Needing help and inspiration

stirlingsheep

In order to releive myself of boredom up here on a small island, I'm getting my 'N' Gauge stuff and starting a new layout.

I'm in need of a bit of advice on what to do with the room I have, its a conservatory, though not too cold and not too warm (having a constant 30mph wind helps)

The room is 11 feet by 11 feet, and I'd be looking to model the Glasgow around the 1980's, so I can run the great selection of class 150, 108, 37s, 47s and 86s (either BR blue or BR sectorisation, or a mix of both), I've looked around the forums for a bit of inspiration and a few C.J Freezer books, but can't decide as yet, I quite fancy a terminus station on a high level and a loop slightly lower, but don't know where to go with it. I've done simple end to end stuff before, but inclines would be a complete new thing for me, anyone help?

post-5481-025024000 1288199367_thumb.jpg

post-5481-088774400 1288199379_thumb.jpg

post-5481-015956800 1288199392_thumb.jpg

post-5481-071238700 1288199404_thumb.jpg

I vote for a mid-late 80's, that way you can get away with BR Blue and early sector liveries.

That's what I went with on my layout, except mine is in the south... so in addition to BR Blue, I've got NSE, RF, RF Sector & 'Dutch'.

Modelers license has also allowed me to run anything in blue that has a TOPS number (such as my pre-NSE days Class 24) upto and including pretty much any 'modern' livery that still carries the BR Double Arrow logo on it.

• RMweb Gold

Bored - Tiree? :blink:

we've been to the highlands & islands year on year and recently quit Yorkshire in favour of Kintyre which is 'almost' an Island, and if this rain keeps up I'm sure it soon will be. Though the surroundings are thoroughly beautiful you do need hobbies, there is a need to make your own entertainment, which is not quite the same in a town.

Bored - Tiree? :blink:

we've been to the highlands & islands year on year and recently quit Yorkshire in favour of Kintyre which is 'almost' an Island, and if this rain keeps up I'm sure it soon will be. Though the surroundings are thoroughly beautiful you do need hobbies, there is a need to make your own entertainment, which is not quite the same in a town.

Crisis - It's different being here all year round. It's great in the summer when the suns shining and the surfers are here - absolute party time. Once the rain sets in for the winter - ever seen pure horizontal rain? Come here :)

Russ - Mull of Kintyres great, and on Tiree I'm 30 footsteps from the pub, and to be honest, its probably cheaper to spend money modelling than going there, and you most definetly have to make your own entertainment, particularly when the girlfriends a flight away in Glasgow ;)

First off you would probably need to determine what fits in the way of baseboards. From the photos you have two doors, huge windows on three sides and only one power point? I would think summer sun on a layout will in time fade the scenery, the end access point needs to be kept clear (to access the garden) unless there are alternatives somewhere else, and if there is only one power point in the corner under the bench then you need to work out how to get power to any construction. I am assuming that once the layout gets into the room, then it no longer serves as a conservatory after that and at least one of the windows can be partially covered by backscenes etc.

It would be better from a operations point of view to span the baseboards across the door leading to the garden as that leaves you internal access to the room without having to duck under, the power point is in a convenient spot and it gives you a three and a half wall length (around ten metres) to do things in. Just remember to make the whole thing separate from the walls so you can move it in the future (you never know why right now but there is nothing worse than putting a chain saw through three years worth of work just to repair a window for example). If you span the internal door as well, just make it a lifting flap so you can have the option of a roundy-round which would be really nice to watch after a few rounds in the pub!

Your choice of model scenario is entirely up to you but anything looks good these days - the toys get better each year!

As for horizontal rain - yes we get that here but usually only during a storm and only for about 20 minutes. But in that 20 minutes we could get over 100mm dumped on us. Big drains, lotsa drains.

• RMweb Premium

What is the room like for humidity and condensation? Are there any leaks around the windows and doors in rough weather? Wind, rain and damp are your enemies as much as sunlight and high temperatures.

That said I can visualise something in N within that space which might be broadly based upon Glasgow Queen Street (both levels) and give you some building challenges and operating interest well beyond any flat roundy-round.

You can legitimately run trains "through" between the two levels as well. I have made through journeys over the years between both levels of both Glasgow stations, the "classic" example of which is when West Highland trains have come in via Queen Street Low Level before running via Springburn to the High Level if the normal route is unavailable. I have also managed Queen Street low level to Central high level direct.

You have lots of scope to plan and enjoy!

It would be better from a operations point of view to span the baseboards across the door leading to the garden as that leaves you internal access to the room without having to duck under, the power point is in a convenient spot and it gives you a three and a half wall length (around ten metres) to do things in. Just remember to make the whole thing separate from the walls so you can move it in the future (you never know why right now but there is nothing worse than putting a chain saw through three years worth of work just to repair a window for example). If you span the internal door as well, just make it a lifting flap so you can have the option of a roundy-round which would be really nice to watch after a few rounds in the pub!

There are power points at 3 of the corners (hidden in most photos), and I'm intending to have a lift out section over the door to the garden (see plan below). Ive allowed for 2 and a Half feet baseboards (any bigger and I'd have trouble reaching a derailed train), which fits round the walls. And I agree with you about the roundy-round.

What is the room like for humidity and condensation? Are there any leaks around the windows and doors in rough weather? Wind, rain and damp are your enemies as much as sunlight and high temperatures.

You can legitimately run trains "through" between the two levels as well. I have made through journeys over the years between both levels of both Glasgow stations, the "classic" example of which is when West Highland trains have come in via Queen Street Low Level before running via Springburn to the High Level if the normal route is unavailable. I have also managed Queen Street low level to Central high level direct.

You have lots of scope to plan and enjoy!

The room is fine for humidity and warmth (there are roller blinds on the roof to which are constantly closed).

Queen St is the station I have in mind and I've drawn up a (very similar) plan to what exists at the moment

The lower level is something I've never encountered personally (I only ever get the train from Falkirk High/Croy). But my original design below includes a loop which runs under the main station area, so it might be possible.

My plan allows for 3 focal points, ideally the trains would begin at the Eastfield depot, travel to Queen Street, then back through Croy, passing the Eastfield Depot on its return journey, vice versa.

post-5481-072333800 1288283230_thumb.jpg

Archived