OKWB - Kato Portram evolves to a Lister

Kenton

Thanks

I had picked that figure up,and will probably try both 470 ohm and 560 ohm. My supply is a nominal 9volt, but it uses Pulse width Modulation, so the requirements may be different to that from a standard DC, smoothed or unsmoothed supply. There is some suggestion that a zener diode may be more effective, but again I would need to know the wattage required. For this it will be useful to know the resistance and current draw of the Portram motor.

Ron

Hi Ron,

The 470 ohm resistor I used is rated at 0.125 watt, chosen mainly because of it's physical size. There's not much roon to play with under that little Lister...

I can't remember what the current draw of the of the Portram motor was, but the resistor shows no sign of heating even after a few minutes running.

Nigel Lawton supplies miniature surface mount resistors with his motors for 12v use but they get pretty warm.

Thanks for the Mikroantriebe link, there's some very interesting geared micromotors there just waiting for tiny locos to be built around them!

Clive.

• 4 years later...

Dragging this thread back up, I fancy making a couple of Lister's for my next layout and wondered if the Portram chassis is available separately now?

It used to be but I've not found anyone listing them as spares for some while. Possibly the only way is to buy a Kato Portram which has two powered bogie units and either sell one on or keep for another project. There are many sellers on ebay and elsewhere but you'll need to watch out for the dreaded Royal Mail fee and VAT.

• 6 years later...
10 hours ago, Shed82CB said:

Oh dear! this thread looks facinating but the photo links appear to have broken? does anyone know how to fix this? tempted to do my own and would love to see others!

Sadly Kenton doesn't seem to have posted on here for some while, so it could be that the links to the photos are now obsolete.

The RT Models Lister is a very simple kit to assemble but I would suggest you source a Kato Portram or Centram power bogie first - try ebay. You'll probably have to buy a complete tram but will then have a spare bogie in hand or to sell on.

You might also find some information over on:

https://ngrm-online.com/

• Like 2

Managed to find a pic of the one I built.

P1010472

The brass one behind is a Roy Link 7mm one, and they are posed on the bonnet of a Lister RailTruck. It is very tiny, but easy and fun to build. Worst part is the small amount of soldering required on the Kato chassis. 

Edited by decauville1126
spelling
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, decauville1126 said:

Sadly Kenton doesn't seem to have posted on here for some while, so it could be that the links to the photos are now obsolete.

The RT Models Lister is a very simple kit to assemble but I would suggest you source a Kato Portram or Centram power bogie first - try ebay. You'll probably have to buy a complete tram but will then have a spare bogie in hand or to sell on.

You might also find some information over on:

https://ngrm-online.com/

THanks for that, a shame they haven't posted in a while. yours looks good and i will have a look at trying to make an account on NGRM, thanks!

• Like 1