O-Scale

traction

"I also bought 100 #10A scalpel blades from the eBay sell in shortliner's post above, top value and VERY sharp, typing with a plaster on my finger as we speak" :lol:

Teee-heeee!

If Jack has recommended a bargain, it's a bargain, ye ken........

Doug

• 1 month later...

I've found a useful little option in Acrobat that should make things easier. If you zoom in to a section of the kit and then select the "Print Selection" option you can then just print say the back wall overlay.

Then by using the "Tile All Pages" option you can enter your chosen enlargement %. You get a preview window to make sure you are getting what you expect.

I think in this way I can print each bit as I need it onto A4 paper (or OHP film!) Only needing A3 if there is a bit that is literally too big for A4.

Not got Adobe Reader installed at work, but can't see that these options are not in the latest version of Reader (I'm using Acrobat Pro 8.0 at work)

Nothing on the Signal Box kit is so large :)

Have not been able to achieve this with the Weighbridge kit to get up to 7mm scale. The Tools/Select/Snapshot function is ghosted due to proection in Adobe 9. Any clues?

• 1 month later...

Here's an O gauge waiting shelter from my fair hands

Pretty pleased, despite my intial error with the printer at work enlarging it by another 141% when I selected A3 paper.

Dumping it out 175% onto A3 worked pretty well, only the back wall and the roof cover layer ended over the join.

Fistly excuse my computer shortcomings! I am very keen to try this and am looking to buy an A3 printer as it will pay for itself in no time. Can I print all scalescenes kits on to A3 by enlarging 175%?

Many thanks

Roger Murray

Regarding printer - keep an eye on ebay as there are some bargains to be had, I use a HP1220C which is a B3 printer (which is slightly larger than A3) and from memory was around £50.

Regarding enlarging, it's trickier than a straight enlargement onto A3 because of the difference in size.

A4 is 210mm x 297mm

A4 x 1.76 is 367mm x 523mm

A3 is 420mm x 297mm (each paper size just doubles, or halves, the shortest side depending if your going up or down a size).

So as you can see you actually need A2 (594x420) to do a straight enlargement.

The way 'I' would do it is to import the kit into Photoshop, re-arrange the kits to try to get them into A3 sheets (most parts will fit, although as alluded to earlier the long lengths won't and will need printing onto two sheets) - then print out. Photoshop isn't the only option for doing it, any paint package other than the default windows one ought to be capable although I am not sure which will import a PDF by default.

There is another caviat to this in that you'll lose any 'text input' fields, however that is only a minor issue in that while in photoshop you can put your own text in, in the right place.

The editing part of this post is NOT based on my own work as I havn't tried to do it, however I am a graphic designer so I know it should work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can I print all scalescenes kits on to A3 by enlarging 175%?

not quite, as enlarging an A4 sheet to A3 only needs 141%, so you will still get overlaps etc. I find that the best way is to zoom into an area then use the print view option so that you are only priniting part of the page at a time, it takes a little time to play around but in the end you get less joins.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived