Rail-mounted cranes.

10 hours ago, 96701 said:

I know it is a long time since you posted this. The crane was the only reason that I went to March. I know the Stratford crane was ADRC 96701 (hence my alias), Doncaster was ADRC 96709, was March 96702 or 96704, I can;t remember.

Sorry, no notes. "A breakdown train at March" would've been a more accurate caption as before your post I was unaware March even had one, that was the only time I saw it. Was it usually stabled elsewhere, or even out-stationed at Peterborough? 

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 96701 said:

I know it is a long time since you posted this. The crane was the only reason that I went to March. I know the Stratford crane was ADRC 96701 (hence my alias), Doncaster was ADRC 96709, was March 96702 or 96704, I can;t remember.

It was 96702 at March. Subsequently it went to Toton and later OOC. In 2006 the jib runner derailed on Greenford Curve due to a combination of suspension problems and track twist and this incident led to the withdrawal both of it and its sole remaining sister strut-jib crane. After nearly two years stored OOU at OOC it was scrapped by Ron Hull of Rotherham in May 2008.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Sorry, no notes. "A breakdown train at March" would've been a more accurate caption as before your post I was unaware March even had one, that was the only time I saw it. Was it usually stabled elsewhere, or even out-stationed at Peterborough? 

C6T. 

As Craneman wrote is was allocated to March, so I rather think that Gateshead must have had 96704.

• Like 1

Since this topic was started we have, of course, had the amazing trilogy by Peter Tatlow, the first two on the breakdown trains and the third on the smaller general service cranes - although plenty more can be done on these with those very elderly cranes lasting until remarkably recently on BR. 

image.png.fea88a494384a0b7055fc2cd1daf1f82.pngimage.png.c606bbb1d265e9efe12b09fcdb913693.png

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...