Hornby MK3 DVT

60maniac

Hornby havnt updated thier class 90 since the early 2000's with the addition of a 5 Pole Motor, and extra pickups, otherwise itll be unchanged, and newer model would increase the price, so expect the "trainset looking one"

Hornby are providing an updated motor bogie (a la Limby) and DCC socket for the 90 this year though.

The bogies *May* suit a class 158, But youd need to Alter the Steps Jon, Not an easy task!

NL

are the steps moulded on then , and not a separate fitting ? Ive not seen the Hornby dvt in the flesh yet - cant quite tell from the pictures -

Removing them shouldnt be too pianfull if theyre moulded on , and the Bachmann 158 steps would hide the scars a little i think -

I wonder if I asked Hornby reeeely nicely they'd do the bogies.....

tfn

jon

I wonder whether the circuit board is wired up to show the correct lights, tail lights on 'forward' and headlights on 'reverse' to match the loco at the other end of the rake or will I have to program the decoder?

Martin

As I read it, there would be two options/solutions for running this, either set the same decoder address as your favourite hauling locomotive, or set the DVT as a consist with the appropriate motive power. If the direction lights are wrong, either change CV29 to reverse the forward direction on the DVT chip, or turn the powered loco thru' 180 degrees.

Yet to receive mine so unless others reply in the mean time, I'll let you know when I've chipped it.

Virgin Mk3's are now like hen's teeth! Could these have run with IC branded stock?

N

Virgin Mk3's are now like hen's teeth! Could these have run with IC branded stock?

A lot of (fairly standard) Hornby items seem to be like hen's teeth these days........... (do I need to mention the Blue Grey Mk2d TSO).

Building up anything like a correct train formation from Hornby seems to require five to ten years patience and perseverance - a bit like having a chess set where the pieces are only individually available at different times.

Luckily I got my Virgin MK3's at the time.

However the FO is available with a 110XX runing number - R4096G Virgin Trains Mk3 1st Class Open Coach http://www.ehattons.....aspx?SID=25762 - the buffers will need to be fitted.

You could run the Virgin DVT with Inter City stock during the livery transition period, someone may be able to advise on the duration of this period. Also you can run it with Virgin Mk2 coaches (although a Mk3 catering vehicle is required and the Virgin Mk2 FO is seemingly no longer available).

Does anybody know why Hornby are not bringing out the RFM in the red Virgin livery? Or have I got to wait another five years for that.

Hoping that the Modelzone in Holborn (Local Model Shop) have got the DVT in stock this weekend, otherwise I will just have to order from Hattons.

You could run the Virgin DVT with Inter City stock during the livery transition period, someone may be able to advise on the duration of this period. Also you can run it with Virgin Mk2 coaches (although a Mk3 catering vehicle is required and the Virgin Mk2 FO is seemingly no longer available).

When we rebranded the West Coast depots after the 20th February 1999 takeover from VT, I commisioned a set of library shots for use in publicity and marketing material... I remember at the time thinking how odd the InterCity DVT looked at the head of a similarly liveried rake at Edge Hill. The stock was becoming scarce in that livery by this time (in the WC fleet at least), and I expect it was extinct on West Coast by the millennium, we didn't have a works cover set in those days, so unlike recent years, NO excuse for retaining a token Leasing Company Bland liveried generic rake!

Yes - backwards is forwards!!

I can confirm that with a (Hornby) decoder installed as advised (with plug inserted with correct orientation to 'pin 1') the default for lighting is with tail marker (red) lights showing when 'driven' forwards on the controller.

Thus if set in 'consist' with a locomotive at the other end of the train, or set with the same address as that locomotive, the trailer lights will behave correctly (provided the powered locomotive is oriented to pull the train in it's default forward direction).

The lights are bright, but not excessive, and draw the eye away from the lack of black light surrounds noted before.

Cab lights also come on when the car is at travelling at the front of the train. These are bright and identify some lack of detail to the rear of the cab, and the gaps around opening doors.

Unlike recent Bachmann diesel locos, the cab lights cannot be turned off independently from the marker lights, so some may choose to disconnect these.

I am yet to give this a blast with the 67/mk3's, but it seems to roll smoothly. As supplied, the detail pack hoses hang very close to the rail tops, and may foul TPS or other details between rails. It may be worth curving these a little more to give some additional clearance.

There is an NEM socket to the rear of the trailer which is provided with a mid-sized ('Mainline' size) tension lock coupling. This could be swapped for a more discrete Bachmann/Hornby version however as with the HST cars, I would imagine this is fitted to provide more reliable running when the unpowered car is pushed and/or on tighter curves. I have changed all my Mk3 couplings for smaller tension locks (using Pullmann-type Hornby push-fit), but have left the mid sized ones on my HST power/dummy cars for this reason.

Hope this is of use.

N

Hoping that the Modelzone in Holborn (Local Model Shop) have got the DVT in stock this weekend, otherwise I will just have to order from Hattons.

Hi Jonathan542,

I'm popping into Modelzone Holborn this weekend. Did they have the VT DVTs in stock when you visited?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Jonathan542,

I'm popping into Modelzone Holborn this weekend. Did they have the VT DVTs in stock when you visited?

Thanks

Tom

No (as of last Saturday 27.02.10).

As I mentioned previously on the http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/10575-latest-bachman-47/ thread the gentleman on the model train counter was not particularly 'compas mentas' when I tried to explain to him that Hattons already had them in stock (even less so in terms of the R4393 Blue Grey Mk3 TRUB).

However I did manage to prise out of him that-:

* They possibly had twelve (????) in their warehouse.

* Their deliveries at Holborn are on a Wednesday.

So I am going tomorrow lunch time (gives me a nice walk to escape the Westminster bureaucracy).

Will report back.

Incidentally refering to another thread http://www.rmweb.co....tre-model-shop/

London situation is not great. I work within walking distance of Ian Allan, Modelzone Holborn, and the LT Museum

The latter has a great range of EFE, Pocketbond, Oxford, Corgi etc diecast models. Plus a reasonable selection of Hornby and Bachmann RTR, including some now hard to find discontinued models, all at RRP.

Of course none of them are able to offer advise and provide all the extras that a real model shop does...................

I can only but echo these sentiments.

Hi Jonathan542,

Thanks

Tom

Update Thursday 04.03.10 16.30hrs

Finally struck gold!!!!!!! (At lunchtime today.)

But they only had six in stock, leaving four after my two purchases.

So you may want to get a move on for you visit this weekend as other members of the Virgin Trains ‘fan club’ may get there first.

Alternatively the younger gentleman serving today advised me that there are plenty down at the ‘Signal Box’ (Rochester) if you fancy a ride on the Javlin.

Not so much luck with the R4393 Blue Grey Mk3 TRUB. It transpires that none have been ordered by the Modelzone (as a group), this may be to do with the fact that it was a belated addition to the Hornby 2009 programme. However they have now been alerted to its presence.

So I can either-:

* Wait for them to order it.

* Click on-to the Hattons Website.

* Wait for Ally Pally and keep my fingers crossed.

Now back to the Heljan Class 86 thread, noticing that there are some 'ominous' sounding posts appearing today.

• 2 weeks later...

Just took delivery of my Virgin mk3 DVT today and I must say i'm very impressed. I do believe this is far superior to any previous Hornby purchase. Shame about the rear coupling & lack of proper NEM style coupling box, but I guess with a bit of thought & imagination I can come with something to resemble close coupling to some mk3's.

Well done Hornby, 9.5/10 on this one!

are the steps moulded on then , and not a separate fitting ? Ive not seen the Hornby dvt in the flesh yet - cant quite tell from the pictures -

Removing them shouldnt be too pianfull if theyre moulded on , and the Bachmann 158 steps would hide the scars a little i think -

I wonder if I asked Hornby reeeely nicely they'd do the bogies.....

tfn

jon

Hi Jon,

The steps are moulded on to the bogie rather than a separate fitting. However, they are only on the leading bogie, the rear bogie is clear so may be of use.

Regards

Thomas :)

• 3 weeks later...

FYI for your bedtime reading-:

New issue: Rail Express Modeller 72 April 2010

Research: With the release of Hornby’s model of the Mk. 3b Driving Van Trailer, REM provides a guide to the correct usage of these vehicles. Includes formations from InterCity to the present day.

Just had an email from the big 'box shifter' Model shop in the North West, if this is the correct name to give it without promoting it.... ;)

Anyway, email said my Intercity liveried... sorry IC Swallow DVT was being packed for shipping today, along with my other two items I will post in a different thread. I am guessing the Rail Express guys will have got there's either last Saturday or Monday, as even I asked for mine special delivery before 1pm the next day by the Queen's Postal Service if no-one signs for it tomorrow it will not be collected until Wed. AM.

Some pictures of the Hornby DVT in Intercity Swallow livery (good picture of the real thing here: http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/BB3cpg/displayimage.php?album=165&pos=8 )

I am pleased with it and think they have captured the "face" of it. It has been based on the more recent variant of the DVT, with no white valancing under the cab, oval buffers and no rubbing plate, but photos may show this to be the case on some DVTs during the sectorisation era.

Edit: picture here in 1989 showing Swallow livery with no white valancing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DVT_82122.jpg

post-5791-127003781154_thumb.jpg

post-5791-127003782924_thumb.jpg

post-5791-127003784547_thumb.jpg

post-5791-127003785571_thumb.jpg

I am pleased with it and think they have captured the "face" of it. It has been based on the more recent variant of the DVT, with no white valancing under the cab, oval buffers and no rubbing plate, but photos may show this to be the case on some DVTs during the sectorisation era.

The IC one also has the Virgin stainless steel horn grille painted black. Some DVT's lost their valences, TDM covers and rubbing plates, but oval buffers were a post-Virgin addition. Where's the thumbs down Emoticon...? :icon_thumbsdown2:

Just had an email from the big 'box shifter' Model shop in the North West, if this is the correct name to give it without promoting it.... ;)

Anyway, email said my Intercity liveried... sorry IC Swallow DVT was being packed for shipping today, along with my other two items I will post in a different thread. I am guessing the Rail Express guys will have got there's either last Saturday or Monday, as even I asked for mine special delivery before 1pm the next day by the Queen's Postal Service if no-one signs for it tomorrow it will not be collected until Wed. AM.

As I expected mine I got mine today as no-one around to sign for mine yesterday. Slightly disappointed with it compared to my EWS Executive Silver one as that one has its red tail lights when being dragged on DC but not my IC livered model. Is this possible on DC or just DCC to have Red Tail lights on the DVT (Silver version), or is it just a wiring problem?

Summer Saturday, have you adapted the rear coupling on your DVT or is it just the angle of the picture... it looks nicely close coupled, unlike the monster Hornby coupling that comes supplied with the otherwise brilliant DVT

Summer Saturday, have you adapted the rear coupling on your DVT or is it just the angle of the picture... it looks nicely close coupled, unlike the monster Hornby coupling that comes supplied with the otherwise brilliant DVT

The "close coupling" in the picture is due to me cheating for the benefit of the picture! I have since replaced the Hornby tension lock with a close coupler, but there is still quite a gap. I will try the Roco close couplers, which are shorter than the Hornby ones, otherwise some modification will be required.

Archived