DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much, it all fitted in very nicely really. The kit is designed for the initial, Eastleigh built batch of right-hand-drive locos, 31914 was the loco I seem to have found the most photos of, and it was one of the batch briefly allocated to Exmouth Junction (the destination layout).

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave

I've been following this thread with interest. Your results are significantly better than my abandoned attempt with a resin body and a Bachmann N Class chassis - too many inaccuracies and compromises. I do like the W (and Z) class and I have a large(ish) collection of other 72A allocated locos for our NCR layout. Are you modelling Exmouth Jct? Have you posted details of the layout or your plans anywhere before? Would be great to see.

All the best

• RMweb Premium

Excellent stuff, I was worried you were going to overdo the weathering, but it looks just right, now how do ya feel about doin' about 100 of my locos the samebiggrin.gif (only joking).

100??? Goodness, makes my "fleet" look pretty feeble! Still, cross my palm with silver and I might be tempted!

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Dave

I've been following this thread with interest. Your results are significantly better than my abandoned attempt with a resin body and a Bachmann N Class chassis - too many inaccuracies and compromises. I do like the W (and Z) class and I have a large(ish) collection of other 72A allocated locos for our NCR layout. Are you modelling Exmouth Jct? Have you posted details of the layout or your plans anywhere before? Would be great to see.

All the best

Thanks very much;

Sadly I don't feel that I can recomend this kit; if you look at the box photo further back in the thread, you'll see what I mean. PDK have a W Kit thats currently unavailable; I guess this would be like many of his kits; etched brass, possibly with a resin boiler. A little gentle lobbying from enough of us might move it up his "To Do" list.

The Exmouth Junction layout that these locos are destined for is a friend's Retirement Project, sadly not mine. My own modelling takes place in the realms of 7mm scale narrow-gauge; which explains why the W photos are against an overscale background. I really must build a photographic diorama. Having said that, the Southern in the West Country is another great interest, and building these locos has been a treat for me.

I'm a great admirer of Treneglos, you've really captured the look and atmosphere of that part of North Cornwall. I've spent quite some time watching it at shows, but havent seen it recently. Have you got any more shows booked?

All the best,

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great piece of work. Congratulations. Only once saw one working up the bank at Exeter (in 63 I think) after the Zs had departed. Sadly I didn't visit Exeter Central again during steam days (what a dimbo I was) as those female beings ;) took over in the interest stakes until it was too late and the next time I went it was Warships and D63XX things!

Hey ho! :angry:

36E

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much;

Sadly I don't feel that I can recomend this kit; if you look at the box photo further back in the thread, you'll see what I mean. PDK have a W Kit thats currently unavailable; I guess this would be like many of his kits; etched brass, possibly with a resin boiler. A little gentle lobbying from enough of us might move it up his "To Do" list.

The Exmouth Junction layout that these locos are destined for is a friend's Retirement Project, sadly not mine. My own modelling takes place in the realms of 7mm scale narrow-gauge; which explains why the W photos are against an overscale background. I really must build a photographic diorama. Having said that, the Southern in the West Country is another great interest, and building these locos has been a treat for me.

I'm a great admirer of Treneglos, you've really captured the look and atmosphere of that part of North Cornwall. I've spent quite some time watching it at shows, but havent seen it recently. Have you got any more shows booked?

All the best,

Dave.

Thanks for the reply Dave and the kind comments about Treneglos. The layout is next out at Aylesbury this May and another of our layouts, "Diesels in the Duchy", is next at the DENU show near Burton in June. If you're able to make either of this be sure to say hello. Exmouth Jct would make a great retirement project!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for the reply Dave and the kind comments about Treneglos. The layout is next out at Aylesbury this May and another of our layouts, "Diesels in the Duchy", is next at the DENU show near Burton in June. If you're able to make either of this be sure to say hello. Exmouth Jct would make a great retirement project!

Hi Chris,

I dont think I will make it to either of those shows, but I did have a good look at DintheD at Stafford (I was sort of diagonally opposite you, with Bridport Town) and very nice it looks too. I presume the Washing Line wont be needed in future?

My freind is not planning to build the whole of Exmouth Junction, I think that would be a Lifetime project, rather than a Retirement one. It will be a reduced version of the main locoshed area.

I'm going to the Members Day in Taunton tomorrow, hoping to have a good look at Fisherton Sarum.

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be no end of bits to stick on this loco; cab glazing, Romford screw-link couplings etc.

Ive done a smokebox numberplate at last, using LNER wagon transfers, thanks to Mikemeg's advice,

see http://www.rmweb.co....ng/page__st__25 However I'm still not convinced, I think I've managed to use the wrong size numbers (too large) Again!

Does the numberplate look too hefty?

Hmmm,

Dave.

post-5825-127212120326_thumb.jpg

post-5825-127212119311_thumb.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to the Members Day in Taunton tomorrow, hoping to have a good look at Fisherton Sarum.

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Dave

Well Fisherton Sarum has arrived safely in Taunton ready for the off tomorrow. I look forward to catching up with you again (Stafford seems ages ago now)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Guys, I've just looked at the transfer sheet and realised I've been a complete p*ll*ck and used the wrong set of numbers.

I guess that comes of doing it late at night, or when I'm in a hurry.

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

Well Fisherton Sarum has arrived safely in Taunton ready for the off tomorrow. I look forward to catching up with you again (Stafford seems ages ago now)

I'm very pleased to report that, thanks to the generosity of the Shedmaster at Fisherton Sarum, 21914 had a run on a layout and pulled a train for the first time today.

Terrific layout Graham, thanks very much.

Hope the trip home was ok,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Scaling from the photographs, the numbers on the smokebox should be approx 1.4mm high. So it was back to the LNER wagon transfer sheet, and I think I've got it right this time; at the third (or possibly fourth) attempt.

so, does it look ok now?

Cheers,

Dave.

post-5825-127240741418_thumb.jpg post-5825-127240743034_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Does nobody produce an etched plate for 31914?

....or if not, commission one. 247 developments (and probably others) will do them. Cost (I think) a fiver and you'll have to wait a couple of months, but to my mind it's worth doing.

• RMweb Premium

....or if not, commission one. 247 developments (and probably others) will do them. Cost (I think) a fiver and you'll have to wait a couple of months, but to my mind it's worth doing.

Thanks Guys,

Yes I think thats probably the best route to go. I couldnt find one specifically for this loco, and spent the fiver on a whole sheet of transfers instead.

Hmm, maybe I'm agonising too much about minute details.

Cheers,

Dave.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Its high time I kicked this thread back into action, and my latest SR loco project is a DJH S15. Now a lot has been said about DJH kits, much of it un-complimentary, and up until now I've had no experience of them. So, I was pleasantly suprised to find that the S15 seemed to be a pretty good kit all-round; certainly a lot better than my previous project, the SEFinecast W.

The brief for this model is fairly standard, 00, Romford wheels, rigid chassis, Mashima motor, HighLevel gearbox (Loadhauler Plus) and as many wiper pickups as possible.

The chassis is designed for a large open-frame motor, with a worm & wheel on the middle axle. I modified the frames by filling in the motor cutouts, and widening it to accomodate the Highlevel gearbox. Some hefty washers are provides as part of the chassis etch, their purpose being to reduce the sideplay in the driving axles, but by placing these washers inside the frames, to widen the spacers, sufficient width is acheived for the gearbox. The photos should show this, but its not clear.

post-5825-128079048843_thumb.jpg

post-5825-128079053595_thumb.jpg

Thje bogie is simple but effective; the wheels ride in slots, but I replaced the fixed whitemetal keeperplate, with a screw-on version made from circuitboard. (might be useful for pickups later)

post-5825-1280790584_thumb.jpg

The next photos show the chassis as far as its got. Conventional wire pickups scrape away at the insulated Romfords on one side, and with the addition of coupling rods it runs very nicely.

The whitemetal T-piece is the rather ingenious mounting block for the cylinders.

post-5825-128079062371_thumb.jpg

post-5825-12807906594_thumb.jpg

I always build a cradle to support the footplate during construction, makes handling easier and keeps it flat during assembly. Its especially neccessary here, where the footplate is a rather flimsy whitemetal casting.

The boiler is pitched too high, the bottom should be flush with the footplate with no daylight showing; it awaits the attention of a large file! With the different motor asrrangement, I should be able to fill in some of the rather prominent boiler cut-out.

I will probably make the boiler removable, it would be impossible to paint otherwise.

post-5825-12807906983_thumb.jpg

post-5825-128079073312_thumb.jpg

post-5825-128079044983_thumb.jpg

I'll post more when theres something to tell.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 2

Good morning modellers

I like the S15 which bought back memories of them at Redhill shed when I was a small boy. The local railwaymen called them "King Arthur Goods Engines", but they occasionally worked Redhill to Guildford/Reading passenger trains in those days (1950's).

Earlswood Nob (a signalbox near where I grew up)

• Like 1

Its high time I kicked this thread back into action, and my latest SR loco project is a DJH S15. Now a lot has been said about DJH kits, much of it un-complimentary, and up until now I've had no experience of them. So, I was pleasantly suprised to find that the S15 seemed to be a pretty good kit all-round; certainly a lot better than my previous project, the SEFinecast W.

The brief for this model is fairly standard, 00, Romford wheels, rigid chassis, Mashima motor, HighLevel gearbox (Loadhauler Plus) and as many wiper pickups as possible.

The chassis is designed for a large open-frame motor, with a worm & wheel on the middle axle. I modified the frames by filling in the motor cutouts, and widening it to accomodate the Highlevel gearbox. Some hefty washers are provides as part of the chassis etch, their purpose being to reduce the sideplay in the driving axles, but by placing these washers inside the frames, to widen the spacers, sufficient width is acheived for the gearbox. The photos should show this, but its not clear.

post-5825-128079048843_thumb.jpg

post-5825-128079053595_thumb.jpg

Thje bogie is simple but effective; the wheels ride in slots, but I replaced the fixed whitemetal keeperplate, with a screw-on version made from circuitboard. (might be useful for pickups later)

post-5825-1280790584_thumb.jpg

The next photos show the chassis as far as its got. Conventional wire pickups scrape away at the insulated Romfords on one side, and with the addition of coupling rods it runs very nicely.

The whitemetal T-piece is the rather ingenious mounting block for the cylinders.

post-5825-128079062371_thumb.jpg

post-5825-12807906594_thumb.jpg

I always build a cradle to support the footplate during construction, makes handling easier and keeps it flat during assembly. Its especially neccessary here, where the footplate is a rather flimsy whitemetal casting.

The boiler is pitched too high, the bottom should be flush with the footplate with no daylight showing; it awaits the attention of a large file! With the different motor asrrangement, I should be able to fill in some of the rather prominent boiler cut-out.

I will probably make the boiler removable, it would be impossible to paint otherwise.

post-5825-12807906983_thumb.jpg

post-5825-128079073312_thumb.jpg

post-5825-128079044983_thumb.jpg

I'll post more when theres something to tell.

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave,

The frame sides look quite substantial in DJH fashion but they at least resemble frames unlike the to parallel strips that were the frames for the Q7. Thanks for the tip about using a wooden former to support the whitemetal footplate, something I will make use of on the next build also from DJH but in 7mm.

The previous build looks superb by the way, the weathering very subtle. Well done and I look forward to seeing the progress of this one.

• Like 1

Its high time I kicked this thread back into action, and my latest SR loco project is a DJH S15. Now a lot has been said about DJH kits, much of it un-complimentary, and up until now I've had no experience of them. So, I was pleasantly suprised to find that the S15 seemed to be a pretty good kit all-round;...

I briefly owned one of these kits - one of the very few I've sold on because I didn't think I could use it without substantial correction. I found the footplate on my sample to be a bit on the short side by about 2mm, for example.

The PDK etched & resin effort may be a better bet nowadays, although I hear that Dave Ellis at SEF has been planning the S15 for a long time. He can certainly re-use the boiler and firebox out of the existing "King Arthur" kit, as (Maunsell) S15s had the same boiler, so that saves some time and money on pattern work. Will need a new smokebox casting and footplate, though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I briefly owned one of these kits - one of the very few I've sold on because I didn't think I could use it without substantial correction. I found the footplate on my sample to be a bit on the short side by about 2mm, for example.

The PDK etched & resin effort may be a better bet nowadays, although I hear that Dave Ellis at SEF has been planning the S15 for a long time. He can certainly re-use the boiler and firebox out of the existing "King Arthur" kit, as (Maunsell) S15s had the same boiler, so that saves some time and money on pattern work. Will need a new smokebox casting and footplate, though.

The DJH kit is definitely out on a few dimensions; I'm curing some of the obvious problems, but the main brief for this model was "build the kit". There were some problems with the boiler casting, but apart from that the general proportions look pretty good.

Thoughts are turning to a U Class, DJH do one, but does anyone else?

Thanks,

Dave