The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Does anyone know where I can get a 16BA tap at a sensible price? The only thing I've been able to find so far is a set of first, second and taper at the 'special reduced' price of £75. All I want is a taper but that seems an impossibility now. Although Squires web site still lists them, it doesn't seem to have been updated for years and their new catalogue doesn't feature them.

Try Todmorden Model Supplies, their usually very reasonably priced. I recently bought a full set of 14BA for £6.00

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone remember the old satirical presenter John Bird? "Well, I just been up on da Air Ministry Roof and it am pissin darn." Large portion of gardening achieved today before intermittent deliveries of Adam's Ale interrupted my chores. SWMBO was not satisfied with my efforts and wishes me to return ASAP and weed borders. Overall, it felt like it was a much safer trip back here as everyone kept more or less to the roadworks speed limit and no speeding LGVs ventured into Lane 3.
Yesterday, CowboysRUs attempted to hide the quagmire with numerous tippers full of general spoil and even covered it today with some crushed brick or similar red dusty material. The subsequent rain has certainly shown where the low points in their work are and tomorrow may well see another sea of mud!

After a repeat of last night's best of seasonal British fare, we had the same lamb chop, peas, broad beans and Cornish spuds again and it was just as good too. Sadly, The Guv'nor is regrettably no more so a small glass of Surani Costarossa Primitivo di Manduria had to do and, although nice, it isn't quite The Guv'nor. Tonight should be cribbage night. I am debating whether the weather will allow me to wander as I don't wish to return by car after a few several glasses of an India Pale Ale.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

At the blood clinic. Woman said she had been waiting 30 minutes for a 1.45 appointment. The phlebotomist said there were no 1.45 appointments. Apparently she had booked 2.45. Then saw her after me as someone hadn’t turned up. By the time my GP gets the results tomorrow I should be on my way to Solihull. We are visiting my cousin for a couple of days. 

Tony

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Try Todmorden Model Supplies, their usually very reasonably priced. I recently bought a full set of 14BA for £6.00

Thanks Brian. I've just had a look at their website and they don't show anything smaller than 12 BA but I'll give them a ring and check.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

21 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Thanks Brian. I've just had a look at their website and they don't show anything smaller than 12 BA but I'll give them a ring and check.

Dave

Does it have to be BA? 0.8 mm is very close and the thread pitch isn't far off either. Here's one example but in the US unfortunately.

https://timesavers.com/i-9995576-tap-die-set-0-8mm-1-2mm.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.

'Fairly' sanctimonious.....#sigh#   Male nurse looked incredibly fit for his age so I didn't have the pleasure of smirking during the BMI discussion.  He seemed rather disinterested, while imparting what he had to and not being rude, but I felt no sense of engagement (not the wedding type) with him.  Not a great start, The BP figure he gave as a target (diastolic 70!) is not really possible for someone 60 years old already struggling with that and changing meds to try to control it.  Maybe it was supposed to gee me up but it just made me negative towards him - unreasonable targets don't work on blokes with a few miles on the clock with multiple health issues.  Got the T shirt mate.  Left feeling short changed.  We'll see what happens in the full assessment.

If my BP goes down to diastolic 70 I start to feel very ill, the docs tell me 80 is low enough

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

It means taking the most direct route across a roundabout*

So, for example if going straight ahead on a two lane roundabout  instead of sticking to the outer lane all the way round you would enter the outer lane criss to the inner lane back to the outer lane and leave the roundabout.  As close to following a straight line as you can. When taking the first exit (turning left in th UK) drivers often straddle both lanes to maintain speed, again as close to a straight line as possible.

* you can drive straight across the central island if you want but that can be a bit bumpy.**

** unless it’s a mini roundabout which are complete abominations.

Unless of course you are in, IIRC, Hemel Hempstead where the so called 'Magic' roundabout has 7 smaller roundabouts round it's circumference and you can in fact travel round the main feature in either direction.

As to straight lining roundabouts there is a large one in the middle of the Belle isle estate in South Leeds.  The tram tracks went across the middle as did several panda cars on night shifts until the council erected some seats without telling us and one colleague came a cropper.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

That's when, on a multi-lane roundabout, you completely ignore the lane markings and take the shortest (minimum centripetal force) path between entry and exit.

About ten years ago, our fair city decided roundabouts should replace some busy intersections.  Unfortunately they made them too small - two lanes only! :( This was because of encroaching buildings so there wasn't much room to begin with.  But obviously they are not big enough with the consequence that they aren't much use.  Exits are diagrammed with for each lane but the biggest problem is the locals don't use signals so you can wait and wait until some one does.  Sad to say, ladies are the worst offenders!:ireful:

Brian.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

I've not tried the Hemel Hempstead Magic Roundabout but have used the Swindon example.

There are quite a few roundabouts on routes I use regularly where one can legally straight-line, as the major routes cuts through the middle - with traffic light control on all routes, of course, e.g. B3270 across the A329 at Winnersh Triangle, or the A423 at the end of the Abingdon Road outside Oxford.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Finally got here after being called away to sausage, egg * chips for the evening meal and then herself grabbed the keyboard.

The day started with the G word which in my case seemed to consist mainly of moving things to order and then doing my own thing with a bit of tree trimming on the oak in the front garden plus a bit pf jungle hacking in order to expose to better view some very nice looking traditional British type poppies.  We've also got some rather nice specimens of the, how shall I put it, 'Asian' variety with the large leaves and very large seed heads grown from seeds herself has come across in the neighbourhood in recent years.  Maybe we should have look in the hedgerows on the main road to Reading as the farm there is growing another crop of the medicinal version this year - a field of white flowers looked quite impressive on Sunday so I suppose it won't be long before they are harvested and taken away to be processed to extract their 'medicinal' content.  Interesting to know that it's apparently worthwhile growing them in Britain although the reason they started was due to an alleged shortage of raw material for various pain killing medicines.

Anyway the good news was that the rain arrived 15 minutes earlier than the Exeter seaweed wranglers had forecast so a quick trip out for the 'paper and more compost then cooking myself a lunch of mushrooms and bacon - very tasty.  and it's rained off and on ever since.  In warmer climes the Good Doctor has now arrived in Athens and it looks like they've got the builders in on the Acropolis in her pics.  She please that a new air route has recently  opened between Skopje and Athens which saved her a rather wearing trip on a 'bus.  I'm not sure quite howe many countries she's ticked off on this trip but a large percentage of them didn't exist as independent countries when she was born - odd world isn't it?

• Like 18

24 minutes ago, brianusa said:

About ten years ago, our fair city decided roundabouts should replace some busy intersections.  Unfortunately they made them too small - two lanes only! :( This was because of encroaching buildings so there wasn't much room to begin with.  But obviously they are not big enough with the consequence that they aren't much use. 

I can't think of a single roundabout on a major road in the Greater Vancouver area. We do have some small ones as traffic-calming devices in residential areas, though. It's not unknown to see people who want to turn left (UK right) at an intersection with one of these roundabouts cutting across the quarter of the circle to the left, rather than making the 270 degree turn they should do.

Part of that may be genuine ignorance about how to use them, since they are so uncommon. Some years ago, Edmonton started taking out the few roundabouts on major roads. With drivers not being sure how to use them, they were judged to be more of a hazard than a help. Some were originally replaced by traffic lights, though those now seem to have be upgraded to flyovers and cloverleafs (they do have the space!).

Edited by pH
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I regularly straight line this mini=roundabout as the middle bit is just paint - the marks on it indicate that i'm not the only person to do that. (In fact it's dangerous from the other direction for seeing oncoming traffic when it doesn't straight line it  - typical poorly though out road design.)

536448721_straightline.jpg.59e50b89cd9051afe0f8a425f8d814b9.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

The local eediots in Leeds want to convert our large roundabout I to an asphalt jungle of road junctions. It is an accident black spot (13 accidents in 5 years) with no fatalities as yet. Last time they "improved " it by reducing it to two lanesehich has had a very negative effect on traffic flow.

It will , apparently,  "improve the running of the buses"yeh, right!

Of the 13 accidents more than half were cyclists t boning cars due to not stopping at the roundabout. Pah!

I have navigated both the super multi roundabouts. If you want to have fun try going round the anti clockwise:jester:

Baz

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

29 minutes ago, pH said:

It's not unknown to see people who want to turn left (UK right) at an intersection with one of these roundabouts cutting across the quarter of the circle to the left, rather than making the 270 degree turn they should do.

Yikes!

Roundabouts are becoming more common here in situations where previously there might have been a three or four-way stop. Generally they are only installed where there is new, or major re-construction. Most people seem to handle them well, but rarely do I see any attempt at using turning indicators. The use of turning signals at roundabouts is actually covered in the Oregon drivers manual. The latest one does have a section on roundabouts - including multi-lane usage. I think this is relatively new.  I can't actually think of a multi-lane example here.

I always found the indicating instructions in the Queensland drivers manual (initially signalling a right turn) when ultimately making a right turn around a roundabout, then switching to signalling a left before exiting) to be overly complex and unhelpful.

There's an intersection not far from the office that really would have benefited from a large, two-lane roundabout. It is very close to freeway on/off ramps and the freer flowing traffic of a roundabout would have been the perfect solution. Instead a signalled T intersection was built. Traffic is now over capacity and while they have engineered the signal timing to not back up the off ramp, it creates tail-backs in the other direction up to 1,500m or so during peak traffic times.

The county plans to extend what will become a major arterial road to divert traffic right into where the tail back ends today.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

I am lucky that my sister Drac has always  been very supportive.  While diabetes UK do some good work they can't get their heads around hereditary diabetes. In my case all of the males on my grandfather's side of the family have "caught" it.

However  the need to have Blood Pressure lower (considerably) compared to "healthy" people does cause problems. I got my own back by explaining where to stick their Statins (they are not always good for some people).

Biggest problem with Metformin is what it can do to your digestion. Be prepared!

And with that,

Goodnight  All!

Baz 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Pity its not night time here as I'm pooped!:boredom:  Had to get up early to await the DHL delivery man and I'm not used to that these days.  Only another eight hours..........:mellow:

Brian.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

We have had washing fun this evening. Aditi bought some new bath mats. They had their first wash this evening. There was a noise and the washing machine flashed up a code and “drain fault”. I accessed the drain panel (special tool stored in soap dispenser, I remembered that ). The pump was completely choked. I removed the blockage and all seems ok.  I hope this was just a first time wash problem. 

Tony

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Metformin is what it can do to your digestion. Be prepared!

Aditi had nasty digestive system problems with metformin. She mentioned it to the GP who prescribed the slow release version and no more problems. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. When I went on a fly drive holiday to the USA some forty years ago I stopped off at Gettysburg which had a roundabout of which the locals were very proud being only one of three in the entire USA at the time, it might even have been the first one in the USA. Incidently the first roundabout in the UK was installed in 1909 in Letchworth Garden City and its still there (Sollershott roundabout).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8