DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

Dave

The finish of your work never ceases to amaze me, if I didn't know it was 4mm/ft I would expect it to be a bigger scale.

Keep up the good work, it inspires me to do better in future.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/02/2021 at 21:30, DLT said:

Current task is finishing Jack Benson's DJH 0395 class.  Then less said about the kit the better, but what has been done so far is a very nice joint effort by Jack and Captain Kernow.

My job is to finish the detailing and paint it as 30581.  Here it is with boiler-top injector pipework and handrails added:

1017588789_IMG_6636small.jpg.0c8edb336459c5c4e19a135149ff710a.jpg

Still various bits to add.

Your building is always inspirational and such a brilliant help when you are looking to model the same class to see the things you have improved. My apologies for going back to an old post. Is this dome tall or short Adams dome.? I have the remains of a DJH 0395 which will become 30566, but cannot find any information on which dome went on which engine. 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Your building is always inspirational and such a brilliant help when you are looking to model the same class to see the things you have improved. My apologies for going back to an old post. Is this dome tall or short Adams dome.? I have the remains of a DJH 0395 which will become 30566, but cannot find any information on which dome went on which engine. 

Thanks very much for your kind comments! 

Its best to rely on photos for such details, I have four photos of 30566 (all BR period) and all show the shorter dome

I will PM you.

Cheers, Dave.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, gz3xzf said:

Dave

The finish of your work never ceases to amaze me, if I didn't know it was 4mm/ft I would expect it to be a bigger scale.

Keep up the good work, it inspires me to do better in future.

Thanks very much Bryan, it REALLY helps when you have a good kit to start with!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The latest South Western Circular has an article on the differences between the different batches of G6. It seems they really are a minefield, as the later Drummond locos had second-hand boilers from new, and so had various differences to cope with these - including a different wheelbase on one batch...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nic,

Yes indeed, I've just received my circular, and as you say, its a minefield!

However, our target loco is 258, from the original Adams batch, and during our period appears to have carried a standard Adams boiler.

My apologies for lack of updated recently, but I'm waiting for add-on parts, and we are not going to be able to finish it before Highlevel gets back into action.  And even then I guess he will have a massive backlog of orders

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Three Chimneys!  (No, not The Railway Children)  At last some of the add-on parts are arriving.  First is a turned brass chimney for an O2 from PDK.

Here it is compared to the chimney supplied in the kit (centre) and one from a Finecast O2 (left)  Found a couple more in the spares box, but they didn't make the cut.

742051104_IMG_7058Small.jpg.988f6198bb9fd2e1c797ca0483d4bc96.jpg

Just waiting for a backhead from Phoenix Precision and I can get on and finish the bodywork.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, DLT said:

Moments after these photos were taken, the regulator handle was swallowed by the carpet monster....

By an amazing stroke of luck (or indigestion) the Carpet Monster regurgitated the regulator handle.  BEFORE I made another one....

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 9
  • Funny 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

All painted and ready for lettering etc, although I seem to be having a run of bad luck here.  Opened a new pack of Araldite and as I squeezed the hardener, the tube split and squirted all over my hand and the bench.

Fortunately it didn't go anywhere near the model: but I managed to knock over a pot full of small parts, several of which headed floor-wards...

Amazingly I found them all!

• Friendly/supportive 9

17 hours ago, hayfield said:

why has this kit not been reintroduced ?

Probably not a good seller, is the O2 still produced?, I have a feeling he used the same body for both the G6 and O2, which if I recall was not right for either. Trouble is they both look very similar, and to be honest not many would of noticed. I built the G6 many moons ago, just wish the gearbox was not included, I could never get on with Alan's plastic one.

Guest Jack Benson
9 hours ago, N15class said:

Probably not a good seller, is the O2 still produced?, I have a feeling he used the same body for both the G6 and O2, which if I recall was not right for either. Trouble is they both look very similar, and to be honest not many would of noticed. I built the G6 many moons ago, just wish the gearbox was not included, I could never get on with Alan's plastic one.

I think you will find that the G6 is a Connoisseur Kit by Jim Mcgeown not AG

StaySafe

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2021 at 03:09, N15class said:

A very detailed article in the current issue of the South Western Circular deals with most of the myriad variations in the G6 class, of which the Drummond era builds re-used boilers from various withdrawn Beattie 2-4-0s, with the (new) smokebox sizes varied to keep the overall length similar. 

It also mentions variations in frame length and wheelbase within the G6 class and many of the subsequent boiler changes that occurred when old ones wore out....

I formed a distinct impression that at some times, some of the G6s might have resembled some of the O2s more closely than they did some other G6s! :angel:

John

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Not up to DLT's exquisite modelling standard but here is my attempt at 30258  from a few years ago. I had been waiting forever for either the Falcon Brass or Alan Gibson kits to reappear on the market and I was unaware of the existence of the Connoisseur kit. Eventually I brewed my own G6 using an SEF O2 kit, which required a couple of small modifications , including shortening the footplate length and raising the cab height. Fortunately the G6 frame set was still available from Alan Gibson which I built and fitted with Gibson wheels, high level gearbox and Mashima motor. Certainly far from perfect but a massive improvement on its predecessor, which was the inaccurate old Wills kit on a HD chassis.  

Barry

thumbnail_IMG_1750.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1749.jpg

Edited by Pierview
restore photos
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Well whilst we are posting comparative G6's, here's mine built for me almost 15 years ago from the Alan Gibson kit by Chris Phillips:

SJPP513000502180513.jpg.83fa2913ae00bbf25b12f253210a580b.jpg

A nice little model but perhaps showing the age of it's origins.

Tony

• Like 7