DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

A lovely job.  Nice to see one of these old style kits still getting built. Let alone to such a good "modern" standard.

Longer ago than I care to think I did some sub-contract work for Nu Cast.  I don't know who built the original brass patterns for this one but I did have it in my workshop at one time for repair/refurbishment before it was re-moulded for another run. Bill Stott who owned the range always wanted the patterns made thinner (so that the castings cost less) so some of the things you found to have inconsistent thickness may have been my fault! It had a horrible cast block chassis at this time although the etched rods etc. were I think quite good. When I built one for a customer I milled out my own mainframes but used the etched rods. Nothing like as good as the super chassis you built but probably not bad for the time.

best wishes,

Ian   

DLT

What a great build and a delightful loco resulting from it

Thanks very much for the kind comments gents.  I'm very pleased with the result, and I hope the Shedmaster at Fisherton Sarum is as well!

Thanks very much Ian, its interesting to hear some background on Nu-Cast kits and changes to the castings, they were considered among the best in their day I beleive.  Certainly the quality of the castings on this loco was excellent, and the way they fitted and locked together was ingenious.  It did take some time and fiddling to get everything sitting level on the new chassis though, but the kit had been started and somewhat botched before I got my hands on it.

Thankfully it didnt come with the old cast chassis block, but the instructions still featured it.  What chassis there was consisted of two slabs of brass and nothing much else, although there may have been more, I was definitely missing some bits.  This did though give me free rang to build my own chassis.

The only other Nu-Cast kit I've built was a T14 Paddlebox many years ago.  There are some photos of it on the forum somewhere, maybe I will re-post them here.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi,

Super model of the " paddlebox". I can't remember having anything to do with this kit. As   for the 0-4-2, I have found a copy of September 1976 Railway Modeller. The Nu Cast Advert has this as now being available "after a certain amount of delay"  which might explain why I had it to repair/sort out the patterns.  The price new was a princely £12.75 (inc. VAT)  The same issue had a review of my 4mm "basic"plastic Wagon kits (supply your own wheels and couplings) which were priced at 30p (opens) and 50p (vans). Looking back old magazines is a revelation when you compare what is available now with what was available in the past. Don't we have it easy now?

best wishes,

Ian 

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Super model of the " paddlebox". I can't remember having anything to do with this kit. As   for the 0-4-2, I have found a copy of September 1976 Railway Modeller. The Nu Cast Advert has this as now being available "after a certain amount of delay"  which might explain why I had it to repair/sort out the patterns.  The price new was a princely £12.75 (inc. VAT)  The same issue had a review of my 4mm "basic"plastic Wagon kits (supply your own wheels and couplings) which were priced at 30p (opens) and 50p (vans). Looking back old magazines is a revelation when you compare what is available now with what was available in the past. Don't we have it easy now?

best wishes,

Ian 

Thanks Ian,  

I will look up theat advert, I think I've still got the RM from 1976.  

At that time I was in the sixth form and working as a part-time barman earning £3.50 a night.  Much of that went on beer and LPs, beer 40p a pint and LPs about £2.50 I think.

I WANT ONE!!!!  Love the look of this Loco.

Well Darren, if you can find an unbuilt Nu-Cast Paddlebox kit, I'm sure I can build it for you.

Bits of it were pretty awkward, like achieving the effect of the valvegear passing through the footplate, and mounting the slidebars as they are not attached to the cylinders.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I am pleased and delighted to advise that the A12 has arrived at its new shed, it was to good an opportunity to pass by, especially knowing Dave's standard of modelling,  and she will be at home with her sister A12 already in my fleet. As soon as I get a change to set Fisherton Sarum up again I will take some pictures and post here.  Thanks again Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I am pleased and delighted to advise that the A12 has arrived at its new shed, it was to good an opportunity to pass by, especially knowing Dave's standard of modelling,  and she will be at home with her sister A12 already in my fleet. As soon as I get a change to set Fisherton Sarum up again I will take some pictures and post here.  Thanks again Dave.

I'm really glad she's gone to a good home, just sorry I didnt get her to you in time for Wycrail.

Cheers, Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Nick, I'm very impressed with Colebourne.

This thread will be getting going again very shortly, I'm just clearing up a few loose ends before starting on the next project.

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by DLT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

I've followed many of your build projects with interest, very impressive results to be proud of for sure. 

I have similar models either to build or in process, like the DJH S15 & U & the Jubilee 0-4-2.

I'm waiting in anticipation of the next one - what's it to be - Urie H15 or S15 maybe?

Best wishes,

Phil. (in Sussex) about to model Wilton South.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

I've followed many of your build projects with interest, very impressive results to be proud of for sure. 

I have similar models either to build or in process, like the DJH S15 & U & the Jubilee 0-4-2.

I'm waiting in anticipation of the next one - what's it to be - Urie H15 or S15 maybe?

Best wishes,

Phil. (in Sussex) about to model Wilton South.

Hi Phil,

Thanks very much for your comments; 

Hmm, a Urie H15, yes I would love to have a crack at the PDK Chonker kit, but I can confirm that the next project is another PDK, a Drummond 700 Black Motor.  Start has been a bit delayed by both me trying to tidy up loose ends, and the time its taken to decide on wheels motor etc.  Not an easy loco to motor due to the high and small-diameter boiler.  And there isnt an absolutely correct wheel for it, but theres a couple of "near enoughs".

Are your loco-builds on RMweb?  I look forward to seeing Wilton South develop.

All the best,

Dave.

Edited by DLT

• RMweb Premium

The next project starting soon, is a Drummond 700 Black Motor from the PDK kit, destined for Torrington.

I'm still sourcing wheels etc, but commencement shouldnt be far off.

Cheers, Dave.

Photo from PDK Website

Pic%2041.jpg

• Like 5

The next project starting soon, is a Drummond 700 Black Motor from the PDK kit, destined for Torrington.

I'm still sourcing wheels etc, but commencement shouldnt be far off.

Cheers, Dave.

Photo from PDK Website

Pic%2041.jpg

I have a 7mm one to build. But someone stole the wheels to put under an 0395.

I would also like the non superheated one.

Edited by N15class

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have now at last aquired all the ingredients for the 700.  Gibson 5-foot 16-spoke drivers, 4-foot 12-spoke tender wheels, Mashima 1420 motor and Highlevel 54:1 RoadrunnerPlus gearbox.

684656471_IMG_6396small.jpg.77e59feecd3c5fcb8eb9bd2b05f716fd.jpg

The driving wheels arent quite a perfect match, the crank throw is 3.6mm instead of 3mm, but its close enough and as long as the rods don't clout the footplate we shouldnt have any problems.

There isnt a perfect driving wheel available, apparently there was one from Mike Sharman, but that range seems to have completely vanished. 

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

At long last theres some progress to report on the 700.

Nothing to show photographically yet, but the tender chassis is soldered together, and very nice it looks.  Once a few more bits are brought together I shoud be able to see how I can fit pickups to the tender wheels.

Like many etchedloco kits, it looks as though the tender will be the most complicated bit, with curved and flared bodywork to form from a flat etch.

Al the best,

Dave.

• Like 2

Thanks Ian,  

I will look up theat advert, I think I've still got the RM from 1976.  

At that time I was in the sixth form and working as a part-time barman earning £3.50 a night.  Much of that went on beer and LPs, beer 40p a pint and LPs about £2.50 I think.

Well Darren, if you can find an unbuilt Nu-Cast Paddlebox kit, I'm sure I can build it for you.

Bits of it were pretty awkward, like achieving the effect of the valvegear passing through the footplate, and mounting the slidebars as they are not attached to the cylinders.

Cheers, Dave.

I have mentioned in another thread (can't remember which one and apologies for the repetition…) that I have an unbuilt Nu-Cast T14 (superheated form with the big splashers) which has been in my 'to do one day' box for at least 15 years. In that other thread I mentioned the chassis as being designed for the X04 motor, which is one thing that will need sorting when it is eventually built, but yes, the prospect of  sorting out the valve gear that passes through the footplate AND keeping the body removable from the chassis is somewhat daunting, to say the least!

It's not for sale but I might think about asking someone to build it for me….

Mike

Edited by olivegreen
  • Like 1

....There isnt a perfect driving wheel available, apparently there was one from Mike Sharman, but that range seems to have completely vanished. .....

In truth, it went up in smoke not long after Phoenix acquired it, and the fire in a nearby industrial unit probably didn't help either.

I need 4'4" wheels for the NLR 0-6-0T, but I don't see AGW having enough time to create a new wheel design. It's times like these when I wish I had a lathe here to have a go at making my own wheels, or at least the wheel centres......

• RMweb Premium

I have mentioned in another thread (can't remember which one and apologies for the repetition…) that I have an unbuilt Nu-Cast T14 (original form - with the big splashers) which has been in my 'to do one day' box for at least 15 years. In that other thread I mentioned the chassis as being designed for the X04 motor, which is one thing that will need sorting when it is eventually built, but yes, the prospect of  sorting out the valve gear that passes through the footplate AND keeping the body removable from the chassis is somewhat daunting, to say the least!

No, it's not for sale but I might think about asking someone to build it for me….

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes I did see your mention of an unrebuilt Paddlebox kit, and I was going to pop the "Is it for sale" question!

I made a slot in the footplate. and the joint betwen the radius rod and combining lever pokes through it.  The valve-rod (the bit above the footplate) is a dummy, and not attached to the rest of the valvegear.

I would quite like to have a crack at building another one, if I coud find someone that wanted one built.....

Dave.