The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A'noon

Lazy day, as I am shattered.  Energy levels hardly registering, despite intravenous coffee.  Two part timers holding the fort at work, good people.  One internee isolating full time person should be back on Tuesday if the all clear is given, that'll help a lot.  Three have self-isolated for the duration, which is fair enough, can't say I blame them. One death here now and 114 positive tests.

I took my car to the garage early doors for new pads all round and hopefully not discs, but it has done 40k now so maybe, and that'll be the excitement for the day and mucho mudelling tokens removed from my grip.  Debs has been moved from the general hospital in the Big City for duties in the local cottage hospital in the bright lights of Royal Ramsey just 5 miles away so I can use her car for taking the shopping home, as she shopped at the early doors NHS/Carers/emergency services hour at the supermarket, while I sat in the car like a lemon.  Better safe than sorry.  Must remember to collect her later....ahem.

There was little fruit and veg though, a disappointment.  We get some at a local honesty stall fresh out of the field but of course there's not much of that at this time of year.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Overall this lot put all the utilities to shame in their organisation

I've had similar in my part of Huddersfield too, Mike a couple of weeks ago.  All parts of the process seemed to be quick and efficient, yet carried out with the minimum number of people.  The tidying up afterwards was thorough too.  I was impressed.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not much arrived in the post today, just my bank statement and more junk mail for another furniture sale, can't help having a snigger at that. The bank statement revealed that the modelling tokens are accumulating at a steady rate, one advantage of lockdown I suppose.

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

Greetings fellow Zombie Apocalypse survivors. The anti-tank mines planted around Schloss iD are doing the trick of keeping out the monstrous hordes. Although the, now admittedly less frequent, loud explosions do have the unfortunate effect of putting one off one’s stroke...

In regards to dressing oneself, it wasn’t that long ago that even Gentlemen of modest means had a “Gentleman’s Gentleman” or valet, and skilled professionals - physicians, lawyers and the like - employed staff (Mrs iD’s maternal Grandfather was a GP who had household staff of a housekeeper and a gardener/handyman. Mrs iD’s maternal Grandmother kept her maid/housekeeper until they both went into sheltered accommodation). I would absolutely love to have my own valet as deep down I am a Beau Brummel. Whilst I can shine shoes to a mirror finish and iron trousers with razor sharp creases (not to mention colour coordinate and materials coordinate what I am wearing), I’d love to have someone take on that work. As for style, well “eclectic” would be the theme, with Edwardian garb just taking the nod from the 1930’s.

Regarding “who wrote Shakespeare’s plays” that has been the topic that has kept many a third rate academic in tenure (the final word on the futility of that exercise is in the joke that goes “I’d like you to meet Professor Smith, he’s spent the last 30 years proving that the plays of William Shakespeare were actually written by another man with the same name”). Assuming the theatre hasn’t changed that much since then, it is likely that each play was drafted and then revised according to audience reaction and input from director and actors. Often what reads well on a page doesn’t work on stage (and vice versa). And I’m still hoping that the lost folio “the wicked wench of Scunthorpe” will turn up.

To be pedantic, what everyone has been describing as “custard“ is actually nothing of the sort. What most of Britain recognises as custard is cornflour, annatto colouring, sugar and milk (if lucky). Whereas, real custard - a.k.a.“Créme Anglaise” - is a mixture of cream, egg yolks, vanilla bean seeds and sugar cooked fairly slowly in a bain marie. Given that the average skool cook would have had neither the funds for the ingredients, or the time to prepare it properly, no wonder Mr Bird’s creation has captured the imagination (and taste buds) of the UK. And, yes, I do enjoy Bird’s custard but it has to be hot and thick (although cold and thick is also pleasant enough).

Finally, having rediscovered my modelling Mojo I have spent more than a few hours of the lockdown building several GWR wagon kits that I had in stock. Unfortunately, now that it comes time to paint them, I have found that my GWR enamel colours have all dried out, so I must find out what Tamiya acrylic colours (or mixture of colours) best represent GWR colours (anyone who knows, please p.m. me).

Stay fit, stay healthy

iD

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Hot custard should be poured over ginger nut biscuits and when cool put in the fridge overnight and consumed chilled...…………………………………...

Never heard of that. But it does sound good!

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon,  spent the day in the shed on the tree making project all going well.

Something must be in the air as my other half has been baking this afternoon, a lovely coffee cake o be consumed later on.

Youngest Son  heard that some food wholesalers were opening their doors to the general public as obviously the demand from catering venues has fallen. After ringing a couple he found an Italian food wholesaler about 3 miles from him so off he went. He now has enough  Dried Pasta/Tinned tomatoes  and various other bits to last  3 to 4 months and at an unbelievable low price so he is well chuffed but unhappy about the supermarket prices in terms of mark up!

Shame when this all over (eventually) he will have to go back to paying the normal price!

Other than that all well.

Take care All

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 45156 said:

Dinner tonight will be one of my speciality flat omelettes made with bacon, mushrooms, peppers, ham and cheese with saute potatoes.  Made with five or six eggs it serves two quite well.

Sounds like there'd be enough to share with a young Bear Cub.  Hold the mushrooms on mine.....

• Like 7
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon from a now sunny Surrey.

Been busy laying track on the new high level test circuit. Just one side of the shed in place ill the timber is delivered in  just over a weeks time. Cant wait to start running stuff that hasnt had much use in some years and other items  that dont look as if they will get much use this year.

I suspect that there are quite a few of us missing shows and apres beer afterwards but best we get rid of this virus first.

Anyway time to crack ope another Wye valley Wholesome stout.

20200403_165138.jpg

20200403_160938.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1