Country Pub and Narrow boat in N-gauge

traction

• RMweb Gold

Well another two finished:-

Word of warning, when running the pen around the window openings take care!! otherwise you make a hash of it like me!!

Firstly I forgot that the white front wall would be the finished colour so didn't really pay attention to how much ink I was putting on.

Also the marker pen I used to go round the window frames absorbed into the paper and has made marks around the window frames.

Moral pay attention and take your time!!!!

The interior has lots of detail, shame it won't get seen, although it might in the OO kit as the windows will be larger to see through.

I think it would be possible to leave a wall removable to see inside, would need to experiment.

KIF_0836.jpg

Front of Pub

KIF_0837.jpg

Side of pub

KIF_0841.jpg

Back of pub

KIF_0839.jpg

Narrow boat, I have buit this with the cabin doors in the closed position, but you can build them open or closed.

KIF_0838.jpg

KIF_0843.jpg

KIF_0842.jpg

Cheers

Ian

EDIT:-

I've been asked for dimensions, thought this would give a better idea, although don't cover the baseboards in tenners, very expensive :lol:

KIF_0844.jpg

Cheers

Those do look nice, Mr T.

For chimney pots I don't think you can beat the Nick Metcalfe method of rolling them from paper, but I prefer newspaper and thick Burnt Sienna acrylic paint 'twirled' on and finally matt varnished, like below

Tear newspaper so there is no 'end' cut to show

post-106-024682600 1287311382_thumb.jpg

Wrap around cocktail stick 2-3 turns befor lightly smearing with PVA

post-106-013922800 1287311384_thumb.jpg

Roll up and final smear of PVA

post-106-075213000 1287311385_thumb.jpg

'Twiddle' between fingers covered in acrylic paint

post-106-040614500 1287311387_thumb.jpg

A selection of pots. By rolling a soggy pot against a coarse file you can imprint the chequered patter seen on many Jacobean country houses.

post-106-047075100 1287311494_thumb.jpg

I hope this might help someone,

Doug

I forgot to add that if you rub the cocktail stick with candle wax it can make sliding the pot off easier.

D

post-106-032799300 1287311378_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

John sent me a very quick copy reduced to N-gauge, so I could build it for him for the Warley exhibition.

I was in two minds if I should post this, but I didn't want anybody to spoil the window frames so I posted it anyway, knowing that this may happen.

It's a difficult one as the OO version has been commissioned by Hornby magazine so has the Narrow boat kit

John has to wait a number of months before he can release them as downloadable kits on his web site.

I have asked if the N-gauge version could also be included in HM but they are very limited for space and as yet have not done it.

Failing that it would be nice if the N-gauge kit could be made available to purchase via the Scalescenes web site when it's released in the magazine, but I think even that is doubtful because HM have commissioned it.

The other alternative is to buy Hornby Magazine take the kit out and scan it into a PC, then print it out at a reduced size to suit N-gauge, or if you can get to a copier centre they should be able to copy the image and print it out resized for N.

I think that would be ok to do, as you've bought the magazine.

I believe the Narrow boat and Country pub kit will be available for download in the new year.

Cheers

Ian

Many thanks Ian for posting those images. Nice build!!

As Ian mentions I still have a few small issues to iron out with the instructions and kit as well as adding a few elements like the base and rear car park that I just couldn't fit on to the Hornby Magazine version.

All going well it should available late November.

Cheers

John

I also roll my chimney pots from paper, I use a selection of different diameter round head nails, as you can roll under the head to get a nice straight roll when required, I use terracota emulsion tester pots, as well as acrylics for colouring.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived