Rail-mounted cranes.

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

on the jubject of cranes as any one got any decent shots of the inside of the cab and its controls on the a Twin Jib? Im building part kit part scratch built in 7mm, just need some decent shots for this area

I'm afraid I've no photos of the inside of a twin jib, will a Cowans Sheldon 12t General Purpose Crane do?

post-7024-003309600 1288814875_thumb.jpg

The latest Cowans and Plasser twin jibs had the same Ekco safe load indicators fitted, but the duties on the twin jibs were much simpler. 6 tons on one jib on any cant, 12t on both jibs up to 50mm cant, 10.5 tons on 100mm cant upwards (or something like that). Anyway, the upshot is that I seem to remember that they had a load on hook meter for each jib and one SWL indicator and a cant indicator. There are separate controls for the two jibs (I seem to recall there are two joysticks for each jib on one mounting), and the control panels are on both sides of the cab

• RMweb Gold

Sorry about the picture quality, old Ferrinia slide film, taken at Horwich Works about 1973.Cowans Sheldon RS 1094 '75post-6977-024523300 1288634815_thumb.jpgpost-6977-044166300 1288634851_thumb.jpgpost-6977-060949400 1288634889_thumb.jpgTom.

I reckon that crane was on it's way to Derby to get converted to a 76t diesel - the timing seems about right for that because I was on the move to York about that time and saw the last one come out of Derby a little later.

I'm afraid I've no photos of the inside of a twin jib, will a Cowans Sheldon 12t General Purpose Crane do?

post-7024-003309600 1288814875_thumb.jpg

The latest Cowans and Plasser twin jibs had the same Ekco safe load indicators fitted, but the duties on the twin jibs were much simpler. 6 tons on one jib on any cant, 12t on both jibs up to 50mm cant, 10.5 tons on 100mm cant upwards (or something like that). Anyway, the upshot is that I seem to remember that they had a load on hook meter for each jib and one SWL indicator and a cant indicator. There are separate controls for the two jibs (I seem to recall there are two joysticks for each jib on one mounting), and the control panels are on both sides of the cab

Hi Phil, this is great, just wanted to ask is this the only picture you have got, have you any others at all Garry

Hi everyone,

on the jubject of cranes as any one got any decent shots of the inside of the cab and its controls on the a Twin Jib? Im building part kit part scratch built in 7mm, just need some decent shots for this area

Gazza,

I have got loads of cab interior pics I could share (if you mean the Plasser TJC). Best to PM me and I will sort them out.

Cheers.

Hornby used to do a model of one like the little yellow one and there's a pic of one in marsden's 'rolling stock recognition 3 : departmental stock' (which i can't find at the mo' to check the info)

Hi all

They still do' date=' it is reference R6004 current RRP £23.99.

Regards

Paul

The Triang Cowans Sheldon handcrane was actually quite good, and with a little bit of effort can be made quite presentable.

post-336-023392200 1289127574_thumb.jpg

difference.jpg

http://www.metropolitanrailway.co.uk/Cowans_sheldon_handcranes.html

Jon

• Like 4

The Triang Cowans Sheldon handcrane was actually quite good, and with a little bit of effort can be made quite presentable.

post-336-023392200 1289127574_thumb.jpg

http://www.metropolitanrailway.co.uk/Cowans_sheldon_handcranes.html

Jon

Jon

Plenty of prototype inspiration here

Cowan Sheldon 6 1/2 and 10 ton hand cranes on BR - 28 photographs

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=88721

At £24 Hornby are certainly trying to wring some profit out of this very elderly model! But I agree, a useful basis for a model.

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Heres a few pictures of Avon Valley Railway's 15 ton Cowan Sheldon at work yesterday.

Gordon A

Bristol

From the footpath alongside, that yard appears to have about 6' between the end of the point blades and the buffer stops next to the foot crossing at the Oldland Common end of the yard - is it actually possible to get anything off that nearest track (I'm assuming that it must be somehow)?

• 3 weeks later...

LMS Ransome and Rapier 40T steam crane No. MP3/ADE331159 at the Nene Valley Railway just a few weeks ago.

It had just been outshopped, and it looks very smart in fresh paint, shame it took them so long to do it!

Tom.

I think you're being a little unfair to the very small team of volunteers who look after this crane - it has had *far* more done to it than simply a repaint. In the two years or so it has been in the works, one relieving bogie has been completely rebuilt, all the axleboxes have been refurbished, a multitude of other repairs of varying magnitude have been carried out, plus of course a bare-metal repaint of virtually the whole crane. The work ahs also been carried out to a very high standard, and is a credit to those who have done it.

To keep this in perspective as well, at least the NVR's crane team is actively preserving this crane. It is sobering to realise that in the time that MP3 has been in the works, no fewer than three breakdown cranes of this size or larger have been sent from heritage railway - preservation - sites to the scrapman, that is very nearly 10% of the preserved breakdown cranes in the country gone in the space of a year.

I should at this point state for the record that I have not been involved with the overhaul of MP3 and I am not an NVR volunteer.

If you are interested in breakdown cranes, why not visit the Breakdown Crane Association website, www.bdca.org.uk?

Roger

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

craneman - my comment on the NVR crane was not to detriment from the team working on it. I am a NVR volunteer, and know first hand the work gone into it. The comment was firmly tongue in cheek, and was merely aimed at its a shame, seeing as the boiler ticket expires next year, although the crane is now in superb condition.

Yellowvanman - loving the picture, real atmosphere!

• 8 months later...
  • 9 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 26/09/2011 at 10:51, Classsix T said:

Here's a few from my hard-drive:

post-8937-0-07243300-1317029940_thumb.jpg

The March breakdown train, taken by my Father.

I know it is a long time since you posted this. The crane was the only reason that I went to March. I know the Stratford crane was ADRC 96701 (hence my alias), Doncaster was ADRC 96709, was March 96702 or 96704, I can;t remember.

• Like 2