The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

You mean “melt back down to pig iron” put right?:biggrin_mini::diablo_mini:

A fitting kind of iron for Swindon products?

Dave

(can't help feeling that I live a bit too close to the Muddy Hollow to carry on with this thread)

• Agree 7
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

..., fear not  the Great Wander Round tribe  (incorporating the Dirty, Noisy and Slow) forget when their kings failed locos from proper railways found the trains these pulled not exacting to say the least...

Sirrah,

You have grievously insulted me and my beloved GWR and I demand satisfaction!
Shunter’s Poles at 06:00, Old Oak Common. The win is on first touch and the loser buys the beer!

I Remain

Your Faithful Servant

&tc., &tc., &tc.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 13

50 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Sneaking in, probably not under the radar though.  One of Mrs NHN's trees, with an industrial loco in the background, which do not all look the same. Hunslet 16" in this case.

20200629_155200.jpg.e64d8e1318fe69fb9d022b5767b7ff3a.jpg

Nice forest husbandry.

Does she do bespoke orders?

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 14

58 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

A number of maybe interconnected questions here:

1. How do you know?
  2. You imply that his chosen colour is not yellow?
  3. If it is not yellow, what is the preferred colour?
  4. Or does it just, as in the 1960s ballad, have polka-dots?

The world should know.

And probably cringe.

Damn, time to reach for the brain bleach again.

That’s an image to wash out of ones memory....

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

A fitting kind of iron for Swindon products?

Dave

(can't help feeling that I live a bit too close to the Muddy Hollow to carry on with this thread)

Left a bit.............Left a bit....................

Bricks gone!

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

A number of maybe interconnected questions here:

1. How do you know?
  2. You imply that his chosen colour is not yellow?
  3. If it is not yellow, what is the preferred colour?
  4. Or does it just, as in the 1960s ballad, have polka-dots?

The world should know.

And probably cringe.

He is a covert fan of the Gresley A4 Pacific.

Therefore he does not wear a yellow bikini top, its...........................

STREEEEAK!.......................................................

And that does require brain bleach!

Especially if he's pleased to see you.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Sirrah,

You have grievously insulted me and my beloved GWR and I demand satisfaction!
Shunter’s Poles at 06:00, Old Oak Common. The win is on first touch and the loser buys the beer!

I Remain

Your Faithful Servant

&tc., &tc., &tc.

Bunter seems to have forgotten that Baz  was responsible for the testing of the multi barrelled Awl 'chukka' for the Awlmighty Debs.

How many poles at once Baz?

And from how far?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Before you all get agitated by the Great Wander Round.. I did live in Didcot and was a member of the GWS for a time. I even managed to get some paint onto a coach interior.. but my mate who tried hard to fettle the steam things there was not always positive about the engineering of them. To me the best they had was the Hunslet 0-6-0 Diesel shunter.. possible one of the most powerful engines on site..

Baz

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

No different to the military,  every time a junior officer is posted in, he has to prove himself. So he starts changing things around,  making vast amounts of work.........,

It could be just the same on the railway. I remember one S&T man promoted beyond his brain power into a post in our office.

When his new No.2 passed him some work he had completed he said "It's done like such and such in Nottingham. I want it changed to that way". No.2 snapped back at him "You're in Birmingham now, all of our depots like it presented this way, so that's the way it's staying."

• Like 5
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Bunter seems to have forgotten that Baz  was responsible for the testing of the multi barrelled Awl 'chukka' for the Awlmighty Debs.

How many poles at once Baz?

And from how far?

on the  Multiple Launch Pole System.. or MLPS? Well 24 in the first salvo, reload within a minute and. whoosh.. there goes another 24.

Of course with the new Multiple Pointed Spears  each spear carries a canister of 4 little hypersonic spears.. they make it sting a bit...

baz

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Whats all this arguing about kettles and what colour they should be. My kettle is black, the only copper is on the three pin plug and it goes by the name of Russell Hobbs. Its been in action to make a pot of tea that is now being drunk. Proper locomotives should be rail blue with yellow ends. 

Tin hat and flak jacket donned and I'm off.

• Like 3
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Afternoon all,

Shock horror, 

The globe calve and flywheel arrived today. But there’s a catch. The valve is completely the wrong size, and the flywheel arrived corroded and wasn’t even supplied with a grub screw! Unfortunately I can’t rethread the inlet port as the steam inlet on the valve is huge when compared with the main steam line, so suggestions as to where to go from here are very welcome. 

A8E6DAAE-5040-4ECA-B281-6E1B6738D767.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Afternoon all,

Shock horror, 

The globe calve and flywheel arrived today. But there’s a catch. The valve is completely the wrong size, and the flywheel arrived corroded and wasn’t even supplied with a grub screw! Unfortunately I can’t rethread the inlet port as the steam inlet on the valve is huge when compared with the main steam line, so suggestions as to where to go from here are very welcome. 

A8E6DAAE-5040-4ECA-B281-6E1B6738D767.jpeg

Get hold of a suitable bit of brass hex.  turn one end down until it is the correct size to use the appropriate die to cut a thread.

This deals with the one end.

Now drill a hole in the other end and run the appropriate sized tap into it, so that you can connect your globe valve.

Now drill a small hole through the whole caboodle  to allow steam to pass through.

You can  decrease the bore of the union on the outlet side  of the globe valve by soldering some brass rod which has been drilled a sliding fit for the correct size copper pipe to connect to the lubricator.

Because of the low pressures involved, you can safely soft solder the pipework between the globe valve and the lubricator.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Get hold of a suitable bit of brass hex.  turn one end down until it is the correct size to use the appropriate die to cut a thread.

Now drill a hole in the other end and run the appropriate sized tap into it, so that you can connect your globe valve.

You can use decrease the bore of the union on the outlet side  of the globe valve by soldering some brass rod which has been drilled a sliding fit for the correct size copper pipe to connect to the lubricator.

Because of the low pressures involved, you can safely soft solder the pipework between the globe valve and the lubricator.

.... and change those white shoes.  They don’t suite you at all.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

In my personal opinion, all things Southern look the same, he says whilst he’s rebuilding a LC&DR Small Scotchman.:huh:

Hmmm, yes, the Southern Crescent! :biggrin_mini:

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, BoD said:

.... and change those white shoes.  They don’t suite you at all.

are they shoes or socks.. if the latter.. well one doesn't wear white socks unless one is playing the best game in the world.. cricket!

Baz

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

...snip... Or does it just, as in the 1960s ballad, have polka-dots?

True, it was an "itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny yellow polka-dot bikini"! :yahoo_mini:

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 4
  • Funny 8

12 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Now drill a small hole through the whole caboodle  to allow steam to pass through.

You can  decrease the bore of the union on the outlet side  of the globe valve by soldering some brass rod which has been drilled a sliding fit for the correct size copper pipe to connect to the lubricator.

That might be rather difficult as I don’t have a lathe, and any machinist round here will charge an arm and a leg for even that work. But thank you anyways.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11