The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

27 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Ah! I thought it was just a simple latching relay circuit but it's actually a divide by two counter. Good idea.

Does it use some electronic bits or are there two relays?

So just a D-Type flip-flop in toggle mode with as many buttons as you like providing the 'clock' pulse to toggle it!

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

So just a D-Type flip-flop in toggle mode with as many buttons as you like providing the 'clock' pulse to toggle it!

Essentially, yes. The tricky bit would be finding one that operates on 230V 50Hz.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Essentially, yes. The tricky bit would be finding one that operates on 230V 50Hz.

No. Just use a 5 Volt logic circuit to operate the logic side then use that to toggle a logic-level relay capable of switching 240V. As the switches need two wires, use the relay's circuit to provide the switches with logic level voltage derived from the flip-flop's power supply in the switching box!

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

51 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I thought the done thing to do is, after taking a few medicinal drops of your finest sipping likker, to sleep in a hammock on the mosquito netted porch while your hound dawg snoozes next to you and the cicadas provide a soothing background

That would depend on whether you want to be coyote food - depending on the dog - which might be the coyote's first choice.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There are artists who carve old sheet metal (barrows, shovels, etc) into filigree shapes with plasma cutters. A new hobby perhaps?

Google "plasma cut wheelbarrow". It's a thing.

Unfortunately it went to the metal faries some weeks ago. Also I'm not sure if plasma cutters will cut through ferrous oxide with a thin coat of cement and other more dubious materials.

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

52 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

One thing I can never understand: people down on the beach (yes, currently taboo) in the sea having a swim rush for shelter when it starts raining; why? Is it wetter under water if you're there when it rains?

The point of bathing in the sea is usually not to stay immersed but to be able to dry off on the sand, which becomes difficult when it is raining. Plus, many beach goers do not venture into the water at all.

Actually (depending on ocean and air temperatures) it can be quite nice to be in the water while it is raining.

I should also point out that while a towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have,* one usually does not want it to get wet.

* See below:

Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it ** if it still seems to be clean enough

** only if it is not wet.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Do you know where your towel is?
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

30 minutes ago, polybear said:

Shame on you :nono:

You are forever banished to spend your days in Hamleys, with the express duty of taking care to ensure that all Bears and associated furry friends (esp. Donks, Hippos and Paddingtons) are sitting comfortably on padded shelves, not on the floor, or squashed, or piled in those dreaded wire baskets; rotating all from rear to front of shelves shall be carried out at hourly intervals to ensure a fair chance of re-homing.  And sneaking off to play trains is definitly not allowed.

And why, may I ask, is Big Bud looking so glum.....

Sorry Bob:P

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Shame on you :nono:

You are forever banished to spend your days in Hamleys, with the express duty of taking care to ensure that all Bears and associated furry friends (esp. Donks, Hippos and Paddingtons) are sitting comfortably on padded shelves, not on the floor, or squashed, or piled in those dreaded wire baskets; rotating all from rear to front of shelves shall be carried out at hourly intervals to ensure a fair chance of re-homing.  And sneaking off to play trains is definitly not allowed.

And why, may I ask, is Big Bud looking so glum.....

He saw what had happened to the dog...it was his turn next!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

22 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The point of bathing in the sea is usually not to stay immersed but to be able to dry off on the sand, which becomes difficult when it is raining. Plus, many beach goers do not venture into the water at all.

Actually (depending on ocean and air temperatures) it can be quite nice to be in the water while it is raining.

I should also point out that while a towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have,* one usually does not want it to get wet.

* See below:

** only if it is not wet.

Whilst I see your point(s), much depends on why you are on the beach in the first place and your attitude to getting wet; I recall seeing a young lad without a care in the world bathing, fully clothed (including trainers, jeans and sweatshirt!) in Sandown Bay on the Isle of Wight.

Attitudes to living and enjoying life do differ.

A good Hitch Hiker ALWAYS knows where, in the Galaxy, his towel is!

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

No. Just use a 5 Volt logic circuit to operate the logic side then use that to toggle a logic-level relay capable of switching 240V. As the switches need two wires, use the relay's circuit to provide the switches with logic level voltage derived from the flip-flop's power supply in the switching box!

You could do something like that but you'll need some additional conditioning circuitry at the switch input to eliminate contact bounce, and probably optoisolators to prevent currents induced in the long wires from the switches banjaxing the input to your flip-flop.

Alternatively you could just use two relays :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

One thing I can never understand: people down on the beach (yes, currently taboo) in the sea having a swim rush for shelter when it starts raining; why?

One possible reason is that sudden downpours in Summer are often caused by thunder storms. It's debatable whether the beach is any safer than the water when there is lightning about.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, AndyID said:

It's debatable whether the beach is any safer than the water when there is lightning about.

Both can be extremely dangerous when there is lightning about. Even more dangerous is taking shelter under tall trees at the edge of the beach.

• Like 9
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The replacement Wheelbarrow hasn't arrived yet but its tracked and its on its way. According to DHL I'm number 49 on the delivery and the driver is on his way to number 47, twenty minutes ago it was number 44 so it shouldn't be long now. If there is a fault with this one hopefully if its a different faulty component I can build a good wheelbarrow out of the two. Stop Press, It's arrived, now to unpack the box, be back later.

I hired a tracked wheelbarrow once.   Absolutely brilliant thing because not only was it tracked but pushing a lever made it jack up to move the bin higher so it could tip into a skip (dumpster for US readers) that was already part loaded.  And being power worked I didn't have to push it to get it from a fair way down the garden uphill to reach the skip;  only problem with it was that if you moved the accelerator lever to the 'hare' position it was a job to walk fast enough to keep up with it to steer it safely.

https://www.jewson.co.uk/p/dumpster-JTH06725

Edited by The Stationmaster
Lost the link - restored
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Haven't assembled the wheelbarrow yet. Too wet and windy outside  and now its too dark. If the faulty one can be put right it will be donated to a good cause. Now for a muggatee and to continue battling Farcebook.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 02/07/2020 at 13:39, AndyID said:

The air must be very clean here in the Northwet.

DSCN4907.JPG.bc32c7da932625e8162dc96e8c0016bc.JPG

That bit is North facing. The other side has hardly any moss.

I have often wondered why we we dutifully have it cleaned off every so often.

Brian.

• Like 9
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I hired a tracked wheelbarrow once.   Absolutely brilliant thing because not only was it tracked but pushing a lever made it jack up to move the bin higher so it could tip into a skip (dumpster for US readers) that was already part loaded.  And being power worked I didn't have to push it to get it from a fair way down the garden uphill to reach the skip;  onluy problem with it was that if you moved the accelerator lever to the 'hare' position it was a job to walk fast enough to keep up with it to steer it safely.

Its not tracked in that sense, its a single wheel at the front jobbie. The tracking referred to is an app that tells you exactly were on the delivery round your parcel is.

• Like 12