Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

You may be right Ian. At the moment the harbour will be some 2ft x 1ft 3ins. It could go to almost 2ft 6 ins long if I push it. Deleting the front edge means some difficult baseboard surgery as I cannot take it out as the backscene is screwed to it and the next board and I cannot get at the screws. I'll give it some thought. It would though solve the problem of how to make the harbour entrance look convincing.

Edited for an afterthought.

Edited by westerner

Perhaps the Harbour wall could become the front of the baseboard, you could then extend the board slightly forward at a lower level to give the fishing boats etc.  The space behind the harbour wall could then be taken up with warehousing, cottages etc  giving the feel of the community the station serves. I know structure modelling is not your forte but you could probably get suitable models from the bachman and Hornby ranges.

Seeing all these photos of the surgery go up is a bit like watching "Your life in their hands" and almost as traumatic.

• RMweb Gold

Well that's the sad bit over with now for something interesting. One of the smallest Harbours that was rail served was Bullo Pill Forest of Dean Area. Bude is another suggestion where the canal ends in a sea lock. As I write this I also remember Portreath served by a mineral line there was an article in Archive. A last thought is Dartmouth near the Station building (never had any railway though) there is a small marina bit off the main river. Must have a photo somewhere.

Don

The "size" of the harbour doesn't seem too bad looking at the scrag end of the real Kingsbridge Quay as seen in this photo:

http://www.daveuptonphotography.co.uk/kingsbridge-the-quay-11#photo

We bought a Suzuki Jeep from Quay Garage in 1987. Nice idea, but I think along the front is a better plan as in  Camel Quay or Hintock Quay.

Thanks for all your ideas chaps. My idea was a small harbour for an inshore fishing fleet, even if I take on Ian's suggestion it would be modelled as an inner harbour with say 12-15ins taken out of the front of the baseboard, to keep the structural integrity of the baseboard.

• Like 1

I was just thinking about the items of milk traffic related stock you have already and the splendid creamery building you made from the walthers kit. but it will be interesting to see what will replace it in the lineside industry.

Maybe something involving Cider making and surrounded by pleasant apple trees perhaps?

A cornish pasty factory perhaps, or somewhere churning out cream teas?

A 'Cornish' bakery? That could raise a further question of which side of the bridge the layout is to be set on? ;)

Hmm... I'm further intrigued to watch with a greater interest on developments!

• RMweb Premium

Apropos of nothing in particular - How about a lifeboat station

That confirms that 'Train Station' is an OK term to use. I am converted.

Meat Processing Plant would be smelly.

I spy a Maunsell coach in your sidings. Brave man.

Sincerely

Quackers.