The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

19 minutes ago, brianusa said:

I have often wondered why we we dutifully have it cleaned off every so often.

I know why. I have seen Douglas firs growing in the valley between two intersecting hipped roofs. It was in the back and not easily visible and was perhaps 18" - 24" tall.

There was an old barn locally (now torn down and the site of a flooring store) that had a thatch of moss that was perhaps 6" thick. I have a photograph somewhere.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5

4 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Dr. SWMBO thanks all those who have offered their congratulations and support on her gaining her PhD.  It is beginning to sink in and it is one large weight off her mind.

Colleagues who have gone that route say it takes a year not to feel guilty that you aren't doing something to the PhD.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndyID said:

Ah! I thought it was just a simple latching relay circuit but it's actually a divide by two counter. Good idea.

Does it use some electronic bits or are there two relays?

You are alll being too fancy. It is just a tumbler mechanism that flops over every time the coil us energised either closing orbopening the switch.  All ele tro mechanical.  However when I bought the new one yesterday a French Sparky shook his head and said, "They don't make them like that nowadays you will have to ask the man to get a modern one out of the locked cabinet".. this was duly done  and this morning it was installed along with it's 4.5m extension cable.  Switched the circuit breaker back on and zilch, no light. I will be investigating in the morning.

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

You are alll being too fancy. It is just a tumbler mechanism that flops over every time the coil us energised either closing orbopening the switch.  All ele tro mechanical.  However when I bought the new one yesterday a French Sparky shook his head and said, "They don't make them like that nowadays you will have to ask the man to get a modern one out of the locked cabinet".. this was duly done  and this morning it was installed along with it's 4.5m extension cable.  Switched the circuit breaker back on and zilch, no light. I will be investigating in the morning.

Jamie

I'm still none the wiser :D 

Perchance, does it have Citroën chevrons on it?

Edited by AndyID
To add cheeky comment
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 13

5 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I had some really excellent empanadas for dinner tonight, from the favorite Cuban take out place. ... The two spheres you can see are called Papa Rejina (spelling almost certainly wrong), these are fried potato balls filled with the extra filling from the empanada. 

Excellent!  

Papas Rellenas is the spelling by the way. Empanadas originate in Galica (Spain), 500 miles by sea roughly south by west as the seabird flies from Cornwall.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Fixed the distance.
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

12 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Excellent!  

Papas Rellenas is the spelling by the way. Empanadas originate in Galica (Spain), 200 miles by sea roughly south by west as the seabird flies from Cornwall.

I wonder if they ended up there when that storm blew the Spanish Armada into the Irish and (possibly) Cornish coasts? 

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, brianusa said:

I have often wondered why we we dutifully have it cleaned off every so often.

Brian.

I've not bothered cleaning them for a few years. The shingles are now 25 years old. Fairly soon they will either have to be covered with a second layer or replaced.

I would replace them with steel but at my age that's hardly a sound investment.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Excellent!  

Papas Rellenas is the spelling by the way. Empanadas originate in Galica (Spain), 200 miles by sea roughly south by west as the seabird flies from Cornwall.

200 might just get you to Brittany possibly 700.  However I had Empanadas in El Salvador and liked them.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

200 might just get you to Brittany possibly 700. 

Thank you. Yes, it sounded wrong to me - I used the measure distance multiple times in Google maps and it gave me 200 miles each time. Checking again it gave me 460 miles.

Brittany is about 112 miles.

I fixed the original post - thanks again.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13