The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Mr.S.corn78

Early Risers.

6 minutes ago, pH said:

I see from Wiktionary(!!) that use of the term in Australia has decreased. I first heard of the confusion from a female Australian co-worker who had tried to buy adhesive tape in a John Smith's in Cambridge soon after arriving in the UK.

I had a similar problem trying to get an eraser from the department's admin.

• Funny 17

Posted (edited)

There was a report in the papers a couple of days ago about someone who got caught stealing PPE equipment. He's looking at a custodial sentence but sadly the PPE equipment he stole is possibly contaminated and now rendered useless.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

matters beneath the North American continent currently. It is not an area we were taught about other than in general terms - there simply isn’t scope for that within a first degree course concentrating on British geology. 

Tend to agree but whilst in my last year in high school back home, our geography class featured this area of the PNW so I had a fair idea of what went on here, which stood me in good stead.  What I didn't expect was the tribal influence with names that were hard to pronounce or spell even but after the Spanish influence of our time in California, it didn't take that long to get the idea here either.

Brian.

• Like 19

13 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Then again if "HE" choses not to wear one, we can only hope for the best outcome :jester:

I must protest at the "Joke" Emoji - I find it most inappropriate....  ;)

• Funny 12

12 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

...snip... but I don't think that turning it off will make you untraceable. You would need to leave it at home.

Better yet, remove the battery if you can.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

I'd NEVER leave a Diesel engined car in gear as it doesn't need the electrical system on to fire! (Compression only combustion, ...snip...

Ah, true, but how would the compression be attained without cranking the engine?

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Better yet, remove the battery if you can.

And wear a tinfoil hat mask

• Funny 15

Evening, a rather quiet day due to inclement weather in these parts, did get video calls from both kids and grandkids, so that was nice, take care all. G'night

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Chris116 said:

So the Houses of Parliament must be a successful corporation! What is even worse is that an election is normally won by the most convincing liar.

You could substitute "Congress" for "Houses of Parliament" and still be correct! :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

Goodnight to most!

Good evening to some

Good morning to others.

Baz

• Thanks 8

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, brianusa said:

So which is it?  To wear or not to wear, having been SI for more than two weeks now, we have all heard the pros and cons.  I wouldn't know where to get the masks as evidently they are in short supply and more useful to first responders anyway.

Brian, it should always have been "wear" (while in public) but officialdom did not want people hoarding the medical grade PPE or even the construction grade N95 respirators.

Ideally non-healthcare/first responders should not be using up medical grade PPE but other masks. You do not need to wear them at home (unless tending someone who is COVID-19 positive).

If someone in your household can sew, there are plenty of patterns available online with many YouTube tutorials. Even CNN got into the act by providing a basic pattern and instructions. If not you might be able to source non-medical grade masks on websites like etsy.com.

I don't have one either. Nor have I been able to source the disinfecting wipes I prefer.

4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

... wearing them (so long as NOT using those more suited to medical staff and hording them inappropriately) is better than NOT wearing them, IMHO.

Agreed. This should have been the message from the beginning, but clearly the decision was that the public could not be trusted. Panic purchase of toilet paper demonstrates the accuracy of this assessment.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Would a high-gloss varnish not be effective? (Or perhaps it is polyurethane varnish to which you refer?)

Yep, it is high gloss polyurethane varnish,  I have a 2.5 litre can,  mostly unused, left over from a previous project... 

• Like 12