DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

Really liking the injector Dave, they look very similar to Drummond's injectors/location used later.

How do you hold it all together to solder, I've found in the past (with the Markits clack valves) that things tend to shift and fall apart when you solder the next bit on or do you solder all at once?

Guest Jack Benson

Dave,

You are welcome at any time to run these beauties because Beaminster Road's electrical gremlin has now left the room and Sunday running sessions are once more a 'thing'.

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

Dave,

You are welcome at any time to run these beauties because Beaminster Road's electrical gremlin has now left the room and Sunday running sessions are once more a 'thing'.

StaySafe

Excellent news!

7 hours ago, DLT said:

various bits left over from Markits Clack-valve kits

I find those bits to be supremely handy also. You've made fine work of those injectors, it's those final details that really bring the model to the fore.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • DLT changed the title to DLT's SR Locos - G6 Connoisseur Kit
  • RMweb Premium
On 11/05/2021 at 01:28, nberrington said:

I really wish Jim would do more 4mm kits!

He won't - I keep asking. I always tell him the 4mm kits are typically going for £100 on ebay, which piques his interest, but he won't budge. 

Though if more of us asked him...  

55 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

He won't - I keep asking. I always tell him the 4mm kits are typically going for £100 on ebay, which piques his interest, but he won't budge. 

Though if more of us asked him...  

We could do one of those online petition forms for people that would purchase the kit. That way, someone with relatively eloquent and soft approach could link it to him.

Might be better than multiple people messaging him at once?

Out of interest, if they're going for £100 on ebay, what would they have cost new?

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Jack P said:

We could do one of those online petition forms for people that would purchase the kit. That way, someone with relatively eloquent and soft approach could link it to him.

Might be better than multiple people messaging him at once?

Out of interest, if they're going for £100 on ebay, what would they have cost new?

I only know the North Eastern stuff, which went or £40-ish when he released a small batch five or so years ago. 

I'm soft and eloquent! Still no dice... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

What do you think abut the chimney?  It just doesn't look right to me.  I can replace it with one from Phoenix Precision, as on the 0395 above.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I'm definitely going to steal that idea. No more bent steps. 

Quickly soldered in with low-melt, to avoid your carefully assembled steps disintegrating!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, DLT said:

What do you think abut the chimney?  It just doesn't look right to me.  I can replace it with one from Phoenix Precision, as on the 0395 above.

I agree - it definitely doesn't have that Drummond feel about it - I'd say it's too short, and the lip looks too big.

Edit - there's a fairly good pic of 258 at Basingstoke shed here: https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=738

Edited by Nick C

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2021 at 10:39, Nick C said:

there's a fairly good pic of 258 at Basingstoke shed here: 

Thanks very much Nick, I hadn't seen that one.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, DLT said:

Thanks very much Nick, I hadn't seen that one.

I've found a good source of loco photos these days is to simply stick the running number into a Google image search! It doesn't always work, but often throws up something...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/05/2021 at 01:12, Jack P said:

I'd agree with your thoughts on the chimney - it looks top heavy. The phoenix replacement looks much better.

Unfortunately the Phoenix chimney is no longer available.  Spoke to Phoenix today and he told me that the gentleman who produced them is "no longer with us".  So when the stock that Phoenix got from him is gone, its gone.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, DLT said:

Unfortunately the Phoenix chimney is no longer available.  Spoke to Phoenix today and he told me that the gentleman who produced them is "no longer with us".  So when the stock that Phoenix got from him is gone, its gone.

Well, if you have one (one of the chimneys, I mean), a rubber mould can be made and resin castings taken, giving you a lifetime's supply... 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Been busy on the cab interior lately, (once I'd done a big order for brass angle from Eileens Emporium)

First is the cab floor and tanks, fabricated from brass sheet, angle and bits from the scrapbox.  This drops into the cab, rear first, and slides forward so that the tanks are against the front of the cab.  The backhead will fit between the tanks (when it arrives)

220952393_IMG_6897Small.jpg.03a33a6fd92b0d279be6f0056037ff31.jpg

The bunker front is more angle and scrap etch, roughly the right size and shape.  Details taken from an O2, as illustrations of a G6 cab seem to be non-existent.  Many thanks to Jim McGeown of Connoisseur for pointing me in the direction of this site:  http://wryl.co.uk/loco/other/g6.html, and for making his O2 kit instructions available to download.  I also referred back to the Finecast O2 construction near the start of this topic.

157353310_IMG_6905Small.jpg.a40295e69cbf86a3f305e5db574e1c9e.jpg 

The cab roof supplied was a flat etch without any vertical ribs.  I considered trying to add ribs, but decided that a new roof would be easier!  So its made with 1mm brass angle, the same way as the 0395 described earlier.  

Springy nickel-silver wires at each corner make it a push-fit into the cab, and are easy to adjust.

1918142569_IMG_6908small.jpg.8f0f24cdcf9e840190ced4a8b5ca1710.jpg

2111209378_IMG_6911Small.jpg.12a4e28a9f84d570339eb3fe838c4855.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7