Deesdale Road, (Now owned by Peter BB)

Andrew P

After a great weekend at the Gresley and Wychnor Model Railway Group open weekend it was good to get comments from both the general public and real railway modelers about Deesdale Road. It was good to operate and with some nice vans from fellow club member BIG BOB for the distribution Depot and his NEW and freshly weathered Autobalaster  ( pity I haven't got room for a full rake of these wonderful wagons ). I have decided I need to go back to sound ( sold all mine when I broke up Kingsmill ) as a noisy 31, 37 or 66 will be just great to have again. Hope you enjoy the pic's. Andy.   

post-9335-006076400 1290969684_thumb.jpg

post-9335-027254800 1290969704_thumb.jpg

post-9335-041428800 1290969725_thumb.jpg

post-9335-005594100 1290969742_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

Coming on nicely - all looks very good and I particularily like the weathered stock. To my mind 'clean' rolling stock and locos do not look right - yours look very good indeed.

Look forward to seeing the sidings / shed area develop.

Richard

Andy,

Coming on nicely - all looks very good and I particularily like the weathered stock. To my mind 'clean' rolling stock and locos do not look right - yours look very good indeed.

Look forward to seeing the sidings / shed area develop.

Richard

Morning Richard, yes I ran out of time so ground signals point motor heaters and general rubish plus some litter in the platform tracks. I also want a signal on the bridge to the fiddle yard and lights on the distribution depot etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guy's, Well during the open weekend one thing became very apparant and that was the lack of storage on the layout itself for the multi units. With their delicate couplings I did not enjoy keep lifting them on and off the layout so more storage was required. So a 3 road swiveling sector plate has been made and a 2 road storage yard behind the back scene has been fitted, wired and tested this now makes operation much better.     

post-9335-093436100 1292431536_thumb.jpg

post-9335-062538800 1292431552_thumb.jpg

post-9335-037676000 1292431567_thumb.jpg

post-9335-084923300 1292431587_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

HI All, I was never happy with the entrance to the fiddle yard so after much deliberation I have put in an old bridge entrance for a very short tunnel with lots of foliage above. I cant go high here as it will foul the platform when the layout is folded in half but I may make a removable factory  or something later. I have also added a new station building and some passengers. You may also notice the young train spotter in the undergrowth above the tunnel.   

post-9335-0-92903400-1295994780_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-95576800-1295994822_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-08120500-1295994856_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-82537500-1295994888_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-45300900-1295994904_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks to 66, Taybridge and Taytrain for you nice comments, there's still lots of work to do such as the station name boards and lighting, lighting on the depot and I may change the main platform signal to a feather for it's exit and add another signal at the fiddle yard entrance and ground signals. It has been sugested that I continue the fiddle yard entrance bridge across the depot tracks so it looks more like a full bridge so I am working on that at the moment.

Hi Tim, The base I use is from B & Q and comes in packs of about 10, 2ft x 2.5 ft. I used to use the ones from Wicks which were better for what I wanted them for but there's is more like a carpet now, so no good, it is made for laying under wood flooring as a sound insulator. The B & Q boards don't cut as well with a knife as the original Wicks ones but are still very good especially as a sound insulator for a loft layout. I find they are good for pinning as well, just hold down with a few dobbs of PVA and leave for 24 hours

Your layout's looking really good.

I've only just noticed this post about the B & Q fibre board; I've used it on top of a ply base as it allows me to pin the track down fairly easily without too many bent pins (handy if the layout's not fully finalised) but as it was so dusty I sealed it first with a dilute mix of PVA glue.

Very nice layout you have created Andrew. I keep thinking about a small plank like this to keep me occupied when its too cold for the loft.

I have taken plenty of inspiration from you. Thank you!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Like Topsey it's growing by the day almost. What started as a single 54 inch layout has doubled its length and is now doubling it's width! Having made the new storage yard at the back I wanted to hide it, and then I thought why? It has potential for another scenic section so I have added a wall and another tunnel mouth and ballasted it and it looks quite good. I may even put a couple of colour light signals there later. I have also put in a disused and overgrown rail track above which is now used by a few hikers.     

post-9335-0-90313500-1297282727_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-06753600-1297282765_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-85365600-1297282824_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-97073700-1297282869_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andrew,

I'm a big fan of your layouts - you may remember me commenting on your Glen Roy thread hinting I would like to 'use' (copy!) some of your ideas. Now I've watched this layout progress I can't decide which one to use for inspiration! I too want to have a end to end smallish plank to play on.

Can I ask a question on operation (as a numpty when it comes to the real railway!) When you mention the freight runs around in platform one - do you mean that the freight enters on the outside line (nearest the front), stops under-ish the girder bridge, detaches and pulls into platform 1, runs back into the three-way point and along the other line into the fiddle yard, and then pulls back up on the other side via your sector plate?

Keep up the fantastic work - and please visit an exhibition near the South West, if you get the offer!

One thing we do share is the constant 'up-dating' of our plans - you do seem to have a knack of making it work though.

All the best,

James

Like Topsey it's growing by the day almost. What started as a single 54 inch layout has doubled its length and is now doubling it's width! Having made the new storage yard at the back I wanted to hide it, and then I thought why? It has potential for another scenic section so I have added a wall and another tunnel mouth and ballasted it and it looks quite good. I may even put a couple of colour light signals there later. I have also put in a disused and overgrown rail track above which is now used by a few hikers.     

Hi Andrew,

I like how you have developed this layout. I think in some ways I am very similar in that I come up with trackplans and how they should look, then put something else in and develop it more.

Colin

Hi Andrew,

I'm a big fan of your layouts - you may remember me commenting on your Glen Roy thread hinting I would like to 'use' (copy!) some of your ideas. Now I've watched this layout progress I can't decide which one to use for inspiration! I too want to have a end to end smallish plank to play on.

Can I ask a question on operation (as a numpty when it comes to the real railway!) When you mention the freight runs around in platform one - do you mean that the freight enters on the outside line (nearest the front), stops under-ish the girder bridge, detaches and pulls into platform 1, runs back into the three-way point and along the other line into the fiddle yard, and then pulls back up on the other side via your sector plate?

Keep up the fantastic work - and please visit an exhibition near the South West, if you get the offer!

One thing we do share is the constant 'up-dating' of our plans - you do seem to have a knack of making it work though.

All the best,

James

Hi James, Thanks for your nice comments, yes you are right in your asumption of the run round, at the clubs open weekend I was also bringing wagons in from the wrong line pulled by the 08 crossing onto platform 2 (the main platform, 1 is the bay, ) and then pushing back to the distribution wharehouse or back on the other line to the fiddleyard again. It is suprising just how much operation you can get from just a few well placed points.