The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

A plane mirror just reflects what it sees.

If one holds, say, a book cover in front of a mirror and then views it from behind said book, it appears backwards. No magic (or smoke), just plain mirrors!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 5
  • Agree 5

Yippee! I "fixed" the water hammer.

Some or all of our neighbors have new-fangled washing-machines and they like to run them in the middle of the night. These machines "pulse" the water going it to the machine by rhythmically opening and closing solenoid valves. Unfortunately, every time a valve closes there is a sudden spike in the water pressure that travels along the main and creates a water hammer "thump" in our house. OK during the day but a PITA at 2:30 am.

There's a standpipe attached to the water main before it comes into the house. I've attached a hose with a closed valve at the end to the standpipe and opened the standpipe valve. No more water hammer. The snag is that's not going to work in the winter as it will freeze. I'll have to insert a hammer arrestor in the main where it enters the house under the stairs.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Getting stuff ready for tomorrows day out, snacks and drinks are waiting in the fridge and the tote bags and modelling tokens are at the ready.

1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

If one holds, say, a book cover in front of a mirror and then views it from behind said book, it appears backwards. No magic (or smoke), just plain mirrors!

An interesting effect is if two mirrors are placed in a right angled corner if you look into the corner you do not get a reverse image. This is because you are looking at the reflection via two mirrors. This is more often seen in mirror lined lifts. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Getting stuff ready for tomorrows day out, snacks and drinks are waiting in the fridge and the tote bags and modelling tokens are at the ready.

An interesting effect is if two mirrors are placed in a right angled corner if you look into the corner you do not get a reverse image. This is because you are looking at the reflection via two mirrors. This is more often seen in mirror lined lifts. 

And if you put 2 mirrors facing each other and position yourself inbetween and look into one you can see loads of yourself.

I'll get my jacket!

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

I was, of course, being slightly facetious.  But then I found myself wondering why a mirror doesn't invert images top and bottom as well as swapping right and left. I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation but it's an interesting question for anyone who wants to start a fight in a pub ;)

It's because of gravity. The mirror can divert the photons from left to right but doesn't have enough oomph to overcome gravity and make the lower level ones go uphill. :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Funny 19

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, TheQ said:

Find your nearest Screwfix or Toolstation, either of them is much better and much cheaper than the big sheds for small items like screws.

Screwfix is owned by Kingfisher.

As is B&Q................

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

After I’d finished breakfast this morning the sun had decided to show itself, so after checking the weather forecast, I decided to put the wetsuit outside on the washing line to dry and it remained. I usually dry it inside out first and when the inside is dry, turn it the right way and dry the out side. I did check it mid afternoon and the inside was dry, so I turned it the right way out for a couple of hours, I finally brought it in about 7:00 this evening and it seems dry! But I might put it out for a coup”e hours tomorrow just to be sure. 

This morning’s shopping expedition went without a hitch, I was even able to get myself a pastie. After dinner I sat and read a magazine for a while, before completing an eyelid inspection. Whilst doing so I was informed that a pig had found its way into the living room. Luckily said pig was quiet enough not to wake me!

Goodnight all 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 5
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

It’s just the way the app works. It uses the face-facing or “selfie” camera on the phone but doesn’t reverse the image to correctly present text to view.

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

I was, of course, being slightly facetious. 

It bewilders me why there isn't an "auto mirror" setting* on smart phone "selfie" cameras. (Perhaps there is but I haven't found on on my Android 'phone.) There is a photo editor which will happily let you mirror them back to normal, but that's an extra step.

* Just left to right Andy! :)

It's frequently obvious when there is signage in the photograph. I took one on a riverbank and of course the river was on the wrong side. Being fussy about such things I had to fix it. It also bothers me to see my hair parted on the wrong side. Of course it looks like my face in the mirror every morning, but I know it's flipped.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

If you really want to mess with left/right perception, there's this neurological experiment:

This series is phenomenal by the way.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, brianusa said:

So to counteract all this development and help nature and the environment, we planted native trees on the property as the lot is big enough.  After twenty years or so those trees are now around forty feet tall and the property doesn't seem so big!  At this rate they will soon be as tall as their older brethren in the green belt.

I really wanted a blue spruce in my front garden when I had the house built and landscaped. The landscaper put his foot down and refused, saying, "no, you don't have enough space".

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Does this mean the same thing as the American usage? High school prom?

How do the exotic motors come into the picture?

The end of term  School prom for the year 11s (15/16 year old) has invaded the UK from the US. Lots, but not all, of the kids turn up in various vehicles.

There were a number of years of constant oneupmanship, including the likes of helicopters, but these are now viewed as "not original".

Most of the limos, prestige, super cars are hired from the Bradford area with (and I'll leave this here) with matching standards of driving..............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The end of term  School prom for the year 11s (15/16 year old) has invaded the UK from the US.

Thanks - so "Junior Prom" would be the American equivalent. 

My son's birthday is at the end of April. This is "Senior Prom" season - the 12 graders, (generally) 18 years old. I like to take him out for his birthday and if we did this on a Saturday we frequently see prom attendees on a pre-prom dinner date.

My favourite of all time were two lads, dressed a la the movie "dumb and dumber". (Yes, this is "a thing", even to the ability to purchase such costumes.) They pulled it off and frankly looked hilarious.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, newbryford said:

Screwfix is owned by Kingfisher.

As is B&Q................

And toolstation was created by Mark Goddard Watts , 4years after he sold screwfix to BQ .

all three companies have theirs uses,  but as I say screwfix and toolstation are cheaper for small items like screw, and hardware like bracketry than BQ  .

It's always worth while having the free copies of toolstation and screwfix catalogues handy. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7