The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I did once threaten to take my target rifle to the Garden Railway show at Llanfair C some years ago, in order to shut up the dreadful choo choo, chuff chuff ding ding of a 'sound fitted' LGB loco on a small oval of track.

After about 15 minutes it was driving all the stall holders and fellow exhibitors in the immediate vicinity around the bend!

Fortunately the organisers had a word with the owner.

A match made in heaven:triniti:

• Like 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,  

As Gwiwr says,   I've not kept acquaintance of anyone from my school days,  I have by chance run into two from two different schools both strangely as they were behind the  bank counter.  One in Somerset one in the outer hebridies.. 

Talking of strange encounters..

I drove into the sailing club car park today  followed by... 

3 fire engines

Two fire support vans towing dories, 

The coast guard, 

Hemsby inshore life boat on a trailer. 

An ambulance, 

And the air ambulance  landed nearby... 

Why... 

Because a 22 year old man fell off a boat... 

By the time the fire brigade had stuttered up River with weed round the prop, the man had been rescued by his own compatriots.  Got into dry clothes,  with the only injury a cut finger.. 

The boat behind the wet man's boat had panicked and called out the cavalry... 

As for why I went to the sailing  club, I was PAT testing for 6.5 hours.. 

I. Failed one extension lead... No earth,  not even a wire for it,  definitely not allowed in a club general. Workshop where anything could get connected to it. 

I'm now knackered,  eye lid testing will follow this can of cider 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

If I could afford it, I'd have them all in hard plastic or aluminium gun boxes for transportation

Matthew used to play Warhammer at Games Workshop. Transporting  the models in robust containers meant that after much research the “official” Games Workship box was very similar to a pistol transportation box. These were clearly recognised as such in the US and led to some interesting conversations especially at airports like “it isn’t a firearm it is my Ork army”

Tony

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Yes John, do remember Monitor.  

Like the idea of 'proof' of a child having fun - but prefer the prints.  As  grandparents it was great to go on holiday with a pre-school child who was not afraid of climbing or walking 4 miles on a beach but the favourite was hide-and-seek.

Edited by PeterBB
Submitted before completion
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a great day at Ipswich today, spent oodles of modelling tokens, not all of it on myself and not all of it on models. On previous occasions I have spent the initial time there at the transport museum but last year a new event (IPMS show) threw the planned itinery out so this year we took the bus to the various events first leaving the museum to last which worked out far better even though there was an additional mini railway exhibition held in a pub! After chucking out time at the museum we made a visit to the local model railway emporium and disposed of more modelling tokens. Now feeling completely kernackered.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

It’s been wall to wall sunshine all day and being outside in it has been really quite refreshing, I’ve also had a very productive day as well. The TV aerial joint box was quite corroded and full of spider egg sacks. So it was removed from the aerial and taken to the workshop. There I completely dismantled it and cleaned up and as much corrosion was removed from the terminals as I could. I then re-made the cable termination, however, before reconnecting it up, I applied some conductive grease to each terminal, which I’m hoping will prevent further corrosion. Once everything was reconnected I then put tape around the cover of the box, especially around the cable entry point before refitting it to the aerial. Once I’d put away my ladders, I put my wetsuit out on the washing line to dry, I didn’t see the point of putting it out earlier, as it would have meant dodging it and the washing line with my extension ladders, which would have been quite tricky. As I’d just about got enough time before dinner, I set to dead heading the roses in the back garden. 

After dinner I did a bit of general tidying. There were quite a few weeds that seem to have appeared as if by magic, so I removed those and then moved to the front garden where I did the same.

Once I’d packed up for the day and come inside for a rest and a muggertea, there then followed another spot of eyelid inspection took place. Today there were no pigs reported in the living room, perhaps it’s moved next door!  

Baz and Mrs O. Happy anniversary

Goodnight all 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

We had a BBQ this evening and IT DIDN'T RAIN!!! I'm contacting the Guinness book of records as this is quite possibly the first time this has ever happened in North Swampshire.

I wonder if it's wise living in the same county as a gun-toting hippo?

G'night all 

Dave

• Like 5
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

John, Neil, and other caravan owners.  One tool I find handy is the headlamp (elastic mounted like a miner's lamp). At some point during a trip you'll need to go outside in the dark -- for me it was usually the water heater -- and this lamp leaves both hands free and points the light where you are looking, not where SWMBO thinks you are looking.

It's also handy working under the layout.

Railway club AGM today. We managed to find a new chairman, and the old chairman took his position.  On the table of free paper were two copies of Rapido's APT-E book.

TheVillage 25th anniversary had a parade followed by speeches and food trucks. The mayor was there and our president delighted in pointing out that with over 1000 people we were big enough to qualify as a small town.

• Like 18

Good morning one and all, with happy anniversary greetings to Mr and Mrs Baz.

Perhaps I can demystify Friday evening's post.  I had been told of the event at the Marine Hotel, Fleetwood, some weeks ago but somehow it did not make it into my diary.  When I was reminded of it on Friday some instant replanning of the weekend was required.   For many years the Marine Hall was the hub of Fylde Folk Festival, created and masterminded by the late Alan Bell.  Yesterday's event was a one day revival of the festival to celebrate Alan's life.  It comprised three concerts of which I attended two and was a fitting tribute to a well respected man.  Fleetwood is about 200 miles from Bedford and just about at the limit of what I am prepared to drive in one day.  Fortunately both legs of the journey were accomplished smoothly.  I met again several friends of long standing and was recognised as a Strawhead fan by a few more.  Strawhead, fyi, were my favourite band of all time and stopped performing about seven years ago.  It was a bit spooky, though not entirely unususal, to be recognised after all this time and shows that there is no hiding place!  Naturally I bought some CDs, from the back catalogue of Stanley Accrington and the current offering from the Wilson Family, and will need to visit the cash point imminently!

Once I have enjoyed a long hot wallow I shall spend today quietly and look at the week ahead tomorrow.  Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Overcast here at the moment but there is a hint of brightness in the sky to the east. A fine, warm and bright day is forecast.

A bit more done in the shed yesterday. I've added a couple more shelf brackets for the O gauge plank and cut some ply and will hopefully finish the boards tomorrow.  Then all I have to do is see if my plan works.   :scratchhead:There is no guarantee of success and I haven't (yet) got a Plan B.  :rolleyes::whistle::banghead:

Later this morning we're off to the South Coast to visit my old mate and we're looking forward to a great day.

Have a good one,

I.H. Aventgottaclue.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Baz. I woke up about an hour and a half ago and couldn't get back to sleep again so here I am. In all I spent about 110 modelling tokens yesterday but a few of those went on refreshmments. The young man somehow manages to get behind a layout and often operating the controls, yesterday he managed the same both at the model railway club and at the model engineers (Gauge I radio controlled). Arthur Itis has objected to my perambulations this morning so a long hot soak in the bath is in order, be back later. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

6 hours ago, BR60103 said:

John, Neil, and other caravan owners.  One tool I find handy is the headlamp (elastic mounted like a miner's lamp). At some point during a trip you'll need to go outside in the dark -- for me it was usually the water heater -- and this lamp leaves both hands free and points the light where you are looking, not where SWMBO thinks you are looking.

It's also handy working under the layout.

The major use for the one I have is picking up dog poo in the dark

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Belated wishes to Mr & Mrs Barry O

Morning, more cloud than sun up here with a firm breeze, but not too cold, the greenhouse has automatic vents on the roof which open when it hits a temp of 20 degrees in there, I know if I will need long sleeves or not on their position, today is a short sleeve day hooray, have a good one all.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

The major use for the one I have is picking up dog poo in the dark

People into astronomy and astral photography use head torches but with a red light as it doesn’t impact your eyes’ sensitivity as much as white light, thereby preserving your night vision. I have not owned a dog so I don’t tend to search out dog poo at night and can not vouch for the efficacy of light in the lower range of the spectrum in spotting rover’s rocky refuse. SWMBO is, on the other hand, rather adept at locating such things with her shoes.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

We had a BBQ this evening and IT DIDN'T RAIN!!! I'm contacting the Guinness book of records as this is quite possibly the first time this has ever happened in North Swampshire.

I wonder if it's wise living in the same county as a gun-toting hippo?

G'night all 

Dave

Consider it close (ish) protection

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15