The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny this morning but not expected to last, and Arthur Itis agrees. Still no news on the shed yet so if they don't reply soon I'll be on the blower giving them an ear bashing. Have to get on now before the rain arrives, be back later.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Damn,

i'll just have to wait for the next food related comment about GW locomoitves.

Oh Wait!

I know................. All GW loco have a shiny brass milk churn on top of the boiler

However, there is absolutely no truth in the rumour I have a polished copper ring around my exhaust!

I now just the thing for polishing it when it's fitted, how about a tube brush for a steam loco. Get rid of all the clinker.

Jamie

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
Just now, jamie92208 said:

I now just the thing for polishing it when it's fitted, how about a tube brush for a steam loco. Get rid of all the clinker.

Jamie

I prefer using that well known trick, beloved of oil burning steamers: 'Sanding through'.

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I prefer using that well known trick, beloved of oil burning steamers: 'Sanding through'.

There's always IZAL loo paper, or is that a bit too rough?

• Funny 16

Morning all, still persisting it down here, now I wanted rain for the garden and for the Salmon and Sea trout to start to run the rivers, however as we now have a couple of feet extra in the river, that'll do now thanks. Hoping to go after some fish on Friday at Banchory so I might just go test a few things running around on parallel bits of metal in a bit.....again.

• Like 15

14 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

They also exuded Victorian elegance.

Although, I suspect the crews that had to work them on a stormy, wet night night not have been so complimentary about the rather spartan cab arrangement. although to be fair I suspect that was probably the same for most locomotives of the time.

The biggest obstacle to fitting better cabs to locomotives were the footplatemen! Who probably did'nt want to be seen as softies by other railwaymen

Congratulations to Mrs Rick

• Like 13
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Hmmm pain-in-ear tanks were not to common over here but saddle-tanks were. My favorite is a Baltimore & Ohio "Docksider" 0-4-0 used in Baltimore:

1996228237_BO0-4-0-004.JPG.012d84107ec04579c040e87eacecd0fb.JPG

1243602928_BO0-4-0-002.JPG.ceb852a997dcbf0105b96aa66a85e3b7.JPG

Note that I do not at this time have a layout so I used an outside third rail double-crossover (quite old) that is in my hoard collection as a base for the photo shoot. The loco is a Max Gray (KTM) product.

There used to be a company called Kenversions, and  he made a drop on body similar to this to fit over a  Mamod steam loco.

Thankfully Derek Wiggins was able to produceMamod Kenversions Feb 2010 Heritage.pdf 

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations to Sharron on getting her doctorate. Turning it into a book is the next step. Having lived through Dr Eldest Herberts time writing his thesis it is very hard work..for all concerned. Well done Rick. I hope the counselling goes as well. Baz

• Like 5
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1