Warren Lane

bugs bunny

Many thanks for the kind words guys. There were many fantastic layouts there at the weekend and for me it was a pleasure to have been asked to attend and meet some of the unusual RMWeb names in person. For my sins I ended up joining DEMU......such is life! (I was particularly taken with some of the wagons on Farkham, nice work chaps!)

Anyway, only 3 pictures from me this time, tried to show some of the more unusual in 2 of them!

post-9147-0-22459600-1433157916_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-54300900-1433157938_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-67433900-1433157957_thumb.jpg

Well, it would be nice if everything went as smoothly as the ACT soft top......

trying to make one of these big blue beasts:

http://www.matts-place.com/intermodal/part1/images/khlu5410963_4310.jpg

Got to this point, just applied the big side transfers:

post-9147-0-85961400-1433436330_thumb.jpg

And realised I have no white Letters/Numbers left in my transfer stash. ######.

(Hey Alan, you big hunk of man, do you have any spares?! Much love! :) )

Edit: nevermind, found some :)

Starting to think I have issues. Alan gave me an idea and parts for a couple of containers, felt rude not to see what could be created. So, Just turned 1 of these long unfinished red boxes into a blue box:

post-9147-0-17353800-1433598418_thumb.jpg

1 down 1 to go. Carefully shaving off 2mm of each end of a container then sculpting the roof to fit new sides....... I need a trip to the pub!

Having fun at Wreckrail Al?

Busy creating more container weathering work while you're there, curtain siders finished (there's a idiots (me) guide on how they were done in my 'Containers and Stuff' thread in the Intermodal sub forum for anyone with as many issues as I have to be interested) and plain green old box to help me prove to myself I'm not addicted to bright multi coloured containers!

post-9147-0-81483900-1433682848_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-13476600-1433683098_thumb.jpg

Camera is clearly feeling cruel today! How's Oldshaw behaving?

Hi, I really like those wagons and containers.  Thanks for posting the photos.

Please excuse my ignorance, but are the wagons the Hornby KFA ones that you have weathered?

The reason I ask is that I model BR 1985-1995 and I was wondering if the KFA's were operating during that time?

At the moment I have the older Triang Hornby flats, and will be waiting (probably a long time!) for the new Bachmann ones.

Hi, I really like those wagons and containers.  Thanks for posting the photos.

Please excuse my ignorance, but are the wagons the Hornby KFA ones that you have weathered?

The reason I ask is that I model BR 1985-1995 and I was wondering if the KFA's were operating during that time?

At the moment I have the older Triang Hornby flats, and will be waiting (probably a long time!) for the new Bachmann ones.

Yes they're the Hornby KFAs with a heavy dose of weathering. I don't have the exact date on me, but I think it was mid to late 80s they were introduced. Like you I also have a large pile of the old Hornby flats, I'd got part way through the s-kits detailing pack for them when Bachmann made their announcement! Debating finishing a set off as I'm not sure where the string ends for the Bachmann ones getting released.

Right, during shows quite often I'll realise that somebody is videoing crane operations. It's at about that moment that the crane will choose to drop a container and it ends up laying on it's side........like this:

post-9147-0-79989100-1434049645.jpg

So from now on the that's the prototypical excuse for it and I'm sticking to that!

Photo posted with permission, copyright and courtesy of Mr Tom Smith. He gives me some good stuff! Fantastic roof detail there, cheers Tom!

Nope- definitely not good. If your twistlock position lights tell lies and a box falls off the hook the chances are someone's gonna have a really bad day.

I was a gantry crane driver for over ten years and believe me, when a box falls off it isn't a pleasant feeling...

Apparently, there are certain establishments that deliberately put boxes on to their sides, so they can use one of the doors as a ramp to drive a forklift up when back-loading them with scrap! Such practices are apparently causing great problems with uneven loading, in some instances leading to derailments. It's apparently a large enough problem that the UIC have a working group looking at this and other loading issues. 

I've heard anecdotally that some boxes are up ended and filled that way!

You see some boxes full of scrap that are so tamped full that they are literally bulging..

One company with yellow boxes are often known to be heavy.

You see some boxes full of scrap that are so tamped full that they are literally bulging..

One company with yellow boxes are often known to be heavy.

This was another practice that was mentioned, apparently. 

• 2 months later...

Any new updates??

thanks neil.

Nothing new model wise for the layout. A photo shoot happened a couple of weekends ago with Tim Easter for Rail Express Modeller and the layout in its back dated form is due to appear in the magazine before its final show at Warley in November.

Pretty common I suspect these days - hopefully they are using proper kit to handle the box so it's not quite as dodgy as it sounds - unbalanced weight shouldn't be as big an issue that way. See: https://a-ward.com/container-loaders/for the handling kit (would make a nice model....)

Just as long as it's not bulging because of the chemical reactions going off due to differing metals... http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1047381.display/

However, if a box is declared at 30 ton but weighs closer to 40 ton because it's been rammed to the gunnels..

And then the crane that has to pick it up has a spreader with a SWL of only 36 ton, then you can work out the potential results!

Also, when loading pairs of 20' boxes to tugs, they may only 'run' 2 tons front heavy, so incorrect declared weights (due to over loading or otherwise) are dangerous.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A little update.

Warren Lanes last show is only 4 weeks away.

So we will be busy with some little bits that need sorting out before Warley.

post-9211-0-38380600-1446279954_thumb.jpg

We have had a visitor 

Tim Easter paid a visit to photograph Warren Lane for Rail Express.

post-9211-0-65610800-1446280139_thumb.jpg

The results should be in the December issue.

Archived