Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

Hi Chris,

A shabby Isebrook would be great and I'd certainly order one if it was announced.

Didn't Cambridge have a departmental example as well?  I believe there is a photo in the Sawford book of the Cambridge-Kettering Line

Good news on the proposed third run as well.

Cheers,

Mark

Cambridge had a small number over the years, at Chesterton Junction PW depot. I had some transfers made up by Railtec specifically for mine. Also had the following one done:-

On a slightly different tack, I've often thought that a twin pack of a CJ Sentinel, with a Bachmann 03 numbered 91 or 92 (CJ again) might be an option.

Stewart

edit: just noticed something missing there! The other one I had done by Railtec was for the Baccy 03 shunter, done as a departmental No.92 for CJ PW depot.

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 2

A 3rd run sounds interesting. I would certainly be interested in a shabby Isebrook

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/8442695236

I'm interested to see what other liveries you do, as I've noticed the only one that appears not to have sold well is the fictional one.

Thanks Owen

I don't think we've many of the fictional one left, either. There are problems - or at least question marks - over doing Isebrook in the shabby green. Firstly, it has a number of modifications not covered by our tooling, notably the curved tank/bunker top. Secondly, I believe that by the time it looked like that, it had become a guard's van, with its boiler and mechanical parts removed. So, doing it as a working loco in that condition might be something of a compromise, albeit an attractive compromise. (CJL)

Guest Q663368

Is it possible to get spares for the Sentinel? I just noticed the gear muffs on one of mine have developed cracks and I'd like to replace them.

Cheers,

David

Dave,

PM sent.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes, in Model Railway News late 50's early 60's.

Ah - I should have said this, but I am thinking more about the adaptation of the MR/Dapol model? That is to say, was there a write-up in one of the railway modelling titles?

Thanks for the info on Model Railway News.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah - I should have said this, but I am thinking more about the adaptation of the MR/Dapol model? That is to say, was there a write-up in one of the railway modelling titles?

Thanks for the info on Model Railway News.

- Richard.

Having seen pictures of the real thing scratch building would be the best idea as it was very different from the 'standard' locomotive. About twice as long with an increased wheelbase and just a canopy over the cab and boiler.

• RMweb Premium

Having seen pictures of the real thing scratch building would be the best idea as it was very different from the 'standard' locomotive. About twice as long with an increased wheelbase and just a canopy over the cab and boiler.

I model British H0, and I have a hankering to modify my own MR/Dapol model to make it into feel at home on my layout as a hypothetical [freelance] 'Super Sentinel'. I think Brian's model (powder blue paint, crane on the top) represents a "might have been" and I wondered if there is a write-up of the conversion somewhere in the model railway press because I can find only photos of the finished model online. A friend has told me he thinks there was an article, but he cannot remember the title of the magazine (MR, BRM, whatever).

Still - there is plenty of inspiration in the photos here and in the drawing of the real crane tank to try a similar but different conversion.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

My Sentinel has been modified too. I'm hoping to have it finished before the weekend as I'm exhibiting my layout at the Chapel-en-le-Frith show on Saturday and Sunday.

I'm also after a spare body for another variation, but told there are no spares.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just about finished my modified Sentinel, here it is. It's now grown to be a 0-16.5 loco. Nameplates are on order but I don't expect to have them in time for the Chapel exhibition.

post-19248-0-97391900-1487715004.jpg

post-19248-0-31631900-1487714988.jpg

The body is interchangeable with the original, but I'm still after another spare body as I have another idea to try out!

• Like 1

Martin,

you might find this useful; http://sentinel7109.blogspot.ca/2011/07/lner-y3.html

Cheers,

David

Thanks David,

I have looked at all of the easily availble Sentinel sources and the history of Coles cranes but there seems to be no other information - hence my request on this forum for further information,

regards,

martin

• 1 month later...

Can somebody help me out with my Sentinel please?  I got it secondhand and the poor thing has pickup problems, in the sense that with freshly-cleaned wheels on freshly-cleaned track it won't run reliably.  I'm assuming that the problem is grot of some sort in the "axle boxes", but how on earth do I get at them to see what's what?

And come to that, how does one remove the body?

Can somebody help me out with my Sentinel please?  I got it secondhand and the poor thing has pickup problems, in the sense that with freshly-cleaned wheels on freshly-cleaned track it won't run reliably.  I'm assuming that the problem is grot of some sort in the "axle boxes", but how on earth do I get at them to see what's what?

The body at any rate is easy. A firm pull takes it off.

Can somebody help me out with my Sentinel please? I got it secondhand and the poor thing has pickup problems, in the sense that with freshly-cleaned wheels on freshly-cleaned track it won't run reliably. I'm assuming that the problem is grot of some sort in the "axle boxes", but how on earth do I get at them to see what's what?

Pinch with the fingers at the ends and pull

Thank you, gentlemen.  That explains why I couldn't see any evidence of screws or moulded clips ... :rolleyes:

Anyhow, that was just curiosity.  It's getting at the wheel bearings that's the major problem.

Edited by spikey

it needs a lubrication that allows electricity to flow.

Such as?

Anyhow, I realise that the bearings act as the pickups.  My erratic running is down to a problem with those bearings, which I cannot sort out because I do know know how to gain access to them.  This is what I am asking for help with.

Such as?

Anyhow, I realise that the bearings act as the pickups.  My erratic running is down to a problem with those bearings, which I cannot sort out because I do know know how to gain access to them.  This is what I am asking for help with.

You might try a product that was known as Electrolube very sparingly on the bearings. That should clean and lube them at the same time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/351732988021?chn=ps&adgroupid=40208487538&rlsatarget=pla-470339076872&abcId=923846&adtype=pla&merchantid=7390734&poi=&googleloc=9045774&device=c&campaignid=738085096&crdt=0

Other outlets are available 

Edited by mikesndbs

Gosh, I'd forgotten about that stuff!  Thanks for reminding me

Just go careful, if it gets where you don't want it LOL hard to get rid of.

Using on those bearings I think you will be OK.

Put a drop on each, run the loco, swab the bearings with tissue to remove displaced muck and then re-apply a small drop to each.

Let us know how you get on