The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A bit dull here with some sunny spells forecast and the chance of rain later.

Good to hear from Warren albeit with some not so good news. I hope things improve soon.

A couple of parcels due today so waiting in is necessary.  Nothing of interest for me, these are for Herself.

If they come early we may possibly visit our local garden centre if it doesn't seem too crowded.  It seems there are gaps in the garden that need filling.  Oh great!. :scratchhead:

Have a good one,

Unenthusiastic gardener of Sutton.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, AndyID said:

You really should include a resistor in series with the IR LED to limit the current to something no greater than the maximum specified current. You can't determine how much current the LED is passing by measuring the voltage across it but you can determine the current by measuring the voltage across the resistor.

Fear not, there is a resistor fitted between the LED and the negative rail, for that very purpose!

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well it’s rained overnight and the garden is very wet, but it’s not raining at the moment so I may chance setting up the workbench in front of the shed and try sanding the bench slats. Once they’re done I can start priming and then painting them, so that’s most of the day sorted out. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

I'm not sure if Wilesco ever did this but the steam pipe on my ancient Mamod stationary engine loops around under the boiler before it goes to the cylinder. I always assumed this was a very basic form of superheater or at least a steam dryer.

I forgot to mention that IIRC its throttle doesn't act on the live steam going into the cylinder. It actually throttles the exhaust from the cylinder. I'm not sure if that's the most efficient thermodynamic way of doing it but it but it reduces the number of live steam connections and it seems to work quite well.

One of the problems with an oscillating cylinder is there is no method of 'cut off' to allow the steam to work expansively as seen where variable valve gear if fitted.

Once the steam gets to the cylinder it's all or nothing, which is why they have a tendency to run very quickly.

Adding a form of throttle on the exhaust side of the system has long been one method of slowing down such cylinders, especially in locomotive applications.

The throttle is designed to create back pressure in the exhaust so that the piston is having to work harder to force the exhaust.  this slows it down.

The use of a coil in the fire between the live steam exit from the boiler and the cylinder is indeed to keep the steam temperature up above the condensing point.  The very low pressures in toy boilers mean they are running on very wet steam, and prone to condensation issues.

The amount of water these things piddle all over the place is testament to this.  They tend to leak water and not steam!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oh, looks like the 'Hedgehog'  device is about to be deployed. (See WW2 anti-submarine weapons).

Careful the flying bits hurt... an awful lot!

I am trying to develop the Multiple Headed Ballistic Flinging Teddy. It isn't as sharp as awls or spears but its shape allows more bang - and it can be fired from the Multiple Awl Fling Device...

Baz

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The world still awaits the definitive work on LMS electric traction. Would that help to pacify the Swiss?

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Stephen,

I suppose that having spent some of my formative years living in Formby on the ex- L&YR/LMS Liverpool - Southport electric line, which I used almost on a daily basis, and Jill's grandfather having been foreman at the line's power station that I have some tenuous link with LMS electric traction. Would that be sufficient to deflect William Tell's arrows should they be launched Shropshire-wards do you think?

Dave

Can I try and claim some protection by offerring to write the bit about the Midland's contribution.  

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I went to pour my morning tea this morning and there was white bits floating on top. A quick eyeball of the milk revealed nothing apparently wrong neither did a sniff test. There was a lump of the white bits in the bottom of the mug. Not wanting to risk anything I threw the rest of the 2 pint plastic bottle (about a quarter of a pint) away though the use by date was 3rd.July and it had been kept refrigerated. I managed to squeeze my usual 2 mugfuls out of the pot.

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Is this not "S" scale?

Curiously the philatelic sales department of the US Postal Service just sent me a catalogue with a number of USPS die cast (presumably) vehicles in 1:64. They actually looked really nice and included a number of distribution vans including a full tractor trailer.

The USPS issued a 50th anniversary sheet of stamps commemorating Hot Wheels cars. They had models of these cars as well.

Interesting prototypes. I notice that a couple of the vehicles are right hand drive.  This is because many American homes have a mailbox kerbside and the postie can deliver without leaving the vehicle.

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Stephen,

I suppose that having spent some of my formative years living in Formby on the ex- L&YR/LMS Liverpool - Southport electric line, which I used almost on a daily basis, and Jill's grandfather having been foreman at the line's power station that I have some tenuous link with LMS electric traction. Would that be sufficient to deflect William Tell's arrows should they be launched Shropshire-wards do you think?

Dave

The 502/503 classes had a very long life and a wide range of liveries from LMS maroon through various shades of green with different applications (or not as the case may be) of yellow ends. All over blue and ending up in blue/grey. It would be great if an enterprising manufacturer could produce a model of these units. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 3

Morning all . . .still playing catch-up . . about 12 pages behind . . . 

Anyways . . . Time for a bit of local news . . .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-53224639

For the benefit of our Leeds-based missionary.

Hope everyone's well . . 

John

P.S. I'm not missing . . .I know where I am . . . . .I Think???????

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

18 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

image.png.d2bf8d9d65c81939b6a1a3dbb1b15298.png

I can assure you that Mick does not wear a yellow bikini top

*Wonders how you can be so certain?*

(Rest assured dear readers - I don't.....)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The world still awaits the definitive work on LMS electric traction. Would that help to pacify the Swiss?

Can’t wait for it to come out, I’d be first in the queue  when it hits ‘The Works’  or other discount retailer.

• Like 6
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Now that 'someone' has confessed to writing about diseasals I suppose I had better confess to writing about 'foreign' steam engines.  But in my defence I will hasten to add that they originated on England's second greatest Railway - the NER; second only to the GWR.    I'm not sure if L&Y electrickery trains would help calm Swiss feelings but Midland ones with knitting above to supply the juice ought to be acceptable I would have thought.   Having done a bit of research into the GWR's excursions into electric railways I suppose I could write a bit about them if I were so inclined, or offered money, and at least one of them does offer, still, some excellent GWR buildings in apparently original external condition and fake GWR colours. 

The weather is turning wet again and the fridge repairer has been, and gone away to order an expensive sounding part which also involves electrickery, meanwhile the smaller fridges remain in use so all is not warm in consequence of the continuing loss of the big one.  A foraging party has been despatched to Tesco but no other excursions are planned for today and more rain is expected, probably.

Have a good day one and all and great to see BoD back among us albeit with not entirely good tidings - I hope things improve on all fronts for you and yours.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But in my defence I will hasten to add that they originated on England's second greatest Railway - the NER; second only to the GWR.  

A correct statement. The LNWR and Midland were the United Kingdom's greatest railways, owning lines in England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The best railway IMHO was the one who painted their locomotives royal blue, the Great Eastern Railway. Even Gresley appreciated what good locomotives they were by continuing to build and develop them even sending them to work as far away as Scotland.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1