Guildford 'O' Gauge Group - Reading Trade Show

Pint of Adnams

Very true, thanks for pointing it out, I probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise B)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I guess it will be finished by christmas? ...............2011!

• RMweb Gold

Yep, a big thumbs up from me too. icon_thumbsup2.gif

Whilst there, I bumped into 28ten, Pugsley, The Snapper, dikitriki, dibateg and Brian Daniels. Ended up spending a large chunk of cash at the various trade stands, but hey, that??™s what these events are all about. smile.gif

I??™d like to say a big thank you to Slater??™s ??“ I turned up at their stand with 14 sets of OF wagon wheels, which they very kindly exchanged for the S7 equivalent. They also exchanged my Castle bogie wheels (I??™d bought the wrong ones in error), which I wasn??™t really expecting them to do, as I??™d already opened the packets before realising my mistake.

Having done this, I was able to give the new bogie wheels (plus the existing driving & tender wheels), to Christopher Makepeace for re-profiling to S7. He made a cracking job of my Western wheels, so I??™m looking forward to getting these back in a week or so! smile.gif

Regards

Dan

Having done this, I was able to give the new bogie wheels (plus the existing driving & tender wheels), to Christopher Makepeace for re-profiling to S7. He made a cracking job of my Western wheels, so I??™m looking forward to getting these back in a week or so! smile.gif

Regards

Dan

Does that mean its going to be finished soon?!

I??™d like to say a big thank you to Slater??™s ??“ I turned up at their stand with 14 sets of OF wagon wheels, which they very kindly exchanged for the S7 equivalent. They also exchanged my Castle bogie wheels (I??™d bought the wrong ones in error), which I wasn??™t really expecting them to do, as I??™d already opened the packets before realising my mistake.

Hi Dan,

That was good service, presumably (apart from the Castle wheels) the OF wheels were still in the original packets? David White demurs at swapping OF coach and wagon wheelsets for S7 ones at shows, because that means opening sealed packets to extract the S7 wheelsets and messes up his stock control - that's why he prefers to swap the wheels and axles only via post.

Since the correct Castle bogie wheels would be OF anyway, and need reprofiling, I guess that was not a particular problem.

I mention this because expectations should not be raised that Slater's will swap just the wheelsets at shows, and thus avoid any disappointment or dissatisfaction in consequence.

Glad most of you enjoyed the show - a useful lesson for the future is to reserve in advance any item that you specifically want, or wish to examine prior to purchase. That way you should not necessarily have to suffer the mad morning melee. For the Guild's own shows, purchasing an advance ticket not only avoids long queues but also permits entry 15 minutes before official opening - giving a better chance to get to those limited stocks.

PoA

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dan,

That was good service, presumably (apart from the Castle wheels) the OF wheels were still in the original packets? David White demurs at swapping OF coach and wagon wheelsets for S7 ones at shows, because that means opening sealed packets to extract the S7 wheelsets and messes up his stock control - that's why he prefers to swap the wheels and axles only via post.

Since the correct Castle bogie wheels would be OF anyway, and need reprofiling, I guess that was not a particular problem.

I mention this because expectations should not be raised that Slater's will swap just the wheelsets at shows, and thus avoid any disappointment or dissatisfaction in consequence.

Glad most of you enjoyed the show - a useful lesson for the future is to reserve in advance any item that you specifically want, or wish to examine prior to purchase. That way you should not necessarily have to suffer the mad morning melee. For the Guild's own shows, purchasing an advance ticket not only avoids long queues but also permits entry 15 minutes before official opening - giving a better chance to get to those limited stocks.

PoA

Hi PoA

Yes, it was indeed very good service. I didn't realise these things are usually done via the postal system, so on that basis, it was extremely generous of David White (who actually dealt with me), to do this.

The wheels were all unused and in their original packaging (be that a small polythene bag or even some bubble wrap) and obviously, complete with bearings. My main concern was the sheer number of sets I wanted to swap - I didn't know I had that many unbuilt kits, until I started raiding the boxes for the wheels. Having swapped all my OF wheels now, I imagine I'll just order any future kits direct from Slater's, with the correct S7 wheels!

I'll second your recommendation to get advanced show tickets - I did it at Telford last September and it was great to get in early. icon_thumbsup2.gif

Regards

Dan

• 7 years later...

Archived