The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I was just wondering what about lorry drivers stuck in another country and those in this country unable to get home?

It's a big problem for foreign students whose dormitories and refectories have closed (at least in the US, perhaps there are provisions for them in the UK).

I did see a TV interview where a friend's family was willing to let a foreign student (I quickly noticed the Australian accent) stay with them.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16

2 hours ago, brianusa said:

Not only EQs, but various volcanoes dot the PNW ready to do untold damage along with the possible tsunamis. 

The good news is that with our particular volcanoes, we are likely to have lots of warning. They are positively crawling with seismometers and with the possible exception of Hawaii and Italy are probably the most monitored volcanoes in the world.

The earthquakes won't come with much if any warning and the tsunamis will be earthquake generated. Does Gig Harbor consider itself in a "tsunami zone"? I would think not since most of the sound and other islands would shelter you first.

The Oregon and Washington coasts are very much in the "tsunami zone". There was extensive damage (I believe it was Crescent City, California) when the 2011 Japanese tsunami crossed the Pacific. There was damage in Santa Cruz and Santa Catalina Island as well.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 13

5 minutes ago, newbryford said:

From (I believe)  the last mainland state to record Covid cases - West Virginia. Although she was in Vegas for Spring Break and then stopped off at Pittsburgh on the way home from WV

West Virginia was indeed the last state to have someone test positive.

I'm glad that she made it home (and that she chose Vegas, rather than Florida or New Orleans for spring break).

• Like 16
  • Agree 1