DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium

Just a couple more bits to add.

I've ordered some rear spectacles with grills, a new product from SEFinecast.  Bryan described these on his Workbench thread, halfway down this page:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84223-bryan-the-snails-workbench/page-6

Apparently these were on sale at Warminster but I managed to miss them.  Once these are fitted I can glaze the cab and fit the doors.

Then that MUST be it!

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I've ordered some rear spectacles with grills, a new product from SEFinecast.  

Wow!  

Ordered by phone at approx 11am yesterday, dropped through the letterbox at approx 11am today.  Hows that for service!

A beautifully etched product, and already fitted to the loco with a TINY smear of Araldite around the edge.

Cheers, Dave.

Wow!  

Ordered by phone at approx 11am yesterday, dropped through the letterbox at approx 11am today.  Hows that for service!

A beautifully etched product, and already fitted to the loco with a TINY smear of Araldite around the edge.

Cheers, Dave.

David Ellis at SEF is very good, I ordered some wheels from him the other day and they arrived very quickly, better than another supplier that so far has taken two weeks to fulfil an order; I chased with an E-mail after a week and still no response! :(

Can't fault Dave Ellis - don't forget you can have any part from any SEF kit for a few pence. And you also get to see their brilliant exploded diagrams for the kits (which are a work of art in themselves).

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant job Dave. Caught the prototype just right. I like the LBSCR 0-6-0'S and 0-6-2's. If I didn't model LSWR I think it would have to be the Brighton.

Thanks Pete,  

Until this project, my knowledge of Brighton locos has been virtually nil, but I think I might be developing a soft spot!

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

Hi Dave,

Great work on the E5X!  The finish is as good as the construction of this model.  The quirky two-dome design and the prominent tank brackets makes the loco look like a bit of a bruiser. 

Another LBSC loco to go with it would be nice - a C2X maybe, or a D3?!

All the bets,

Colin 

Hi Dave,

Great work on the E5X!  The finish is as good as the construction of this model.  The quirky two-dome design and the prominent tank brackets makes the loco look like a bit of a bruiser. 

Another LBSC loco to go with it would be nice - a C2X maybe, or a D3?!

All the bets,

Colin 

Dave

I concur, excellent model and she does look a bit of a beast.

As an aside does anyone know what Brighton put in the second dome?

The second dome housed the top-feed, according to Bradley, "to raise the clacks and permit the fitting of a deeper distributing tray to prevent any matter suspended in the water entering the boiler. Cleaning and inspection was also made easier and quicker."

Edit

I realise that this quote is slightly out of context. Lawson Billinton introduced top-feed to the LBSCR on the ninth and tenth of his K Class 2-6-0 freight locos, in 1916, replacing the side feed used previously. However, this required a manhole cover on the boiler, between the dome and the smokebox, and eventually seven of the class were fitted with this arrangement. It was in 1920 that L Billinton decided to place the clack valves inside a second dome, with his final batch, 347-353, emerging from Brighton Works thus endowed. The quote refers to the improved arrangement offered by the additional dome.

Edited by Nick Holliday

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The second dome housed the top-feed, according to Bradley, "to raise the clacks and permit the fitting of a deeper distributing tray to prevent any matter suspended in the water entering the boiler. Cleaning and inspection was also made easier and quicker."

Edit

I realise that this quote is slightly out of context. Lawson Billinton introduced top-feed to the LBSCR on the ninth and tenth of his K Class 2-6-0 freight locos, in 1916, replacing the side feed used previously. However, this required a manhole cover on the boiler, between the dome and the smokebox, and eventually seven of the class were fitted with this arrangement. It was in 1920 that L Billinton decided to place the clack valves inside a second dome, with his final batch, 347-353, emerging from Brighton Works thus endowed. The quote refers to the improved arrangement offered by the additional dome.

Thanks for that Nick.  

Additionally, Russell states that the Billinton Topfeed arrangement was abandoned by about 1930, although the second domes remained in place.

In the modelled condition, standard SR clack-valves are fitted in the usual boiler-side location.  So I guess that by then the second dome actually performed no function?

There's a photo on the SR Group's site here:  http://www.semgonline.com/steam/c3class_01.html  showing a C3 Class with the clack-valves mounted on the front dome.

32401 has now been delivered to it's new "home shed", so I'm hoping some news of it will appear here courtesy of the shed Foreman!

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT

• RMweb Gold

I built it before I joined Rmweb, although I did strip and repaint it a year or so ago. It's the DJH kit built out of the box, with a few small detail additions such as etched brake gear.

It was my first kit, so the body was glued together rather than soldered - nothing's dropped off it yet! The chassis is the DJH one, but the kit originally came with an open-frame  motor and single-stage gearbox that I couldn't get to work, so I eventually substituted a ready-made DJH one which proved much smoother. I added tender pickups as well, as the chassis had an occasional tendency to stall otherwise.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just getting started on the latest project, but first I really needed to clean up and re-organise the workbench.  

It now looks like this:

1534615911_IMG_2125small.jpg.86d076ae0ffcd60e5db7cfbd7d3da751.jpg

I've also fitted the workshop and layout with with LED "Daylight" 4000Kelvin bulbs.  This photo has had no colour correction at all.  With the White-Balance set to 4000k (fluourescent) its straight off the camera.

709983209_IMG_2123small.jpg.8bbda4450f7866eaecf439748dc0fc07.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 11

Just getting started on the latest project, but first I really needed to clean up and re-organise the workbench.  

It now looks like this:

attachicon.gifIMG_2125 small.jpg

I've also fitted the workshop and layout with with LED "Daylight" 4000Kelvin bulbs.  This photo has had no colour correction at all.  With the White-Balance set to 4000k (fluourescent) its straight off the camera.

attachicon.gifIMG_2123 small.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Wish I had a work table that looked that organised, mine is, let's say, more chaotic! :O :o ;)

• RMweb Premium

Wish I had a work table that looked that organised, mine is, let's say, more chaotic! :O :o ;)

You should have seen it earlier!  Perhaps I should have done a "before and after".

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Cranking up the soldering iron again, to build an LSWR Drummond K10 "Small Hopper" from a VERY old EJ Sharp etched kit.

The kit is clearly "of it's time", with no tab & slot construction or helpful location devices, so you're a bit on your own with regard to assembling the parts.

However I see no reason why a decent model can't be built from it, dimensionally its not perfect, but appears ok.  I have variopus drawing and photos trawled from books and the net, plus those provided by the kindness of fellow RMweb-ers.

The loco chassis is missing from the kit, so there will be some scratchbuilding required.  However as I rarely build a chassis the way its intended that's not a huge problem.  Older kits in particular have chassis designed around obsolete or no longer obtainable motors and gearboxes.  Anyway, a very nice Mashima and Highlevel combination have been supplied.

I'll put some photos up when there's something to see.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Wow! That loco's so pretty it could almost be Scottish! 

Like others, I'm looking forward to this build, Dave. I don't think the lack of slots and tabs should slow you down - they're often more of a hindrance than help in my experience. 

• RMweb Premium

Ok, here's some photos.

First, a selection of the etches, minus the parts for the footplate.

1862515189_IMG_2140small.jpg.1d49ded14a04d8c41b6e012db2b213bd.jpg

The assembled footplate from above and below

832699226_IMG_2142small.jpg.fdd23dd19f7368542c82e7d2b2236883.jpg

968443443_IMG_2144small.jpg.3874988970b41220fb6e0dc187880e13.jpg

I've strengthened the valance join with lengths of .9mm brass wire, as I didn't have any square or angle section to hand of the right size. 

The footplate was a bit short when compared to the various drawings, so I've spliced on an extra 2mm at the cab end.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6