Warren Lane

bugs bunny

The layout has moved on and been renamed (the name wasn't part of the sale). A new thread has been started to cover the next chapter in the layouts life here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106272-wulfruna/

Alan and Maggie are still involved and the same quality of work will be continued. I've a lot of work to do!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Congratulations mags and Alan on the Hornby award a well deserved award.

It was great to see the layout one last time and to talk to you both.

I greatly enjoyed the time I was with the layout and would like to say Good luck with all your future modelling projects including the excellent oldshaw.

Phil

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

I absolutely love Warren Lane and have been following this with keen interest for some time now, the detail and action is second to none!

I'm really curious as to how the track has been laid that the crane runs along.

I know with the standard Heljan baseplates the effect would look nowhere near as convincing as Warren Lane does.

Would anyone care to share the techniques employed to lay the cranes 'runners' please?

The reason I ask is that I have a layout under construction and managed to get my hands on a Heljan crane last year however I'm a little short on the extension track sets and don't have enough to attach to the plastic Heljan base.

I prefer the look of the Warren lane ballasted track but of course that lead me to wonder how the crane is sat i.e. on the Heljan base or have new 'runners' been made out of a code 75/100 rail perhaps?

Kind Regards

Craig

• 1 year later...

Nice layout! Will it be at Warley this year?

I am guessing this may have been asked already, but in 120 pages of thread it's not easy to find!

I have the Heljan crane which I unboxed for the first time in about 10 years to use on The Great Model Railway Challenge. To my surprise it didn't work! One of the drive gears has split...

Have you ever had this issue? Do you know where we can get replacement gears, preferably brass?!

Thanks

Mike

PS - my crane will be on the Hornby stand at Warley next week, working or not!

Guest teacupteacup

I am guessing this may have been asked already, but in 120 pages of thread it's not easy to find!

I have the Heljan crane which I unboxed for the first time in about 10 years to use on The Great Model Railway Challenge. To my surprise it didn't work! One of the drive gears has split...

Have you ever had this issue? Do you know where we can get replacement gears, preferably brass?!

Thanks

Mike

I dont think this layout goes to exhibitions any more, it was sold to new owners and has been renamed.

I saw it at Perth a few years back, fantastic layout

Thanks

Mike

Hi, glad you like it, all from the hands of Alan Bevan and stunning work it is too. The layout is currently retired from the exhibition circuit, it's last outing was Warley 2015, it may return in the future but other commitments are taking priority at the moment.

I did notice watching GMRC that from the movements you seemed to have the 'up' fault. Yes we've had that issue with cranes brand new from the box before too. Did get a quote from a watchmaker once of at least £60 to custom make one of those gears in metal. However Alan found that one of the other gears in the crane is identical and we swapped it out with a spare one we had... but I no I can't remember which it is! Spares are not available separately. Did think about experimenting with 3d printing but the plastics at the time were too brittle. I think some 3d print services do metal too but I don't know how fine they can go.

Hope that helps, good luck :)

Hi, glad you like it, all from the hands of Alan Bevan and stunning work it is too. The layout is currently retired from the exhibition circuit, it's last outing was Warley 2015, it may return in the future but other commitments are taking priority at the moment.

I did notice watching GMRC that from the movements you seemed to have the 'up' fault. Yes we've had that issue with cranes brand new from the box before too. Did get a quote from a watchmaker once of at least £60 to custom make one of those gears in metal. However Alan found that one of the other gears in the crane is identical and we swapped it out with a spare one we had... but I no I can't remember which it is! Spares are not available separately. Did think about experimenting with 3d printing but the plastics at the time were too brittle. I think some 3d print services do metal too but I don't know how fine they can go.

Hope that helps, good luck :)

Ahh that's great info thanks. I'll see if I can get one made sometime in metal. For now, I'll just try and glue it for Warley - if I get time!

Archived