The Hereford Model Centre

GaryHN

• RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2019 at 15:38, Lissadell said:

Where is the cellar access point - as I say, I’ve visited before so can visualise the internal layout.

Intrigued to hear Mallard!

The cellar appears to have gone virtual - gradually more and more stock (often just one of each item) is appearing on the web site - and a lot of it at prices that now look extremely good.

I have succumbed on several occasions (too many!), and each time what I've ordered has arrived within a couple of days, nicely packed in re-used boxes cut to just the right size and securely taped up - none of the standard sized box full of packing materials you get from the larger outfits. I even got a little test certificate with a locomotive.

They don't go in for the sequence of emails you usually get these days saying it's been picked and packed, then sent with a tracking number. It just turns up on the doorstep - quite refreshing actually.

I can't fault the service, and I hope this is all enough to keep them going.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to those posting on the bargain thread I picked up a Bachmann 03 in green for a very good price, and today my order was delivered in excellent time and well packaged for transit by HMC, as requested (to minimise damage on its journey across the Irish Sea).

So another thumbs up from me for the folks at HMC.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A belated shout out to Hereford Models - tempted by their basement clearout I ordered a couple of obsolete items along with the newly-reissued 'Bow Fell' Hornby class 60 with corrected bodyside logos. Unfortunately the bodyshell was cracked on the one I received, so I returned it requesting a replacement if possible. 

Hereford Models had to order another in from Hornby but kept me informed of progress, were careful to ensure that the replacement had the revised logos, tested it and generally treated me as a valued customer - worth a mention in despatches in this thread!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Popped by the shop and was amazed at the place, loads of stock at good prices. Friendly staff, some of the shop is a bit dark to the point I needed my phone torch to see in the O gauge cupboard!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 37114 said:

Popped by the shop and was amazed at the place, loads of stock at good prices. Friendly staff, some of the shop is a bit dark to the point I needed my phone torch to see in the O gauge cupboard!

It is a great model shop, and their web page does not contain all the stock they hold.  Always worth giving them a call if you are looking for a particular item (may well be in the famous cellar).  Prices are always competitive as well.        

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 months later...

As some of you may have noticed we are currently having difficulty with our emails. Our website and ordering system is working fine but we cannot respond to any inquiries currently, we hope to have it up and running again shortly but for the time being if you need any help please give us a ring 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

It's a shame about the problems with emails. OK, I suspect that many shops have had similar issues at various times - but I hope that keeping us in the loop about this stuff will help put some people's minds at rest.

Changing the subject slightly, when I visited the shop recently (to get some essential project supplies, ahead of an anticipated local lockdown), the people at HMC were every bit as helpful as they've always been.

Many thanks, guys.

(Just for the record, I'm really looking forward to that DMU build - which I know would not be possible without  the assistance I've had from the HMC team in sourcing certain key items.

However, I don't want to bore everyone with details about this at the moment - if / when I get to a point where there's something worth writing up, I suspect that some people might get to read about it.)

Regards,

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well I succumbed to another of Hereford's been-on-a-shelf-a-while good deals. 

As usual it turned up very quickly, in recycled packaging just the right size. And with a test certificate.

I know there are reasons that the bigger names usually use oversized boxes full of packing materials, but I much prefer it this way.

I've never visited them, but it's not a milliion miles from where I live and I'd quite like to..when I'm allowed to travel again...

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I came across this trader, by chance, last month and have subsequently placed a number of orders.  The service was excellent, and the prices competitive.  Enquiries by telephone and email were also dealt with well.  Having spoken with one of their staff this week they seemed to be remaining effective and calm in the build up to the current lockdown.  They are certainly worth looking into as a supplier.

I have no connection with this company other than as a satisfied customer.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/10/2020 at 08:49, Coryton said:

I've never visited them, but it's not a milliion miles from where I live and I'd quite like to..when I'm allowed to travel again...

Although it won't be today or tomorrow, I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience.

2 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Same here - welcome to a large (and growing) club.

Over the years, I've consistently found Hereford Model Centre to be a quality outfit - and one of a select number of suppliers I actively choose to buy from. I know I'll always get a warm welcome - and I know I'll always be treated right.

Huw.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi everyone,

I came across this trader, by chance, last month and have subsequently placed a number of orders.  The service was excellent, and the prices competitive.  Enquiries by telephone and email were also dealt with well.  Having spoken with one of their staff this week they seemed to be remaining effective and calm in the build up to the current lockdown.  They are certainly worth looking into as a supplier.

Regards,

Alex.

I am a regular visitor to their shop and totally agree with these comments.   No connection other than a satisfied customer.  Always worth calling them because not all their stock appears on their website, plus they have a growing collection of second hand stock.  My favourite moments are when a no longer produced item appears in the shop.  These are not always second hand items more likely to have been discovered in the famous cellar.   They also have a huge range of military kits, model aircraft etc - if that is your thing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Visited for first time recently.

very nice people and well stocked - the layout of the shop is a bit chaotic with a bit here and a bit there , that would be my only criticism but a minor one at that 

I suspect that it would be fair to say that the layout of a lot of hobby shops can come across as slightly chaotic - although, in part, I suspect that this might come down to enormous variation in shape and size of the stuff they stock.

What matters to me is what they stock - how easy it is to find what they stock (or to get the people working there to help you find it) - how helpful the people working there are - and generally what they're like to deal with.

They seem to score well on all of these points - with the result that I always look forward to any chance to visit their shop.

Huw.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The shelves at Hereford Model Centre have always been a little chaotic - I was a regular 15 years ago before relocating to West Yorkshire and remember the shelves were stacked floor to ceiling. Being allowed into the cellar was like entering an Aladding's Cave. I often wondered how Cheltenham Model Centre's first floor store room compared.

Steven B.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steven B said:

The shelves at Hereford Model Centre have always been a little chaotic - I was a regular 15 years ago before relocating to West Yorkshire and remember the shelves were stacked floor to ceiling. Being allowed into the cellar was like entering an Aladding's Cave. I often wondered how Cheltenham Model Centre's first floor store room compared.

Steven B.

Yes shelves still a bit chaotic, and occasionally there is a slight re-organisation so things move to a different location in the shop.  Always worth looking up to the ceiling because there are numerous items stocked above eye level.  The Cellar is not open to the public,  I have been down there, it is an Aladdin's Cave and you need a guide to find your way out.  Cheltenham Model centre is another of my favourite model shops.  Long may both continue, along with Lord & Butler and Lendons in Cardiff.        

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I didn’t either and I’ve been in several times!

The door at the back seems to be to more shelves etc but is marked “staff only” I think.

Where is the cellar access point - as I say, I’ve visited before so can visualise the internal layout.

regards

Adrian

Oh the cellar, I remeber going down there over 14 years ago and ended up with a handful of minitrix warships.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Now use the net and have got a couple of things since we moved but not the same as popping in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just received a Hornby B12 from Hereford Model Centre and very pleased on several counts. Very quick service with just £4.00 carriage on Royal Mail tracked service, but upon opening the loco I was very happy to see inside a signed test certificate to say the loco had been tested and the detail pack was checked as included.

A nice touch that others could follow......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That's something they've been doing for at least 18 years - I ordered a Hornby 14xx and Bachmann '8750' pannier from Hereford Model Centre on 23rd May 2003 - the certificates mean I can be specific about the date (and that they were tested by W.M.Lewis!)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Called in recently for the first time. I was visiting the city with my fiance' and had parked nearby only to encounter the shop along the road quite by chance (oh yeah!:lol:).  

Extremely impressed with the stock of various paint brands and metal sections, I came away with a sizable haul. Friendly, helpful staff and great customer service. Only 30 miles from home so visits to enjoy the splendors of Hereford will be more frequent in future.  Well worth the visit. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I didn’t either and I’ve been in several times!

The door at the back seems to be to more shelves etc but is marked “staff only” I think.

regards

Adrian

Apologies for very late response. It isn't public. I was taken down there to find Lima Milk Tankers. The chap knew exactly where they were; there was a box full!!

P

• RMweb Premium

Just a shout for something they did for me quite few years back. They were at the Donny Show and there were some great new and pre used Hornby SR Pacifics on the stand. I was seriously tempted at the time but there being about 15 I decided I'd wait as I don't think I had any track down at that time.

Anyway, the next week I phoned and asked if they had sold them; nope, not all! Could they please tell me what was in the box? Yup, list of the 12 remaining arrived by email a day later. I was weak melud and a very good deal was arranged including postage. Every one of those engines was in top nick.

That's service for you.

Glad others have seen the Cellar. Long may that shop survive.

P

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• 2 months later...

Good Morning everyone 

just a heads up for later this week. 

We will not be able to dispatch any orders on the 9th and 10th of September due to staff holidays normal service should resume on Monday the 13th Sept 

Kindest Regards

Hereford Model Centre

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2