Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

• RMweb Premium

And how much will it pull?

Given that the Dapol tungsten chassis'd N Gauge Terrier will handle four or five Mk1s on the flat, the Farish 04 double that, I'd be suprised if the Sentinel couldn't manage something similar (although the lack of wheels might not help matters if your track laying isn't very good).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

"What will it pull?" Well given that the real one on the Middleton can struggle with two coaches (converted BR PMVs) on wet rail up to the Park (which is admittedly 1 in 49 at its steepest point) then not much more than that really. These were designed as light yard shunters, not to take 30 HAAs over Ais Gill!! I'm sure it will be a great model of a widespread prototype - looking forward to it!

One at Lay's Sidings could pull 10 10ton empty wagons and 4 10ton full wagons, so it should be not too hard for the model to do the same.

Somerset and Dorset sentinel link....

There you go rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

The S&D Sentinels were somewhat different in shape from our model, but remember, it's YOUR layout, if you want to run a Sentinel, you don't need to make an excuse to do so!

CHRIS LEIGH

S&D is the Stockton and Darlington, which did have preserved 'No. 54' at one point during its career!!

But aside from tounge in cheek comments about which line was around first, I have no doubt the magazine is inundated with requests about gauge, colours liveries, clearences, price, timescales and what features the model has. Keep up the good work!

Will this be a subscriber (to Model Rail) only offer ?

No, absolutely not. This is a commercial enterprise and we want to sell as many as possible. We need to reach a certain figure just to recoup the tooling costs, so no restrictions, and if anyone wants a commercial deal for a batch in a particular livery as limited editions, we'll consider that, too.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

Will this be a subscriber (to Model Rail) only offer ?

No, absolutely not. This is a commercial enterprise and we want to sell as many as possible. We need to reach a certain figure just to recoup the tooling costs, so no restrictions, and if anyone wants a commercial deal for a batch in a particular livery as limited editions, we'll consider that, too.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks Chris,

That's great news.

Well I would like one with chips. :)

I'm just wondering how to add the ventilation panels for a Y3...

Chris

(Black Hat)

• RMweb Gold

I'd be hugely surprised if it didn't also venture over the Mendips

Yes, so would I (be hugely surprised if they didn't that is!! ;)

biff wagons about for midlands brewers

Some of us are working on a certain individual to achieve that aim!! ;) :O

shuffle secretively around all manner of improbable MOD depots

I couldn't possibly comment... :P

I agree that this is a fantastic choice for a small loco, and an ideal cross-over prototype between industry and 'main line' companies. Hopefully it will inspire more light railway and other similar type layouts too!

• RMweb Gold
Will there be enough clearance for us P4 modellers?

How about a body in primer grey, so we can spray our own colours?

Also how about the upper body with all the pieces seperate, not assembled?

23.5mm clear between axleboxes will be adequate for EM/P4 purposes. 2mm axles please. 20 smph max

My guess is that the enterprising P4 modeller will find a way to convert it satisfactorily to P4, even if the clearances end up having to be a bit tight, due to manufacturing reasons. As Miss P says, the 23.5 distance ought to be easily achievable.

Looking at the proposed specification. Please BIG NO to the belt drive. I have had problems with this sort of drive before where the belt expands and unless some way is provided to reset the tension then all "go" is lost. A proper geared chassis with drive to all wheels please.

Though I've yet to email my suggestion/want to the magazine, how about considering a departmental Eastern region loco based at Chesterton Junction PW depot? It could be followed up with its replacement, the 03 diesel 91 or 92, as a limited edition Bachmann model, which would fit in well wuth the mag's policy on doing engineering items. I know the 03's were lettered for Chesterton Junction, but not sure if the Sentinels were, still trying to trace a picture of one.

Though I've yet to email my suggestion/want to the magazine, how about considering a departmental Eastern region loco based at Chesterton Junction PW depot? It could be followed up with its replacement, the 03 diesel 91 or 92, as a limited edition Bachmann model, which would fit in well wuth the mag's policy on doing engineering items. I know the 03's were lettered for Chesterton Junction, but not sure if the Sentinels were, still trying to trace a picture of one.

Do you know if the one at Chesterton Junction PW depot was still caring its mainline smokebox number as well as the departmental number as some did.

Belt drive is being considered purely from the aesthetic viewpoint as it would look good driven in a similar way to the real thing. Chains that small would be impractical. I can't now remember which CAD views were used in the magazine, but if there's an underside view, it may well show the first idea for belt drive. This had one axle driven off each end of the motor and would have resulted in the axles rotating in opposite directions. That's what model development is all about! Belt drive is one aspect which is being considered. If it doesn't work, it won't be used.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 2

Do we actually need to email suggestions to MR, or will comments made here be taken into account as well?

(My vote is for early BR or wartime black, although I have a feeling that I'll be getting one no matter what colours and letters it has on it!)

Mark

E-mails about the Sentinel are on a special Project Sentinel mailbox and go direct to Ben.

If you post them on here, I'll have to take the details and pass them on to Ben as he doesn't read rmweb very often. I'd prefer it if you e-mail him direct and save me a job.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Pleased about this little project. One of these was based at Kelso for some years as yard pilot and was still there up to 1958 as far as I know.

R.B. Tennant at Whifflet, Airdrie, operated a pair in their works until about 1980!

Dave.

Pleased about this little project. One of these was based at Kelso for some years as yard pilot and was still there up to 1958 as far as I know.

R.B. Tennant at Whifflet, Airdrie, operated a pair in their works until about 1980!

Dave.

Different type of Sentinel at Whifflets,

http://www.srpssteam.com/locos/Sentinels.htm

Arthur

I'd be looking for one of the Hull based Sentinels post war.

Yeadon has some useful photos of various members of classes Y1 and Y3.

It was surprising (to me) just how much variation in livery there was.

Any chance of an un-numbered issue in basic black ?

Possibly with a set of transfers to number your own...

Chris

Black Hat

We've considered the unfinished black version a number of times but we feel that it effectively scuppers most of the potential follow-on liveries. Once people have lettered a plain black one, what incentive is there to buy a fully-finished one? Also, the plain unfinished one would need to sell at the same price as a fully finished example. The costs of producing it would be exactly the same but buyers would expect an unfinished one to be cheaper.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

Once people have lettered a plain black one, what incentive is there to buy a fully-finished one?

Not a lot. But you make a sale, so who's complaining?

Also, the plain unfinished one would need to sell at the same price as a fully finished example.

Err, so you and your manufacturer could actually make more profit!! But again, who exactly is complaining at such a prospect?

The costs of producing it would be exactly the same but buyers would expect an unfinished one to be cheaper.

The costs of producing it would not be the same. Whether buyers expect the price to be cheaper is neither here nor there, really; if they want it, they will buy it. Look at what the American market has been doing for the last 20 years.

All you are admitting is that UK manufacturers still cannot get their tiny brains around the market for undecorated models. And whilst we're on the subject, didn't I read a magazine editorial a few years back extolling the virtues of the availability of undecorated models? I wonder what magazine that was.

• Like 1