Rotherbrook

Ruston

Blimey, I never expected anyone to post in this again. It's a pity all the photos have gone from this page - I knew those pictures in my gallery were there for a reason! They were linked in to this thread and I've erased them all - what an idiot I am!

Yes, Arthur, it's still up there in the loft but I've neither run it or worked on it for a while now. The electrics were never brilliant but when I was using the layout but it worked. Then I robbed the CDU for the point motors on BT&S, took a controller for it (before deciding on DCC) and then had no idea what the mess of wires were that were dangling under the baseboards when I came to put the parts back. There's enough multi-coloured spaghetti under there to circle the earth!

Fixing it would involve me laying on my back, in the gloom, with a soldering iron whilst getting up and down to test the track with a multimeter... Somehow I just can't see it happening.

Once I've got BT&S to a stage of completion that I'm happy with I'll probably rip this one up and start again, at least with the wagon works and ironworks areas - I'll keep all the buildings and relocate them on whatever new boards I build.

The canal basin and exchange sidings were wired seperately and in a more methodical way and I was more satisfied with the scenics and running qualities of those parts so they'll stay as they are. The colliery and coking plant will be finished too, some day!

The general layout will probably change so the tracks go around all 4 walls, thus eliminating the tight curves in the hidden parts, allowing close coupling of coaching stock, and allowing true 4-track mainlines.

I've kinda shifted from an interest in main line stuff at the moment so It'll need a few visits to diesel galas to get that BR blue running in my veins again and It'll be difficult to adjust to N gauge after 7mm. :scratchhead:

• 2 months later...

amazing layout, a real inspiration to me as a moddeler of industrial in N. glad i found this im sure it will be worth a few good looks over. would love to see more pics. honestly one of the best layouts on this site

really couldnt agree more, im shocked that this layout hasnt been more noticed, its got it all. brilliant scratch building, prototypical industry, interesting track plan, amazing urban and rural scenes and some of the best industrial N gauge ive ever seen. really couldnt ask for more... except more pictures maybe  :blum: 

Some pictures which may or may not be already on the previous pages.

Millmoor

11209013.jpg

11209008.jpg

S8301541.jpg

S8301702.jpg

The canal basin

canalbasin017.jpg

canalbasin013.jpg

Sheffield Road

D1.jpg

Colliery exchange sidings

exchange.jpg

exch003.jpg

exch018.jpg

industrialsteam027.jpg

industrialsteam016.jpg

st011.jpg

Rotherbrook Castings & Engineering

24.jpg

rb29508b.jpg

rb29508d.jpg

road001.jpg

S8301891.jpg

S8300558.jpg

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting the pics.  Rotherbrook is one of my all-time favourites here on RMWeb.  It would be great to see it up and running again, but I can empathise with you re: the work needed to get it going again.

The layout just ooozes character, love it  :yes:

Cheers

Lee

• 3 months later...
Guest bri.s

Still one of my favourites I come back to this thread now and again for a bit of inspiration

Remember going through Sheffield inbetween all the steel works seeing all the railways and tracks that cross the roads from one building to another

Inspired of southyorkshire

Brian

I've always loved this layout, having spent a fair bit of time in Sheffield and Rotherham, it captures the atmosphere of the area perfectly. I'd love to do a modern image take on a similar concept but it's never going to happen!  :beee:

I'd love to do a modern image take on a similar concept but it's never going to happen!  :beee:

Imagine how dull a modern version would be. Rotherbrook Castings & Engineering would now be "retail park", the wagon works would have been demolished and replaced by clone office units and the canal basin would now be a "marina". The colliery and coking plant would be a country park with half a winding wheel set in concrete...

And inside the railway fence the semphores would have been ripped up and replaced by colour lights, the signalboxes demolished and trains controlled from a portakabin 20 miles away. Millmoor shed would be derelict with the tracks ripped up and all its windows put through with nothing inside now but pigeons and their droppings.

The class 40 or 37 on a train of 16-ton minerals from a local colliery would be replaced by an imported locomotive taking imported coal to a power station somewhere...

• 3 years later...

I've just read through all of this and I can't believe that I will have been on this forum for 10 years soon. I also can't believe that it's over 4 years since anything was done with this layout.

I think it's time that Beeching's axe fell on Rotherbrook and the stock was sold to raise money for something new.

Archived