DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

Lovely work Dave.
I'm guessing they are the steam feeds to the injectors, as you say it looks like they will probably pass through the tanks in a tube that runs from top to bottom (GWR Prairies have a similar arrangement for the delivery pipes to the top feed). A photo looking down from above would be useful. ;)

• RMweb Premium
On 04/11/2020 at 16:45, gz3xzf said:

Lovely work Dave.
I'm guessing they are the steam feeds to the injectors, as you say it looks like they will probably pass through the tanks in a tube that runs from top to bottom (GWR Prairies have a similar arrangement for the delivery pipes to the top feed). A photo looking down from above would be useful. ;)

Hi Bryan,  A photo from above would be VERY useful!  Here is the only one I've found, its cropped from the centre of a panoramic view of Exeter Central, taken from the Howell Road bridge.  Even though the loco is 952, its not a lot of use in the detail department!

273761213_952Central5crop.jpg.3f08773f7e22e1a5701d18a9442c48b8.jpg

As a matter of interest, here is much the same view today:  Exeter Central approach

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2020 at 08:42, RAY NORWOOD said:

Hi Dave.   That Z class is amazing, the rods are very much like the real thing.

Keep up the good work.   

Thanks Ray, all I've done to the motion is chemically blacken the nickel-silver.  Did you work on these?

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

With the Z shortly to be dispatched to it's new Home Shed, I'm taking a look at Jack.P's PDK W class, with a view to fitting suitable pickups.  The size and shape of the etched spring & hanger details immediately precludes the use of conventional under-mounted wiper pickups.  Plungers are a possibility, but have to be "built in" during chassis construction, and before the wheels are fitted.  They cannot be fitted afterwards, and this is just one of the reasons I won't use them.  My SEFinecast W, built some years ago, was successfully fitted with Backscratchers, and that was my initial plan with this one.  However the frames on this PDK version look to be wider, and there isn't room to get them between wheel and frame.  That left the option of top-mounted wipers, and thats what I'm working on.

the pickup plate:

254076384_IMG_6432small.jpg.1cd126aa94af85878fe5927438048cfa.jpg

Positioned on the frames.  I cut/filed a step recess along each side, so that the plate has a positive location on top of and between the frames.  i can't (at the moment) see a way of screwing it in place, so it may need to be lightly glued.

673260793_IMG_6435small.jpg.e9feafbf178efd295f5c98ef0fdec69a.jpg

Pickup wires fitted, and fitted again:

1035077057_IMG_6447small.jpg.721b3a90803f5534446f3de360864ed7.jpg

1936972625_IMG_6451small.jpg.944e4e98273daefdd1122e5c7da25682.jpg

You may wonder why I've divided the plate into four electrical strips.  Well, jack has "Crossed the Rubicon" and sent my a DCC chip to fit.  With the motor and a flywheel fitted, the lower motor solder-tag will be completely inaccessible, making it very awkward to fit or change a chip.  So the motor will be wired to the inner pair of  strips, and with the power from the wheels on the outer pair, the input and output wires of the chip can be soldered to the inner and outer strips.  And to run on DC, we just bridge the two.

875994536_IMG_6454small.jpg.1c895bb5b7737a105d229329cd0ad19c.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Getting a bit ahead here.  the first thing I did was check the actual running, and Jack has made a marvelous job of this loco so far.  Here it is running under, err, "digital" control:

And with the motor fitted.  I had to open out the mounting screw holes in the gearbox slightly, in order to adjust the rather tight mesh of the worm.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 15

• DLT changed the title to DLT's SR Locos - Jack.P's W by PDK

As the  Z-Class has returned to it's home shed,  I would just like to say what a beautiful model it is.

My thanks to Dave for making such a wonderful job of the DMR Kit,  box of bits I sent to him  a few

months back.

Stunning, thank you very much.

Ian    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/11/2020 at 22:08, Staffordshire said:

As the  Z-Class has returned to it's home shed,  I would just like to say what a beautiful model it is.

My thanks to Dave for making such a wonderful job of the DMR Kit,  box of bits I sent to him  a few

months back.

Stunning, thank you very much.

Ian    

Thanks very much Ian, the project was quite a "labour of love".  A superb kit, but fiddly in many areas.

The short sidetanks mean that much detail that is normally hidden on a tank engine was well and truly exposed.

• RMweb Premium

Moving on with the W, Jack has sent me this chip to install.  I understand the wiring convention is "Red & black to track, orange and grey the other way".

My dalliance with dcc was a few years ago now, and things have moved on.  As a matter of interest, what is the function of the black & blue wires coming out of the lower end of the chip, and the mauve and green from the side?

Cheers, Dave.

1341446419_IMG_6460small.jpg.4067c6f6e12e76758f05e65b79e2ebe6.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

That looks fantastic Dave, It's so nice to finally see her running under her own power.

I'm glad that you've built DC and DCC capabilities into the pickup board. Most good DCC chips allow for running on DC as an option. Which is very handy in instances like this, where it's not quite as simple as plugging/unplugging.

• RMweb Premium

DCC chip is installed, and the loco should soon be winging its way back to it's home shed.

The installation should be fairly clear from the photos, and the chip tucks underneath the pickup plate, out of the way.

You may think that in a big tank-engine there should be plenty of cavity in which to loose a chip, but this loco has a cast resin boiler with just enough space for the motor, gearbox and flywheel.

2061170781_IMG_6462small.jpg.f3f950c537958067b4ba1f2cde010f10.jpg

636569953_IMG_6467small.jpg.804a6634de4b9ab9f0689f872d795cde.jpg

The motor and gearbox are free to rotate about the driven axle, and are restrained by the pickup plate and the inside of the resin boiler.  You can just see a pad of black plasticard that limits the up and down movement, preventing the brass flywheel from touching the pickup wires etc.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

I've done just about all I can with Jack's W, and it will shortly be winging it's way back to him.

The next task is the resurrection of a couple of ancient D15s for Beaminster Road.  They are described here:  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/157556-0395-and-d15-frenzy/

No.1 is an old Bec whitemetal kit, powered by an open-frame X04-type motor.  (actually a 5-pole MW005 I think) and supplied with an 00-Works 6-wheeled tender.

The second is an etched brass kit, origin unknown (Loddon Models?) in EM gauge, powered by an RG4 1219.  Coincidently this has a whitemetal tender which looks like a Bec kit.

Work has started, but no photos yet.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• DLT changed the title to DLT's SR Locos - D15 Resurrection

As it happens I bought a BEC J11 which arrived this week, put it in a bath of Dettol this morning. It has a coating of thick black paint and I guess is glued together, hopefully the Dettol will dissolve/weaken the glue as well. Will paint it in Great Central Railway livery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, this one has had the Dettol treatment, and it made the glues (Araldite and something else) soft and flaky.  It came apart quite easily after that, but it took a while to clean up.

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

David,

It looks very smart, do you intend to replace the buffers? 

Cheers and good luck

With the kit I took apart, items like the buffers I stood them in boiled water for ten mins which added to degrading the glue further, probably too late now as you have soldered the loco up