Proto 2000 GP7 Number lights

Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

I do hope this query makes sense!

I've just acquired a Proto 2000 high hood GP7 with a Lenz silver decoder via a well known online auction site. The loco is fine (my very first Lenz decoder!) but I want to change the number from 5100. I don't have any problems changing the decoder number, it is the number displayed on the illuminated number board. Is there a standard way of doing this and keeping the illumination(by somehow keeping the transparency but reapplying numerals?) or do I just change it (paint, decals) and stop the illumination. I haven't opened it up yet but I assume it is a light guide that needs hacking if I want to remove the illumination.

Tony

Hi Tony, I've made new number board decals using decal paper and a colour printer, which is fairly simple, you just need to get the font style and size right, the paper I used is by Crafty Computer Paper. To get the old number off, I'd suggest polishing it off with metal polish after first taking the light guide out.

Nick

I do hope this query makes sense!

I've just acquired a Proto 2000 high hood GP7 with a Lenz silver decoder via a well known online auction site. The loco is fine (my very first Lenz decoder!) but I want to change the number from 5100. I don't have any problems changing the decoder number, it is the number displayed on the illuminated number board. Is there a standard way of doing this and keeping the illumination(by somehow keeping the transparency but reapplying numerals?) or do I just change it (paint, decals) and stop the illumination. I haven't opened it up yet but I assume it is a light guide that needs hacking if I want to remove the illumination.

Microscale decals sells number board material that have clear numbers with a black background or back numbers on a white background. I don't have the engine you are talking about but generally you remove the old numbers and apply decals for the new numbers.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Nick and Dave.

I'll follow the advice about removing the existing decal. I've got some of the Crafty Computer paper so I'll have a go initially at making my own though so far my attempts have been rather poor with other decals! I made some quite acceptable looking ones for Ma&Pa steam locomotives and cabooses, but made a complete mess of actually getting them on the models! It was a case of if at first you don't succeed, try again but not yet. I thought the difficult bit would be the designing printing and waterproofing not the application. If I fail (again) I'll try the Microscale suggestion.

Tony

Archived