Vintage railway track Fish Belly

Cast or Wrought iron ? Thats a rather important detail.

The cast iron ones are going to be tricky as they don't have a continuous profile but could be etched (in two sides) or perhaps die cast or even white metal ? (small mould at least and lots of casts at 3 scale feet a length) - does it need to conduct or is this a diorama ?

The wrought iron rail in 15' or so lengths has a different profile and was rolled. Given OO rail is available in things like code 100 and the real rail is probably *very* much lower it can probably be converted with an enormous amount of filing, as you don't have to worry about a widening base of the rail as with the cast ones, or maybe etched - can't be drawn because of the shape.

Ambis Model Engineering sell something like this - I may have a packet squirrelled away somewhere from my '009' days. As far as I know he isn't on the web, so you'll have to resort to good old fashioned pen and ink (and a SAE).

Ambis Engineering

Alan Austin, 27 Stanhope Gardens, Ilford, Essex, IG1 3LQ

Hope this helps

Andy

I've just dug out the pack of rail I have (by some miracle of nature it was exactly where I thought it was!).

Each pack makes 36 feet of track (ie. 144mm in 4mm scale). It is nickel silver, and comes with a page of instructions.

post-8055-093165900 1286481927_thumb.jpg

post-8055-022808600 1286481942_thumb.jpg

post-8055-047178400 1286481954_thumb.jpg

Andy

How much do you want for it Andy, feel free to send me a pm.

Thank you I appreciate your help.

Sorry - we seem to be at crossed purposes. I don't particularly want to sell the rail. I posted the photos so you could see what you get in a pack.

If your friend is building a layout that uses a lot of the rail it may be worth contacting Ambis to see if he would produce a batch for him.

Andy

Archived