DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium

2manySpams has asked about my brakegear mounting/removal methods.  Each loco is different and calls for its own variations, but my two main methods depend on whether the pull-rods are inside or outside the wheels.

When outside the whole sub-assembly is mounted on its hangers in the normal way, fixed with removable wires running right through, see the 700 on this page:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2359-dlts-sr-locos-a-black-motor-for-torrington/page-24

When the pull-rods are INSIDE the wheels, I utilise a sneaky dodge of adding an extra cross-member or two to the frames out of sight behind the wheels, and with a matching cross-member between the pull-rods, I can screw the brakegear to the chassis from below.  I used this method on the Jubilee, see this page: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2359-dlts-sr-locos-a-black-motor-for-torrington/page-20   

You can still fit wires through the tops of the hangers for strength, but in this case its less essential structurally.  Sometimes there won't be enough space or clearance to fit these cross-wires in at all, (especially in the smaller scales) so the top-end of certain brake-hangers ends up in free space.

Does this answer the question?

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Good news!

Bad news, no progress for a while. Picked up a virus (human not computer), so not well, and the soldering iron needs a replacement tip as a third party (no names) inadvertently turned it on and left it long enough to knackered the plating. Double poop.

In the days when soldering iron tips where copper you just cleaned them up with file and emery then coated them with plumbers solder. Then good for another 5000 miles. I have copper tips in my dads old 100w that are from the 1960s yet my new antex with iron tips uses one a year.

• RMweb Premium

Getting on with detailing the 700 now; most of the injector pipework comes in cast whitemetal, but I've used the Romford brass & copper Clack-Valve kit as well.

As for the boiler fittings, the chimney is a lovely brass casting, but the dome is rather pitted whitemetal.  I may be able to rescue it, I'll have a go later tonight.

The handrail was the usual frustrating fiddle trying to get it bent correctly (or anywhere near) not helped by handrail knobs pinging off into the distance.  I found them though!

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

I think I can rescue the dome; its actually very good dimensionally but the surface pitting will need filling one way or another.  I hadnt thought of car body filler Ray, thanks, I'll check it out.

The dome probably looks worse than it is, when its compared to the excellent brass chimney!

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by DLT

....Could you not ask PDK for a better casting for the boiler dome if it is that bad?

Dave and Sheila King used to be quite good at replacing a faulty casting, as long as you returned it to them first before they sent you the new one.

Not sure what Paul Hill's "after sales" is like, as he's now in charge.

• RMweb Premium

Boiler fittings, festoons of pipework etc are now appearing.  

410973292_IMG_7009small.jpg.93f6a31c2f5ee395edc0a2ddbbff8a8e.jpg

The Romford Clack-Valve kit shows up well here, as does the surface of the dome when compared to the chimney!

840048050_IMG_7011small.jpg.cd94882c1d9b7e73497dbd37eafcee7e.jpg

Still lots more to add.  

The whitemetal smokebox door has had some additions.  The lampirons are part of the etch, but I've added the screw-clamps (Ray will tell us the correct name) from fine brass wire.  

The dart is machined brass from Alan Gibson, replacing the whitemetal item in the kit. 

1067064409_IMG_7007small.jpg.2a9bb4e0e952eac47156090d4bb6c499.jpg

That's all for now,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6

HI Dave

That looks amazing and love the extra parts you have added to the loco!. She going to be my star loco on the layout.

You are a master builder and are doing a great job on her.......Fancy doing a z class next?. :D

Keep up the fantastic work Dave. :thankyou:

Darren

• RMweb Premium

HI Dave

That looks amazing and love the extra parts you have added to the loco!. She going to be my star loco on the layout.

You are a master builder and are doing a great job on her.......Fancy doing a z class next?. :D

Keep up the fantastic work Dave. :thankyou:

Darren

Now then Darren, I'm not convinced that the Z class got to Torrington ;-p Interesting loco though, but I'd not like to be on one at any speed! Wonder what their range was, after all they were just a low-heat shunting engine.

The W Class got as far as banking duties on the Exeter St Davids - Central run. They are also a bit different.

But what about a U or U1 - both these classes were in the area from time to time, although the U1s were sent packing quite quickly. There's also the E1R class - something that's not LSWR.

Turning the clock back would give you a wider choice of interesting LSWR types and the coaching stock to match.

Choices choices...

• RMweb Premium

Now then Darren, I'm not convinced that the Z class got to Torrington ;-p Interesting loco though, but I'd not like to be on one at any speed! Wonder what their range was, after all they were just a low-heat shunting engine.

He's already got an Arthur and a Nelson running there, so I suppose anything is possible!

Cheers, Dave.

Boiler fittings, festoons of pipework etc are now appearing.  The Romford Clack-Valve kit shows up well here, as does the surface of the dome when compared to the chimney!...

And very well it looks too. The foreman clearly put his best pipe fitter on the job for those piping runs.

One thought: the steam locomotive was not immune to the visits of the tinworm, and cladding parts were often visibly corroded under the paintwork, along with the dings and creases that had been dealt it in traffic and during attention by the fitters. Unless you specifically want the loco in just ex-works heavy overhaul condition, a little surface imperfection here and there does lend versimilitude.

....The whitemetal smokebox door has had some additions.  ....I've added the screw-clamps (Ray will tell us the correct name) from fine brass wire......

They are called "dogs", apparently. Drummond and Urie weren't the only one who liked to use them. Maunsell used them, more evenly spaced radially around the door, as did the Midland Railway (and Fowler on the LMS).

Turning the clock back would give you a wider choice of interesting LSWR types and the coaching stock to match.

Would love to have some LSWR coaching stock, But they have never been done as rtr are there any kits for them?.

Going to the Arthur and Nelson, they are for an idea on the new layout , I do have the S15 on order,a U class would be nice as Dave did one a while back.

Getting too the 700 the pipe work and clack  are  Valve spot on and look outstanding, Dave i am still thinking about the Paddle box 

• RMweb Premium

Would love to have some LSWR coaching stock, But they have never been done as rtr are there any kits for them?.

Going to the Arthur and Nelson, they are for an idea on the new layout , I do have the S15 on order,a U class would be nice as Dave did one a while back.

Getting too the 700 the pipe work and clack  are  Valve spot on and look outstanding, Dave i am still thinking about the Paddle box 

Thanks Darren,

Getting hold of a Paddlebox kit might be the difficult bit.

I will bring the 700 along to Taunton, will you be there?

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

LSWR coaches? Yes Roxey Mouldings do them (and a whole heap of other companies and types as well)...

http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/category/74/4mm-scale-coach-kits/

There's a Paddlebox for sale on Ebay at the moment - ( 171752257421 ) description suggests its built from the Falcon etched kit, looks to be quite a good build.

Would certainly like a T14 myself, just hope that Falcon get round to bringing this back to production in time.