Deesdale Road, (Now owned by Peter BB)

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your kind words.

Duncan "Can you please thank all the members of the club for making me very welcome which made for an enjoyable weekend."  - Will do

George T "Looking good Peter, l was also looking forward to having a little play as well, but just not well enough to come down oh well maybe another time."  - Hope you , Andy and Big J all get better soon - you were all missed.

Pleased to say that the signal worked and Deesdale Road ran like a dream - pleased that I used a '66' to check it all out before running.

Cheers Peter  PS Easter Sunday 16th and Monday 17th April is G&WMRG next Open Event.

Edit - Spelling only PBB

Edited by PeterBB
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Set up at the club for checking and cleaning - all tracks tested with locomotives and ran perfectly so lets hope that will also be the case at Hinckley on 21st October and not a repeat of Stafford a year or two ago when locomotives etc. ran beautifully when set up on the Friday but Saturday early was a complete nightmare.

Peter

Edit = spelling

Edited by PeterBB

• RMweb Gold

Slight point problem before star-up but beyond that it ran beautifully all day and got a further booking.  One of our own young club lads visiting the show ended up doing some excellent running for a couple of hours and didn't really want to go. 

• Like 1

Slight point problem before star-up but beyond that it ran beautifully all day and got a further booking.  One of our own young club lads visiting the show ended up doing some excellent running for a couple of hours and didn't really want to go. 

Good news Peter, I was going to try and come down in the morning and surprise you, but with the cough still persistent I thought it better not to venture out and spread it around.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

How time flies - not a peep on Deesdale Road for nearly two years.  Swad Lane (now sold) and family priorities led to that so why a post now?

The next village has an Annual Gala and they have difficulty getting people into the village hall - no problem with lots of outside things going on in the field - and I was contacted by the organisers after a friend gave the my information about model railways. 

They contacted me and chatting to them I thought it would be good to show locals aspects of a local MRG and agreed that Gresley and Wychnor MRG members would provide three items.

A fantastic 3 1/2" County of Stafford (working steam locomotive) hand built over a large number of years, Bob started it as an apprentice with hand tools finished in 2017, and is now retired! 

An 009 Badgers Halt 4' x2' and my 21 ft Deesdale Road that had been stored  ...

Deesdale Road retrieved from 'dusty storage' for checking, track cleaned and tested - every section ran.  Some bits of cleaning took place and off to the Overseal Gala 13th July 2019 - today.  One small electrical problem on the fiddle yard while setting up but put right and sound running with no problems all day.

The icing on the cake - the organisers came in and told us that we were the star, visitors had been heard asking their friends if they had seen the railway and we had a steam of visitors throughout and 48 flyers (only 50 taken as we did not know what to expect from a non model railway event), two further requests and a positive face to face agreement to be part of the Swadlincote Festival of Transport in 2020.  We had previously noticed large numbers of cars parked on the grass in front of the clubhouse, investigated why they were there and Committee had decided to investigate  - we now know the answer to our question and are also aware that there is a movement to get the Ivanhoe line reopened for passenger transport to Leicester and have been asked to provide a working model in the local Sharps Museum.

The day was not only a good running day and fun but surprisingly positive and has also let more people know that we are around and local.

Edit there are a couple of photographs around but not to hand.

Edited by PeterBB
Spelling corrections
  • Like 4

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Deesdale Road is up and running but after so long stored up needs quite a lot of attention.  Had a visitor who somehow or other managed to knock a section off but with the amount of space available at that end  still puzzled to how he managed to brake bits off - even more work now required.  Begs the question - should it be dismantled  and 'rebuilt' as it has evolved since its ealiest single 4' setion via Andy Peters in 2010 (mine since early 2012 and evolved over time?).  SWMBO says "Why not build one that goes round, its better when you can see them running all the time" - Like that idea as it appeals to grandchildren while also being able to run end 2 end.  Looking to see what is available have discovered 22' of the original baseboards for Rothleigh (and Swithmore) although they are of varying lengths and widths consistent with the then garage space but ... 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Sorry to hear of the damage Peter, with the two Fiddle Yards it could be a roundy, but alas only a single line. I would say start again with a Double Track, it could, with a bit of commitment, be completed in time for Christmas running for the Grand Children.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes Andy, a second line would be an advantage.  I have drawn up 3 plans so far trying to make a second line fit in with the current track plan - you will remember that the station has a terminal platfrom and at an earlier stage two lines could be hidden behind the factory fronts so there is a possibility but none have satisfied yet in terms of 'easy' 4' track meeting lengths. I am also thinking of a bone style double track to avoid the necessity of either ducking under or having a hinged section.  The ends would be 4' x 4' but would be accessible.

The hinge section on Rothleigh (and Swithmore) never failed to meet track during its 7 years 'never completed' build before the move - it had big brass hinges - and I discovered this week that 22' of its variable baseboards are here.

Also noted your comments on breaking up 'T'.   I will hopefully add some replacement pictures of Cadley as i have been unable to replace the ones 'lost' on the software move.

• RMweb Gold

@bluemoon-jon I know you knew about Deesdale Road early on.    Your reply made me second thoughts  about how I saw/see it.  I had made 3 designs to try to incorporate it E2E but was not happy with any of them hence the previous post. SWMBO keeps asking when am I going to build a round/roundy so that the GKs can see trains going round and have a play.  I have known Deesdale since its inception and have now worked out that a second track could be laid behind it at the back (against the wall) in what is normally the 'fiddle yard' and a new 'layout' added to it in the room with fiddle yards either side.  That being the case I will keep it.  Thank you for your interest and the mind concentration that it caused.

• Like 2