BTH petrol railcar

In 1912 the GWR had a petrol railcar built by British Thompson Houston. I've seen the photos and data from a couple of books but all I've gleaned re measurements is that it was 33' 3" long overall. Apparently it is recorded as Diagram 'U' but I haven't seen that anywhere. I can happily deperspectify the photos I have but can anyone help with actual dimensions?

Brian

The British Thomson-Houston Co designed petrol electric railcar was obtained by GW in 1911. It was numbered railcar 100.

It had 4 wheels. It was driven by two electric motors on an axle which were powered by a dynamo driven by a 40hp Maudsley petrol engine. The maximum speed was 35mph (quite high for its time) and could run 250 miles on one tank of petrol, far exceeding the comparable steam railmotors of the time.

The total weight was 14t 9cwt.

The length was 33ft 3in.

The seating capacity was 44 (designed) 46 (built)

It worked its GWR life allocated to the Windsor branch but was withdrawn in Oct 1919 and sold to Lever Bros (Port Sunlight) where it continued in private use until 1923. The chassis was dismantled the following year and disposed of. The body was sold to a member of staff at Lever Bros and was transferred to Gronan Beach near Prestatyn where it was used as a "summer house" until the mid 1950's.

The vehicle was indeed later recorded as Dia "U" Though this was later re-used for Diesel Railmotor No 1

To go down in history as another one of GWR's experimental one-offs and was really ahead of its time.

The reason given for its "failure" was overheating of the detachable valve seatings.

There is a photo in RCTS "The Locomotives of the GWR Vol 11 opposite pg L13 and the majority of the above comes from the same source.

Sadly, in answer to your question I can find no reference to the width of the body. Though I suspect the original drawings are maintained somewhere.

Oh, and before I forget - Welcome to RMWeb.

• 4 months later...

From John Lewis' book 'Great Western Steam Railmotors and Their Services' pp197 - 202. Dimensions given are:

33' 3" long (maximum) [this is over the mouldings on the centre line where the ends bow out], 9' 03/4" wide (over mouldings), 11' 53/4" from rail to roof top and 13' 51/4" from rail to radiator cap.

Wheelbase 19', wheels 3' 6" [discs]

(Italics are my words)

Sorry for the delay. I haven't looked at the forum for a long time (!) and I have only just picked up the thread.

David

• 2 years later...

Was digging for similar stuff and also came across this

http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/29th-february-1912/13/a-new-gwr-petrol-electric-railcar#

unfortunately the images the text references are missing in this case but if anyone can track down a copy would appear to include exterior and interior shots. It also implies there may well be a "The Railway News" article about the same time.

• RMweb Premium

There is a photo of the railcar on page 187 of the book Windsor to Slough, A Royal Branch Line. The book is by C.R. Potts and published by Oakwood Press. My copy is dated 1993. ISBN 0 85361 442 3.

But of course, no dimensions and the same info as you have above! ....so I'm just duplicating.

Nice little book though, if you're interested in the Windsor branch.

There is also what appears to be a works photo which has a nice clean front view but shows the same side/front as the Windsor book.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-PHOTOGRAPH-OF-GREAT-WESTERN-RLY-PETROL-ELECTRIC-RAILCAR-GWR-No-100-/140945054981?nma=true&si=isC6Lk5rI3gxkJdpuB05Zct%252Bb7k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• 1 month later...

The body was sold to a member of staff at Lever Bros and was transferred to Gronan Beach near Prestatyn where it was used as a "summer house" until the mid 1950's.

The body still existed in the 1980's. I recall Tony Hammond intending to produce body etches and checking interest levels at shows. He had already measured it up as it was located not far from where he lived. Although it appeared in a later list he sadly packed in the modelling before any etches appeared.

Mike Wiltshire

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived