Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

• 4 weeks later...

Work has also progressed on the classs120. Last night the bodywork got its first all over coat of primer.

post-7090-12650624537563_thumb.jpg

post-7090-12650624716564_thumb.jpg

post-7090-12650624240696_thumb.jpg

Discovered there is still a bit of filling to do on the cab - roof join where I was not too clever in cutting the roof (too short)

Tonight I have got round to paintiting the bogies (no pix as yet and also doing the roof filling. Hopefully tomorrow will rub down for the last timeblink.gif

• Like 4

Hi Westerner,

glad I've found this layout again on the new site. I've always liked the way your many cameo scenes (the creamery, bridges, stream, cottages, country lane off the main road, etc) give the impression of a much more complex layout than it probably is. Yet nothing seems overdone in any way. It looks very natural. Nice!

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve. The whole idea was to give it a an air of spaciousness by not cramming in too much track. The station board is 2ft 9 ins wide actually wider than CJF's original plan. I think the other thing that makes it work like that is not having the station on a straight with sharp curves at each end, but rather making the whole thing more of an ellipse by using transition curves, I feel this helps with spacious look. As you say the off railway bits do make it look a little more complex than it actually is.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken advantage of Offline time and built the loads for the ballast wagons. I used the same method as for the coal wagons, ie pan scourers. The scourer was cut to shape and then sprayed brown. When dry it was covered with PVA and then the ballast was sprinkled on. When that was dry the ballast was sprayed a light brown.

At the moment I can't upload pixs but will do when possible.

A little more progress on the 120

post-7090-126756220405_thumb.jpg

post-7090-126756218103_thumb.jpg

As you see it is now green. Next Job the roof. Can anybody recommend a colour. On my 117 I used Precision Roof Dirt which matched to photo I was working to but I feel that is a bit too dark for the 120.

Any help gratefully accepted.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Some really nice touches there Westerner, I like the close ups and the cameos - especially the road bridge. As much as I think scale track etc is desirable and of course should be available RTR, I think the important thing for a layout is atmosphere and that is very difficult to capture. It is also extremely difficult thing to explain. From the photographs you have shown us I think you have captured the feel for the area, your layout describes what is going on and shows what can be done with items that are available to pretty much everyone.

keep the photos coming.

John

• 2 weeks later...

That 120 is coming on nicely, one thing you may want to consider (if you haven't already) is making some "backs" to the battery box etc and some exhaust pipes for the underframe, I found on my 128 (which uses the same etched underframe details) that the extra detail makes a real difference. I think DC Kits could really improve the are beneath the solebars as the bodies are an excellent standard but the underframes let them down.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The main reason there have been very few posts on the thread is that my enthusiasm has stall through a poorly arranged fiddle yard due to wanting large transition curves and a minimum radius of 2ft 6inches into the mainline fiddle yard. However a bit of lateral thinking about the way I want to operate Wencombe led me to use the shortest rod in the fiddle yard as an entry in 4 dead end sidings thus giving me 3 extra storage roads on the main fiddle yard.

See attached diagram (not scale)

post-7090-128173186079.jpg

Hopefully this will give me the impetus to finish the layout.

It also proves to me how important planning the fiddle yard is rather than doing it as an afterthought.

• Like 3