Deesdale Road, (Now owned by Peter BB)

Andrew P

Hi Guy's and Girl's. Well I was getting board and with Glen Roy and St Budoc finished it was time to stop Idle hands syndrome setting in so I had to do something with the stock I have and the timber I have available. A board again donated by my mate George ( GEORGE T ) 53 inches x 9 inches I added my Fully Folding Fiddle Yard to one end and 2 inches to the width at the other end (not sure weather to continue this the full length yet or not ) Deesdale Road is a modern terminus set around mid Derbyshire possibly west of Matlock and was once a prosperous mining town but now serves mainly tourist, walkers and pot holers. It is served by trains from North Wales, Manchester,Sheffield, York, Birmingham and Nottingham and has a small engineers yard about a mile away and occasionally ballast and spoil trains are stored in the two spare sidings. much work still needs to be done but it should prove a quickie before I start my next BIG project. I must admit that after building the last two small layouts I do enjoy the smaller layouts as they get finished before I get board with them. We will see if that is true this time with DEESDALE ROAD

post-9335-083949700 1287090741_thumb.jpg

post-9335-089261100 1287090795_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

Thanks George, I now have the colour light signals fitted and the back wall support is in place, The platform surface and sides are also done, pic's to follow as I am at work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The front facia board and road bridge are next and then I will start balasting. I may put an extention board on to give another 18 inches of running into the fiddle yard.

After much deliberation I was not to happy with the station entrance, I was going to miss a run round loop for the wagons and so I have added some more pointwork. The passenger stock will still use the 3 way point but the freight will use the other line from the new bigger fiddle yard and will use platform 1 to run around it's wagons. A new board will be added for the fiddle yard and possibly a warehouse of some sort in front of the fiddle yard for more operation.       

post-9335-085943500 1287777727_thumb.jpg

post-9335-061875800 1287777772_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

A start? Blimey you work quick Andrew!

First class modelling as always.

Andy

PS, I believe we share first an surnames!

Hi Andy, I only spend about an hour 4 or 5 nights a week ( it has to be better than watching some of the soaps on telly) and 2 - 3 hours during the day when I am off shift which is a lot lot better than daytime tv.

Hi Andrew,

I like what you have done in the small space you have to model in, and wow! you model quickly! i have been working on my layout Whitefield Ln for ages and have still not got to the stage your at yet!

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

very impressive andy.looks different from when i seen it in the flesh! how will you disguise the fiddle yard entrance? road overbridge maybe? keep up the good work,bob

Hi Bob, this will be an over bridge, I have been on holiday for a week so back on the job tommorrow. Do the fiddle yard and the bridge, finish the embankment and that will be ready for the Wychnor on Trent mince pie open weekend. If anybody is coming the entry is NOW FREE this year ( NOV 27TH 28TH 10am - 4pm ) due to the O Gauge layout not running the full length. This is due to work on the new terminus station.

Hi, fab layout, love the timber fencing. The Dutch 37, is it a Vi model? its very nice....

All the best

Leon

Mornig Leon, The 37 is a Bachmann but needs a major weathering job, hopefully it will be done next week, once done I will post some more pic's

Thanks, looking forward to seeing more, I found the Bachmann 37....Sold out everywhere.....:(

Hi Leon, I had a VI Trains Dutch 37 very heavily weathered on my Kingsmill Layout and it was brilliant it ran a treat so if you can't find a Bachmann one don't be afraid of VI Trains. I have just had another look at your South Wales Freight and I will have to add low relief factories behind the station fence. All the best Andy. 

Hi all, The new board was fitted up  today and is a mirror image of the station board, i.e. 9 inches wide at the center and opening out to 11 inches at the ends. The boards are joined together with a hinge to form a folded box and the hinges will be hidden with a road bridge the same as every body else dose. The new board will house the 30 inch fiddle yard ( 3 x seacows OR 4 x short spoil wagons and a 37 size loco ). in front of this will be the G-TAP Ltd, Distribution Warehouse and one siding. The glue is still drying which is why I've come in to write these notes and once dry I will take some pic's and post on here. Big Bob has done a really nice weathering job on some VGA  ( PICS TO FOLLOW ) ready for the layouts first outing at the Gresley & Wychnor clubs open weekend on the 27 & 28th of Nov (FREE ADMISSION THIS YEAR ). 

post-9335-072709500 1289845339_thumb.jpg

post-9335-057815900 1289845350_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

hi,

congratualtions on building such a nice layout so far, keep it up!

what did you use for your baseboard top?? (the green looking stuff you laid the track on)

many thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim, The base I use is from B & Q and comes in packs of about 10, 2ft x 2.5 ft. I used to use the ones from Wicks which were better for what I wanted them for but there's is more like a carpet now, so no good, it is made for laying under wood flooring as a sound insulator. The B & Q boards don't cut as well with a knife as the original Wicks ones but are still very good especially as a sound insulator for a loft layout. I find they are good for pinning as well, just hold down with a few dobbs of PVA and leave for 24 hours