The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

not enough coffee!

Baz

I hope the bruises and aches heal quickly. A good nights sleep will work wonders with any luck. All the best.

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I did try an I-pad but no thanks, its now laying dead in the back of a cupboard. I've noticed that if this computer is getting a bit too warm it starts to slow down so I switch it off for half an hour. I should be getting my other computer back soon but it will be handy to have both computers as this one is more powerful but uses more battery power. Tea is brewing so its be back later.

Take a look on ebay for a replacement fan.  Got to be worth a punt.  Alternatively, try a laptop cooler pad, such as this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooling-HAVIT-Laptop-Cooler-Lighting/dp/B00NNMB3KS

- there a several makes, styles, prices...

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

18 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

1024 got accepted on 6 May, meaning it’s now got eight years to go till its first full revision. Still got that nice showroom fragrance, too! :smoke:

They could have called it "Two To Tenth"

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

Amongst all the Covid, Donald Trump and race riots, some happy news from the good ole US of A; The Wonderland Express Train is back just in time for Christmas, at only $144.99 plus another $20 shipping,  In this era of Prime shipping, thats a bit of an insult to add to the injurious price charged for this injurious object!  And don't forget, comes with a Certificate of Authenticity though, which must mean its very valuable:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Cheers all. :bye_mini:

Got a slight feeling of déjà-vu right now, which I guess is unsurprising since I got the same shift thrice in a row... :jester:

mobile.1128kfd.jpeg

Why are modern trolleys so ugly? I am guessing that it has four trucks; one in front, one under each articulation joint, and one under the rear?

When I worked for the local transit agency (bus only) one part of my job was to ride and count where passengers boarded and alighted. One day I was with a driver whom I knew well and when we got to the end he told me "I do not care if the wheels fall off, I am not calling it in to 1500 (dispatch)." Why, I asked. " It is a brand-new bus, the first time out in service; that will never happen to me again. Ever!".

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

So far, all the decorative pieces have had one coat of white on one side, once the first side has had a second coat, I turn everything over and start again. I managed to get one of the trellis pieces done, but it was a right sh!t to do, I’ve wrecked on paint brush in the process.

Painting a trellis [*] is like painting model rail sides and chairs - it destroys brushes.

[*] I have pair of metal gates to do soon. Another one of those painting jobs that is more "dabbing" than proper brush strokes.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Why are modern trolleys so ugly? I am guessing that it has four trucks; one in front, one under each articulation joint, and one under the rear?

When I worked for the local transit agency (bus only) one part of my job was to ride and count where passengers boarded and alighted. One day I was with a driver whom I knew well and when we got to the end he told me "I do not care if the wheels fall off, I am not calling it in to 1500 (dispatch)." Why, I asked. " It is a brand-new bus, the first time out in service; that will never happen to me again. Ever!".

Five bogies: Two each under the first and last module, and one under the centre joint. :yes:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

In short one can “prove” anything with statistics. It was also well said that “There are lies, damned lies and statistics”. 

Having heard this for many years, can someone clarify what is meant by a "damned lie"?

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

9 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

Having heard this for many years, can someone clarify what is meant by a "damned lie"?

Think ‘Mr. Trump’.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, BR60103 said:

There is, of course, a Wikipedia page.

It has a 19th century sensibility. An outrageous lie, or Herr Goebbels' (attributed) "Big lie" (große Lüge) are relevant interpretations.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2