The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

I don't think any of the Midland Compounds were ever configured as simple expansion locomotives with the same displacement but I suspect if they had been Deeley and Fowler would have come to the same conclusion as Churchward.

That's exactly what Deeley, IIRC did, by building 10 locos of the 990 class, same boiler and similar running gear, though a very odd valve gear. They spent their rather short lives on the Settle and Carlisle but were withdrawn as non standard in 1928. I presume that somewhere there was some comparative testing but I've never seen the evidence.  Mr Hunt may know better. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

Probably feeling slightly guilty after imposing their expansionist policies that resulted in the conversion of my former office into the swearing sewing room les autorités domestique have authorized the acquisition of additional computation equipment (aka a PC). I've been displaced to my shed where I'm using the laptop (with a decent monitor) but it's not the best thing for some of the software I use.

I use CAD and 3D printing programs that are computation intensive. They are mainly single threaded and not well suited to multi-core, parallel computing. The graphics are not that important. I don't do a lot of clever 3D rendering. I'll probably go for some SSD to speed up file access and program starting.

Any suggestions?

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I use CAD and 3D printing programs that are computation intensive. They are mainly single threaded and not well suited to multi-core, parallel computing.

Some CAD applications are very suitable for multi-threading, but of course is up to the developers to 'make it so'. Efficient multi-threaded application development is a particular skill.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

That's exactly what Deeley, IIRC did, by building 10 locos of thec990 class, same boiler and similar running gear, though a very odd valve gear. They spent their rather short lives on the Settle and Carlisle but Stanier were withdrawn as non standard un 1928. I presume that somewhere there was some comparative testing but I've never seen the evidence.  Mr Hunt may know better. 

Jamie

Thanks for that Jamie. As Poirot probably never said "Ze plot thickens."

What I do know is that you can only get a certain amount of work from a hot gas as it expands and cools. (Any more than that is against the law.) That's not to say you can't do a lot of clever things that minimize the parasitic losses during the process. That is mainly what compounding does.

• Like 13

25 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Some CAD applications are very suitable for multi-threading, but of course is up to the developers to 'make it so'. Efficient multi-threaded application development is a particular skill.

Not the ones I use :)

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

34 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

his morning the governor was back on television begging people not to congregate this weekend for the 4th of July and to limit themselves to their immediate household. My oldest is planning a small family get-together. The weather should be nice and we should be able to distance outside. I now find myself conflicted about this event

The gov tries but its an uphill battle especially this weekend, Fourth of July, Saturday night, don't have to get up next morning, schools out, no civic shows; its going to be a 4th to remember sadly.  Already boxes from Indian reservations are waiting to be opened, some are already judging by the local bangs, so prepare for Saturday.  Beer will be drunk, rockets launched, animals scared.  Fingers missing, eyes blinded or worse; will they ever learn?:(

All this and Covid too!

Brian.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

56 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... and an aging hippy. (CoViD-19 graphs)

Despite not having a haircut in more than four months, I am not close to approximating a pony tail. My hair gets thicker more than it gets longer.

US graph data is much scarier.

State by state Rt

Google: covid-19 cases in us

Daily new CoViD-19 diagnoses are now far higher than the initial peak in early April. Deaths have declined but are still in the range of 100s per day.

Unlike most places the 'first wave' did not bottom out anywhere near zero, rather the first wave has morphed into a bimodal shape where we haven't yet reached the second peak.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

...snip... All this follows a telephone call yesterday from a roofer suggesting that they were in the area (the same house, I suspect from the anti-moss treatment on the roof) and wouldn't I need their services?  I let her know that my roof is not yet four years old. ...snip...

I would have told her something like "I like the moss on my roof, it is plugging the leaks." and then hung up. :jester:

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis is insistent that it is going to rain in the wee small hours so a brace of co-codamols is keeping him quiet. My friends lad is back at school, three days a week. Being special education needs he needs the tuition. He was doing very well since he's been attending the special school but the school being locked down hasn't helped.

• Friendly/supportive 16

30 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I would have told her something like "I like the moss on my roof, it is plugging the leaks."

She seemed to be hoping I was ready for a new roof. Perhaps in a dozen years or so.

Meanwhile the local public television station has switched back to their pre-pandemic programming - cooking and travel shows at lunchtime, and kiddies' shows in the mid-afternoon. This might be a good thing. Perhaps I will use the time for something worthwhile.

Daytime television on the corporate networks is unwatchable. There are of course many alternatives, but I've avoided the deliberate focused watching of shows during what are notionally 'working hours' as a monumental time-sink. I have this notion that I will use the time to do job-hunting or some other useful activity that won't happen if I start consciously watching anything. 

It's about time for a constitutional.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

29 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I would have told her something like "I like the moss on my roof, it is plugging the leaks." and then hung up. :jester:

You may laugh, but in my case that's quite possible true. It's been there for 25 years and rapidly approaching the "sell by" date.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13