East Yarde (now 2 metres, plus fiddle yards) - now sold

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

As a break from building Orchard Road TMD, I thought that a small layout was required. I will explain.

I wanted to built something a little different from Orchard Road, that I can use indoors (on the dining table) primarily for setting up the DCC decoders in my locomotives, but can also be used for photography my stock (and friend's stock if required). Orchard Road lives in the shed and is not always easy to use for photography. I also wanted to use C&L '00' track rather than Peco.

So, the layout is 1 metre long (hence the play on words) and based upon Yarde on the Torrington to Meeth line in Devon, which incorporates a very short Southern cast concrete platform, small waiting shelter and level crossing. A simple 9mm plywood open-frame base board as constructed, being glued with PVA and pinned. A layer of cork was glued to the plywood using Copydex, with the track being laid with a 'S' curve for added interest, although the track at Yarde was straight, again glued using Copydex. The ballast (2mm Green Scenes) was applied whilst the glue was still wet and will be touched up where necessary. As mentioned, the track is a length of C&L flexi track. The rails have been given a base coat of rust and will require a bit more colouring to bring the detail out of the chairs.

The small waiting shelter was scratchbuilt from plasticard, using Ratio windows, which although slightly too big for the prototype, look ok. There is a small bench inside and dust added to the floor. The building now needs colouring and weathering, as only painted in a base colour for the moment. The platform still requires considerable work before finished, but is fabricated from plasticard and Dart Casting platform supports.

A start has also been made to the level crossing, which was an open crossing.

There are few photos in various books and on the internet showing a few trains passing through and will sort some links for these at a later date.

This will be a winter project, which can be worked on at the dining table whilst the family sit and watch the television and should provide a good diversion. It is also intended that a short fiddle yard could be added to each end so trains can run through and there is potential to use as a module with other people's modules.

Still, that's the introduction and now back to work!

Richard

post-7854-036645000 1287240001_thumb.jpg

post-7854-075762800 1287240012_thumb.jpg

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

What a difference using bull head rail makes - flatbottom just wouldn't look right for this somehow would it! Good job :)

Thanks James, I am vert pleased with the appearance of the bull-head already and still need to finish painting, plus touching up the ballast.

• RMweb Gold

indeed - the way the track and basic structure appearance and painting makes me think this is worth watching even at the 'plywood acres' stage.

Russ, thanks for your comments.

I was in two minds whether to wait until I had made more progress or start posting now. Progress will be sporadic and will update when I get a few more things completed. However, doing it this way enables me to describe things as I do them, rather than perhaps glossing over at a later date. There are techniques / methods used that we take for granted and other newer modellers do not have any experience and is certainly worthwhile sharing when given the opportunity.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Loving that blue 25...

on a short train of clay opens it will really capture the line.

Nice project...

Thanks, yes a few clay opens would look good.

To be honest, I've not done anything else to East Yarde, instead have been concentrating on Orchard Road.

However, with a bit of enthusiasm, I'm sure that I will get some more done. I've been held up waiting to get the platform sorted, plus making a start on the basic land forms.

I will post photos when I make some more progress.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good idea, less is more as I keep being told. All the best Andy.

Hi Andy,

I can't remember when I last did anything on this one! I've been focusing on other things, but I should really do something with it!

Yes, very much 'less-is-more' with this one!

We must join up East Yard and Meeth Halt at some point. :) althow someone will have to build Dunsbear Halt and Petrockstow to go inbetween the two layouts! lol

Chris

You might have a long wait for that though!

Gives me an idea for our next club show - kind of module layouts, but each from the same the line ......

Hi Andy,

I can't remember when I last did anything on this one! I've been focusing on other things, but I should really do something with it!

Yes, very much 'less-is-more' with this one!

You might have a long wait for that though!

Gives me an idea for our next club show - kind of module layouts, but each from the same the line ......

Many modules make big layout, like my Deesdale Road , it started as a 4 ft 6 in module, then I doubled it, then I added another 4 ft for Model Rail Live and now it has another 4 ft at the other end for another fiddle yard so now its 17 FEET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ray,

I'm not sure how I find the time sometimes, but there is usually not very much on the television, so often sit down and do some modelling. I try and do a few things everyday - it's surprising how much you can get done only spendiing an hour each evening!

• RMweb Gold

As promised a few photos showing progress on the layout / diorama.

The contours for the ground started with pieces of polystyrene roughly cut and glued into place using bathroom sealant / no-more-nails - i.e. anything that I had left in the garage. Then a layer of Hydrocal was then applied. The road level was also built up with hydrocal, up the finish flush with the rail head. A second layer was applied where needed, but drys extremely quickly when applying more - must be something to do with the way that the previous dry layer absorbs the water. This second layer can be a bit tricky!

The backscene is from Gaugemaster and trimmed to suit, then glued with a thin coating of wall-paper paste. It is still drying a little when the photos were taken, but checking this morning, all is nicely dried.

I have made some progress with the platform - previously was a little wide, so has been trimmed down and now added the rear posts for wires to be added later.

Next job will be to add the basic ground covering all over the contours and road surface. I may get chance to do this later today. I like to get a basic ground covering on first and then built up the scenic detail afterwards - e.g. static grass, fencing, bushes, tress etc.

An overall view. Note, the last second of track is being glued, hence the drawing pins and the hole through the backscene is only roughly cut and will be trimmed later. Most of the hole will be hidden by trees and bushes.

post-7854-0-91636600-1322393560.jpg

A class 25 with a parcels train. These are Parkside Dundas kits, built several years ago and still waiting decals! Hopefully will get these finally finished in the next couple of weeks.

post-7854-0-62089500-1322393564.jpg

The platform has not yet been glued down, hence the gap!

post-7854-0-64182500-1322393568.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well, things has moved along a little bit today. The basic ground covering has been glued to the road and the contours, so when fully dry will remove the excess and can then move on. The platform will then be glued in place and I will take a couple more photos. After that, I think that I will make a start on the trees.