Underground Armaments store

Ian Holmes

Clearing out in the model railway room last night I came across the layout outlined in this page on my website

http://iholmes.com/pages/journal/planning_03.html

There was a time when I was really, really fired up about this concept but like many other ideas of mine it faded away for a while. In this instance it was after a few problems with making the cable incline.

It's been a good couple of years since I've done anything with it. But the baseboard is built, the track is laid and wired. The structures are built and still intact and most of the inlays for the floor are done. In fact the only thing I really have to do is build some rolling stock and sort out that incline. I still think the idea is a good one. Perhaps now is the time to finish it. After this current round of exhibitions I'll be retiring the T scale and HO scale layouts, so I'll be looking for a new topic. The next show after that I have lined up is Easter 2011 so I could have it finished by then no problem...:rolleyes:

Ian

To get you up to speed on where I had got to on this layout before the enthusiasm died here are a few pictures of what I had

post-7117-004289700 1287872396_thumb.jpg

Above: an overall view of the layout

post-7117-011403800 1287872415_thumb.jpg

A close up showing some of the stock I'd attempted

post-7117-041549500 1287872431_thumb.jpg

The right hand corner where the trains will squeal around a 6" radius curve before disappearing through opening blast doors

post-7117-056872600 1287872450_thumb.jpg

The other corridor exit to the right probably through blast doors again.

To get you up to speed on where I had got to on this layout before the enthusiasm died here are a few pictures of what I had

post-7117-004289700 1287872396_thumb.jpg

Above: an overall view of the layout

post-7117-011403800 1287872415_thumb.jpg

A close up showing some of the stock I'd attempted

post-7117-041549500 1287872431_thumb.jpg

The right hand corner where the trains will squeal around a 6" radius curve before disappearing through opening blast doors

post-7117-056872600 1287872450_thumb.jpg

The other corridor exit to the right probably through blast doors again.

Wasn't this layout on rmweb 2 or 3? I remember seeing it a couple of years back.

Hi Ian-If you are looking for further inspiration,might I recommend R.N.A.D TRECWN out here in West Wales-all gone now but there are plenty of pix about & a lot of the stock still exists-top loader vans are (or were) to be seen on the W.H.H.R and the Teifi Valley Rly amongst others.

ATB

Nick

Ah Trecwn. That's another of the Subrit website pages that used to get a lot of visits from me. In fact I just had to go and have another look myself...

Ian

Clearing out in the model railway room last night I came across the layout outlined in this page on my website

http://iholmes.com/p...lanning_03.html

There was a time when I was really, really fired up about this concept but like many other ideas of mine it faded away for a while. In this instance it was after a few problems with making the cable incline.

It's been a good couple of years since I've done anything with it. But the baseboard is built, the track is laid and wired. The structures are built and still intact and most of the inlays for the floor are done. In fact the only thing I really have to do is build some rolling stock and sort out that incline. I still think the idea is a good one. Perhaps now is the time to finish it. After this current round of exhibitions I'll be retiring the T scale and HO scale layouts, so I'll be looking for a new topic. The next show after that I have lined up is Easter 2011 so I could have it finished by then no problem...:rolleyes:

Ian

I think you've gone too far with what is potentially an interesting and unusual layout to not not continue it. I have thought about the idea more than once myself, but I have too many other higher priorities

Stu

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Unsatisfied with the painted styrene I originally wanted to use for the flooring I'm currently working on filling the floor area with my favourite filler material - light weight spackle.

This might well be a long and dusty job...

Ian

I have just treated myself to one of these kits which arrived very quickly from the Australian supplier. The incline will form the end of the small narrow gauge line I am currently building in 0.16.5. which is based on the idea of a line now used for a small amount of tourist traffic somewhere on the welsh/english border but whose original and still current main purpose is to move quarried stone from the hills to customers in England .

I am currently trying to design the baseboard and slope for the incline and trying to see how steep I can make it.

HERES AN IDEA ,

A VIDEDO OF THE KATOOMBA SCENIC RAILROAD WHICH GOES 52 DEGREES ACORDING TO THE VID BY THE FILM MAKER :lol: .PROBLY THE CLOSEST WOULD BE FORTY FIVE DEGREES TO OPERATE PROPERLY AND LESS HEAD ACHE FOR YOU WHEEL TAPPER

• RMweb Premium

The steepest passenger carrying cliff railway was the second 'Falcon' cliff lift in the Isle of Man. It had an incline of 1/1.15 which I think is about 70 to 80 degrees though trying to convert it to 'new money' makes my brain hurt.blink.gif

Archived