircut, but although the barbers will be open soon they're going to be very busy so its going to be some time before I get a haircut. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

A very low mojo Sunday. I woke early but didn't make much of the day. None of the forecast rain has materialized despite heavy cloud most of the day. I will at least get a walk in - hopefully a dry one.

I had golf on the television. It is currently in a thunderstorm delay with only three pairings left on the course with the leader in the final group. I'm tempted to just turn it off and get walking now in case it does rain. I don't really care about the outcome but some closure would be satisfying.

This was broadcast during the weather delay - an interesting take on the closing hole of the 2017 version of the same tournament. (And I was assembling LEGO on the sofa today!)

Have a good week everyone.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10