Warren Lane

bugs bunny

I love the Freightliner container lorry, I only wish they were on the market, I would buy a whole fleet!!!! ;) .

Chris

Hi,

Sorry to Hijack the thread a bit, but Peter Harvey's (A member on here) PHD Designs produces an etch to build a Skeleton Container Truck. Look at this Threadon the old RMWeb to a guide on how to build it.

The photos keep getting better and better!

Keep up the good work!

Simon

Amazing layout! I love the Freightliner container lorry, I only wish they were on the market, I would buy a whole fleet!!!! ;) .

What did you use for the yellow speed ramp?

Chris

Hi Chris

I didn't know about PHD designs truck until a couple of days ago...........now i've got 2 on order they look excellent :)

Thanks for the links Simon i've just looked at the old RMWeb topic some nice pics ..Maritime trailer, Hyundia 20'

As for the Yellow speed ramp? I think you mean these (dont ask me what they are called)

Felixstowe South Terminal

post-9211-020162400 1291420579_thumb.jpg

These are made of plaster with bent wire set in while still wet. then painted with acrylics. Looking at them again I might make them a bit smaller.

post-9211-071689700 1291420617_thumb.jpg

regards Alan

To explain shipping companies use different ports, so you see more Maersk at Felixstowe and more NYK at Southampton thats very simplistic and I hope Martyn (Glorious NSR) or someone with more knowledge than me will post with a more comprehensive explanation.

LOL - i've been trying to untangle it all for years! :D You're right different companies use different ports, but a few use more than one UK port, or at least are in agreements which see their boxes arriving in the UK on other companies ships for example - overlay that with mergers and changes in policy as well - for example P&O Nedlloyd used Southampton, so when they merged with Maersk both companies boxes became common at both Southampton and Felixstowe - Maersk a couple of years back pulled out of Southampton again though so both are now common at Felixstowe but not now at Southampton!

Bit of a leftfield suggestion, but would it work as an inland terminal if box mix is a question? That way it could be served by trains from several ports, with a greater mix of boxes (even some "domestic" or tunnel stuff if you wanted?)

You could even make a feature of (for instance) the "Felixstowe/Tilbury via London" trains being all 60' flats whereas Soton, Thamesport and Felixstowe via Peterborough trains include pockets and lowliners for high-cubes?

On the other hand, you can always play the "IMTS" (it's my trainset) card and not worry too much! ;)

Yes please can we have some more pictures of your layout?

Some from the construction if you have any?

Pete

Hi pete

Its taken a while but but I have dug out some pictures from when we started we didn't take many.........to busy :)

The baseboard is 10mm ply cut into 100mm wide strips these age glued together with small inserts to make the frame work

The top is again 10mm ply. The boards are connected with bolts and C& L dowels

post-9211-029698400 1291877920_thumb.jpg

The whole thing sits on metal trestles, I have made some level adjustment by fitting coach bolts and nuts,

these work really well and it only takes a few minutes to set up and get level

post-9211-083773200 1291877953_thumb.jpg

Regards Alan

Warren Lanes scenery

In this picture you can see the basic shape made out of wooden formers covered in chicken wire

post-9929-097787200 1292082549_thumb.jpg

This was covered with layers of tissue paper and PVA glue and then layers of tealeaves and PVA, This dries to a really hard tough earth which was then painted brown

ready for the grass which is hanging basket liner from Wilkinsons

post-9929-026274100 1292082587_thumb.jpg

Holiday Plans

I have just received the new Crane (thanks Terry) so over the holiday I intend to repaint it ready for WARREN LANE 2

Warren Lane #1

post-9211-015186500 1292156479_thumb.jpg

I have still to decide the length of the new section, I would like another 6ft but will probable have to settle for 4ft :( our neighbours garage will be full of our Railway

Freightliner Fleet

Diesels Part 1

We Have 3 Bachmann class 57 ( 57007 57008 57 011)

008 Is one of my favorites Fitted with a Bachmann 8 pin DCC chip, It performs really well. It is great at slow speeds and hasnt let me down

It was one of my first attempts at weathering, and is. Number 1 on the Expo roster.

011 will be joining it at the Stowmarket show, it is in the workshop awaiting a Howes DCC sound chip to be fitted, and weathering

007 is in reserve

post-9929-080686400 1292190597_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I love the standard of weathering on your containers - do you use paint or powders?

Great stuff!

Simon

Hi Simon

It's really easy

Its all acrylic paint, small rust spots are done with a pin dipped into a red/brown paint then just put very small dots onto the container, then brush down with a clean brush dipped in water to give that little streak effect. For the corners where the rust is heavier I put the water on first and then float the paint on,it flows into the edges.

A lot of containers are damaged and receive repairs these are painted and the patches these never match the original colour to replicate these I just mask up with 4mm wide paper masking tape and mix up a slightly different shade of paint, then spray them with an air brush............sometimes it works........sometimes it doesn't .........and they become TEX( a nice brown will cover all mistakes)

This pic is a good example, the Tex its a bit over the top :O but they are about, and look at the different shades of Triton colour nobody could say your model is the wrong shade :P

post-9929-093818700 1292694199_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan,

Welcome to rmweb. Ireally like the look of your layout. :D The freightliner terminal is superb, but i am really impressed with your overhead catenary. :rolleyes: more pictures please. :lol: cheers joe. B)

Hi Joe

You are in luck we got the Railway out Friday, set it up in Maggies garage and you guessed it........... it snowed :O and its still there so i've just taken these for you :)

4M00 Felixstowe to Hams Hall (MSC contract) This is my favorite bit of Catenary

post-9929-097986400 1292763264_thumb.jpg

From the other way

post-9929-083522600 1292763215_thumb.jpg

Archived