Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

...but why repaint a black loco black. or am I missing something? Just quick removal of numbers surely, without affecting paint? Plenty of topics on RMWeb about how simple that is.

I'm personally thinking either of something freelance or one of the actual (it appears) non-black examples. That said, I like to have a spare body "just in case" on the occasions I've renumbered, unless it's a really cheap model. If the chassis is above par I'll probably have a BR one and an industrial (and if it's that good a chassis bodies will come up on eBay).

...but why repaint a black loco black. or am I missing something? Just quick removal of numbers surely, without affecting paint? Plenty of topics on RMWeb about how simple that is.

.. because removing numbers without affecting paint is deemed to be a skilled task in some quarters :D !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 2 weeks later...

? Interesting that Decembers Model Rail (138) announces 'Another New Sentinel'. ? CSP Model Engineering is to produce an etched kit in 4mm of one of the 200hp Sentinels as used by the LMS and BR at Radstock on the S&D. Expected early next year, RRP ? ??110.00. ? The announcement is accompanied by one of those multi coloured, three dimensional, CAD drawings.

Walsworth House Models are to market a 7mm version.

Prototype photo at: ?  ?  ?  http://en.wikipedia....S&DJR_Sentinels

Arthur

• 2 weeks later...

There's a kit for the S&D Sentinels on its way from Agenoria, I'm told.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Kit may orignally be Imputus, my friend has what was mine...as I have a P4 100 HP industrial (post war) one...about 2/3rds built. After 12 years. (hmm, should get on with it, I guess...)

James Powell

Son of 7529's original preservation owner...

Kit may orignally be Imputus, my friend has what was mine...as I have a P4 100 HP industrial (post war) one...about 2/3rds built. After 12 years. (hmm, should get on with it, I guess...)

James Powell

Son of 7529's original preservation owner...

Nope, all the Impetus kits are in the hands of Kalgarin, and certainly these weren't produced on a modern CAD system. Having spoken to Roger Slade (the designer), about this, I'm absolutely confident that it's a new kit.

Adam

• 3 months later...

Attached are the latest CAD images of the ‘OO’ gauge Sentinel locomotive being designed and produced for Model Rail magazine by Dapol. As you can see, the model now has a mechanism designed in. To make the Sentinel as closely matched as possible to your requirements, we’d like to know what you think of it as it stands. The mechanism has been designed to be as unobtrusive as possible without compromising running quality or robustness.

Dapol has now confirmed that the model will be available with at least three body variants – with four, two or no cab ventilation grilles. We are also currently investigating the options for chimneys and tank fillers.

No delivery date or price has yet been confirmed, but we will update you again as soon as this vital information is available.

Just to confirm; the Sentinel will have an eight-pin DCC decoder socket inside the body, along with a low profile Dapol ‘super creep’ motor. The latter will allow realistic open space inside the body.

Kind Regards from all the Model Rail team.

post-1062-126934196813_thumb.jpg

post-1062-12693420144_thumb.jpg

post-1062-126934204647_thumb.jpg

post-1062-126934208542_thumb.jpg

I'm no expert on these things, but it looks good.

I think I'm correct in believing later deliveries collected more and more grills in order to keep the crew cool - hence the lack of grills on the sides would make this one of the earlier locos. However no doubt one of the usual suspects in the etched bits sector will come up with suitable extra grills for those needing a later loco

Shouldn't the top of the door be open - ie the door stops at the line of rivets halfway up the side?

See here:

Sentinels - LNER encyclopedia

I like the 'daylight' under the chassis, the mech looks to be pretty un-obtrusive, which I feel is an important part of the look of the loco.

Would it be possible to have slightly over-length axles, so conversion to EM would only involve pulling the wheels out to gauge and not removing the axles from the mech? Just a thought...

I've already started saving up for his one.

I'm no expert on these things, but it looks good.

I think I'm correct in believing later deliveries collected more and more grills in order to keep the crew cool - hence the lack of grills on the sides would make this one of the earlier locos. However no doubt one of the usual suspects in the etched bits sector will come up with suitable extra grills for those needing a later loco

Shouldn't the top of the door be open - ie the door stops at the line of rivets halfway up the side?

See here:

Sentinels - LNER encyclopedia

I noticed the door issue too and contacted Ben Jones at Model Rail. This was his response. Quote:

The solid top half of the doors is only due to an issue with the screen rendering of the CAD images. Having seen the whole 3-D artwork, I can confirm that they will be as per the original, and not solid. Perhaps if you’re in touch with the forum, you can pass on my comments? Ben.

I think that answers that query! Looking forward to seeing at least one of these little chaps on my layout!

However no doubt one of the usual suspects in the etched bits sector will come up with suitable extra grills for those needing a later loco (quote)

Dapol has now confirmed that the model will be available with at least three body variants – with four, two or no cab ventilation grilles. We are also currently investigating the options for chimneys and tank fillers. (quote from MR post)

The Sentinel looks the business in the CAD illustrations.

I echo the comments re open top half of cab doors.

Is there any room for a representation of the vertical boiler in the cab given the number of windows?

Gordon

Bristol

Looks very nice to me. I wondered to about any interior, but with the space etc inside im quite happy without it. Defiantly going to get one of these and number it up as the one we have at Middleton. Hopefully we may see work start on ours in the future and a return to traffic.

• RMweb Gold

Would it be possible to have slightly over-length axles, so conversion to EM would only involve pulling the wheels out to gauge and not removing the axles from the mech?

Yes, it would be nice to have the option to convert to P4 as well, if possible! :)

• 2 months later...

Latest (final) CADs herewith. Cutting of metal is about to start....

Sentinel Specification

Tooling designed to allow GWR, LNER, LMS, BR, industrial and Irish variants

Etched steel ventilation grilles (0, 2 or 4 grilles as appropriate)

Dapol ‘Super Creep’ motor with low gearing for slow speed operation and maximum haulage power

Alternative chimney, whistle, injector and vacuum brake pipe components appropriate to prototypes

All-wheel pick-up and drive

8-pin DCC decoder socket in cab

‘Friction free’ mechanism with electrical pick-up via pin-point axles

Tungsten alloy chassis

Detachable couplings in NEM pockets

Separate handrails and lamp brackets

Sprung metal buffers

post-1062-127592361686_thumb.jpg

post-1062-127592364135_thumb.jpg

post-1062-127592366171_thumb.jpg

post-1062-127592369307_thumb.jpg

post-1062-127592371291_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Chris,

This looks very good.

My only questions are:

a) What diameter axles are going to be used? (Hopefully 2mm so that it can be rewheeled for P4 and EM.

B) Does any of the axles have any movement built in to improve pickup?

Gordon

The GWR numberplate is not likely to be moulded in, otherwise it would have to appear on all the models. It will either be printed or a separate etched plate, or possibly both.

We don't have any info about axle sizes or mechanical details as yet - We await the first engineering sample for that.

CHRIS LEIGH

• 3 months later...
Guest Max Stafford

Chris. Pardon my obvious thickness here, but are the locos available for pre-order yet? I haven't been keeping in close touch with the thread.

Dave.

No problem. The Sentinel isn't available for pre-order yet. We want to carry out extensive testing of the mechanism before we press the green button for delivery. Only once we've tested - and made any alterations - will the manufacturer be able to give us a price. Once we've got a price we'll be able to take orders, but expect it to be a while yet.

CHRIS LEIGH

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks Chris. I'm happy for them to take all the time they need to get it spot on - I don't plan on going anywhere inbetweentimes! :)

One of these used to work the yard at Kelso so that's all the justification I need!

Dave.

No problem. The Sentinel isn't available for pre-order yet. We want to carry out extensive testing of the mechanism before we press the green button for delivery. Only once we've tested - and made any alterations - will the manufacturer be able to give us a price. Once we've got a price we'll be able to take orders, but expect it to be a while yet.

CHRIS LEIGH

Gives me more time to save up then!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

The photos of the engineering prototype that are in the latest issue of Model Rail really do look impressive, with some fine details such as the open chimney cover. I was at Model Rail Live and enjoyed the bumpy brakevan ride behind the "real" Sentinel.

I look forward to further details (and pricing!) in MR150, and to adding one to my layout in due course.

Best wishes,

David