Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

The S&D Sentinels were somewhat different in shape from our model, but remember, it's YOUR layout, if you want to run a Sentinel, you don't need to make an excuse to do so!

CHRIS LEIGH

I'm already plotting. Was going to get a Roxey Planet but now I'm so confused. Chris, will similar projects be considered if this is successful?

• Like 1

Chris, will similar projects be considered if this is successful?

Let's not run before we can walk, but if it sells like hot cakes, well, we'd be silly not to follow it up, wouldn't we? Discussions in the office have already identified several possibilities and I'm trying to press the case for a ....!! No, better not say.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 2

Chris, will similar projects be considered if this is successful?

Let's not run before we can walk, but if it sells like hot cakes, well, we'd be silly not to follow it up, wouldn't we? Discussions in the office have already identified several possibilities and I'm trying to press the case for a ....!! No, better not say.

CHRIS LEIGH

I'm guessing your pressing for a railbus for your model of the Calne Branch. ;)

Very very pleased with the Sentinel. My vote will have to be for a No.54 as preserved. THis loco is based on the preserved railway I voulenteer at. If Model Rail are looking for any photos etc, give me a shout. This year is the Middleton Railways 50th year of preserved operation, and the Sentinel was one of our first locos.

Andy Hardy

Traffic Manager

Middleton Railway, Leeds

I received my subscription copy of Model Rail yesterday and was delighted to see the news about the Sentinel! As a working member of some years at the Middleton Railway I have had many happy experiences with 68153 in South Leeds. I would personally have a BR liveried 'Departmental Locomotive No.54'. We are currently compiling a book at the Railway to celebrate 50 years of preservation in 2010 so we have many photos of 'the potting shed' in action if you need any. Since restoration in the late 1980s the loco has actually carried several livery variations and has visited several sites away from Moor Road. Off the top of my head I can think of the East Lancs, Embsay, NYMR and Padiham Power Station. It carried a 68153 'smokebox' plate for some time too, see:

http://www.middletonrailway.org.uk/rollingstock/68153.htm

It has run as Departmental Locomotive no.54, No. 7, 471xx (can't remember exact number but this was for a photo charter) but always with the cycling lion crest (which was hand painted). It has never carried the later British 'Lion' Railways crest to my knowledge. In the 1960s and 1970s it always ran as plain number 54 or 59.

If you need any more information or photos please don't hesitate to get in touch. Unfortunately the locomotive is currently dismantled for restoration but still available for viewing at Moor Road.

Best wishes

Ian Dobson

PS You may want to consider adding a cleaner leaning against the footsteps to push uphill - I have seen this happen on wet rails at Middleton! The loco also carried a 'Deltic Preservation Society' headboard on it's first outing in preservation in the late 1980s, the first group to charter it!

Hi guys,

the front page of the web site has been updated to include an exciting new announcement.

Not saying on here, go and check wink.gif

www.Dapol.co.uk

Cheers

Dave

Wrong shade of Black, the sides are too thick, the bogies are wrong, the wheels are .00001 mm too big.

Just thought sitting in my armchair i would get the usual critisicisms in first. wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant stuff Dave! I'll be looking for two. Inspired choice! A plea from us wide gaugers. Seeing as it's at the design stage please could you make the small allowance for EM/P4ing between the frames?

A cunning plan comes to mind - so long as this beast is P4-able :lol:

Depending on what wheels are 'fitted' to that CAD artwork everything looks very close to the wheels...

Can I ask how long ago it was scanned? The turnaround to something that looks useful seems quite impressive. Laser scanning is certainly coming on in leaps and bounds!

As I said on the Model Rail thread I was sort of hoping for a Sentinel diesel shunter with the outside cranks.

Hi,

It was laser scanned on thursday the 16th July at 1.47 in the afternoon (seriously) rolleyes.gif

they even scanned the complete underneat and the cab at the same time. The process took about an hour in total due to this new equipment (500,000 scans per second).

the first cad cam was available without the detail in August, with the picture you see on the web site available to us in late September.

since then we have played with the cad a little internally to allow as much space as possible for DCC board, motor, gears etc and of course weight.

We are still at the engineering phase but hope to be cutting metal quite soon.smile.gif

hope this helps?

cheers

Dave

We are still at the engineering phase but hope to be cutting metal quite soon.smile.gif

hope this helps?

cheers

Dave

So its going to a tin can then? ;) Or is that for the chassis?

Are you steel trying to get away from the Hornby tin plate clockwork trains then 60B :icon_lol: :icon_thumbsup2: .

HAHAHAHA. I'm not even old enough to remember Zero 1. B)

• RMweb Gold

Well we've been asking for industrials so now time to put the money where the mouth was! Only problem is there are so many desirable releases blink.gif Pug finally gets a stablemate and now to finish off the two Agenoria kits.

Wrong shade of Black, the sides are too thick, the bogies are wrong, the wheels are .00001 mm too big.

laugh.gif nice one Nobby