The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, iL Dottore said:

I am truly curious, what does make a “just” war? Every war is a “just” war from one side’s perspective. Whilst, morally, one could claim that no war is a “just” war and war itself represents a failure of politics and economics, I think that there have been conflicts that have been morally justified. 

People misunderstand.

It's not 'a just war', you need to lose the a!

Its 'just war'. 

von Clauzwitz was probably nearest with the truth when he wrote that 'War is the continuation of politics by other means.'

I can't really think of a war that was not started by  a politician of some sort, although I am happy to be pointed  to one that was not.

• Like 13
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Seems all you pink engine types must think at a similar pace:D.  Maybe I ought to delve out one of the photos in my collection which shows one of those pink 'spinner' single driver thingies on a coal train to keep you occupied? :unsure:

You missed the opportunity to suggest it takes two of us to get anywhere...

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Apparently we are now required to keep 307 bee-spaces apart.  

I'll count them all :jester:  

https://www.convertunits.com/from/bee+space/to/cm

You're too close..  By .6923076923077 of a bee ,  stand back STAND BACK!!! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Plenty of sliced bread at Tess Coes, in fact it looks as if they sliced most of what came out of the ovens. I also decided to buy fresh contents for the pasta to be cooked in the slow cooker so I've got fresh mushrooms, onions and peppers with tomato puree and some fresh penne. I'd forgotten to change the sheets yesterday so I did so this afternoon and I managed to subdue both the duvet and its cover, no doubt they will try to get their own back later.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, pH said:

But what about lower-income middle-American 16 year-olds?

Actually younger Americans are a very active political cohort, which generalized, has a different preference than what Ian was talking about.

I like our self-imposed guidelines about "no politics". While personally speaking, I enjoy today's discussion and would love to join in with some enthusiasm, (particularly having recently watched a three-part National Geographic documentary on the Ancient Greeks noting just how short the period of Athenian democracy really was) I won't.

Having said that, I do have a quick question for Flavio @iL Dottore without being too personal and not knowing at what point in life he moved to Switzerland, is whether he performed national service there? (I assume so.) Professionally I know many Israelis, who of course also are required to serve.

I witnessed what happened to a handful of ERs who now only irregularly contribute due to a dust up over the contentious "B" word which confirmed in my mind why it is so useful to our little (gender-inclusive) fraternity that we not discuss politics.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Where it gets "political" is when people start getting personally insulting

I would say that's not "political" conversation Flavio, but ad hominem, which is of course out of bounds anyway.

To me at least, any discussion of any contemporary, real, (versus hypothetical) government or political party's policies or practitioners is a "political" discussion, particularly when it has a national scope.  There are of course exceptions. I don't think any of us will worry about complaining about the local council's bus or garbage service as "political speech".

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Apparently we are now required to keep 307 bee-spaces apart.

It's been amusing to see how many "keep apart" visualisations are out there.

I've seen:

• One polar bear (I think that was here on RMweb somewhere)
  • One (adult) alligator (Florida of course)
  • A ski (what is the subset of the population that goes skiing?)
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Sadly we are adjacent to THREE of only four remaining states that have not/refuse to enact a stay-at-home order. Notably, Iowa, and North and South Dakota, they insist that they are smaller populations and spread out so don't need to have any order - no accounting for stupid!

Using their logic, and based on Australias average population density of 3 people per square km we shouldn't have needed any controls either!  Our lockdowns and distancing measures apply to every part of the country no matter how sparsely populated ,  and travelling between states is  largely banned. So far it seems to be working given we've had under 6000 cases so far and the rate of new cases is dropping, and  only  48 deaths - many of those from a single cruise ship that was allowed to berth and release passengers before test results were returned.

Given the US love of suing everyone for anything, would  there not be the likelihood of many officials and districts (and maybe even administrations)  facing huge claims in the future?

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Given the US love of suing everyone for anything, would  there not be the likelihood of many officials and districts (and maybe even administrations)  facing huge claims in the future?

While it is possible in some cases, generally it is difficult to sue the government. A law can be challenged for legitimacy. I'm no lawyer but can't think of examples where a governor was sued for foolishness in failing to act.

The Federal Government has advised that social distancing be implemented through April. It is up to the states individually to execute this. Most (excepting nine) have.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It's been amusing to see how many "keep apart" visualisations are out there.

I've seen:

• One polar bear (I think that was here on RMweb somewhere)
  • One (adult) alligator (Florida of course)
  • A ski (what is the subset of the population that goes skiing?)

"One kangaroo" is reported quite widely across Australia;  you would want to know your kangas from your wallabies ;)   Only one report so far of "One Bunnings snag-tent"

• Funny 14

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

.  Over the years people have come and gone from ERs for whatever reason they chose and it is perhaps not for us who are still here to pass judgement on their motives for doing so especially as in some cases they simply didn't visit becaudse they didn't have the time to do so.

Mr Stationmaster has hit the proverbial nail on the head and besides KZ has only been gone a short time.

Brian.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, polybear said:

You're supposed to cut it into portions?  I never knew.....  :fool:

You are Happy Hippo in disguise and I claim my £10.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold

Local arrived in Waupaca to shunt switch the mill.

Isn't Virtual Railfan wonderful.

When the movement restrictions are over, Ian Abel could pop over and have a look as it's local to him........about 200 miles east which for the USA is local:laugh_mini:.

• Like 6
  • Funny 10

33 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

While it is possible in some cases, generally it is difficult to sue the government. A law can be challenged for legitimacy. I'm no lawyer but can't think of examples where a governor was sued for foolishness in failing to act.

The Federal Government has advised that social distancing be implemented through April. It is up to the states individually to execute this. Most (excepting nine) have.

I did  quick google search and came up with a recent story where some people ARE suing their governors over their coronavirus response ,....  its a golf course owner suing  because lockdowns WERE applied -  without making golf an essential service!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/us/corona-virus-lawsuits.html

Apparently gun store owners are similarly aggrieved..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Ian Abel could pop over and have a look as it's local to him........about 200 miles east which for the USA is local:laugh_mini:.

Pah - not even worth wondering about over here, 200 miles is somewhere to "pop over for tea" :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15

9 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Ian Abel could pop over and have a look as it's local to him........about 200 miles east which for the USA is local:laugh_mini:.

Pah - not even worth wondering about over here, 200 miles is somewhere to "pop over for tea" :)

Not that I'd recommend it on a regular basis, but when Jemma was at the Univ. of North Dakota I did pop up there one time to drop off one of our cars when hers was in the shop for a transmission replacement.

Left after an early breakfast and back in time for a late dinner :O

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

A pink super moon Was The forecast tonight best seen in Scotland.  Although with the brightness the walk from the MhRC was easily seen. 

I think the correct distance between two people is a pair of Collies in tandem.. 

It is however not really bright enough in the MhRC  it's a comfortable light as an evening lounge  but not bright enough for detailed muddling or SWMBOs crafting. Considerations are going on into either additional lighting or replacing the current fluorescent mini bulbs with dimmable cool white LED. 

SWMBO spent part of the day reorganizing the pantry now she can easily reach all the shelves... From the depths of the back a box of nestles nesquik powder,  best before 3, 3, 10...... Anyone want a yellowy sugary brick? 

While she was doing that I installed the battens in her art paper and card storage area.  If it works many brownie points will be earnt. 

Later I sanded and filled the keel, wearing a even heavier duty mask than the one I wore on the escape from lock down.  A.  final sand tomorrow and that piece is ready for fibreglassing.

As I had the varnish out at the MhRC I also varnished the inkle loom now she has finished decorating it.  More points accumulated I hope.. 

So  muggachoccy drunk,  it's goodnight from me and a goodnight to you Awl. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Local arrived in Waupaca to shunt switch the mill.

Isn't Virtual Railfan wonderful.

I like watching Ashland VA. There is a plan to pass through there later this year if CV allows it.

If you look at the North Cam - there's a model railway store with a cafe either side. (To deposit Mrs NB in.....)

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3