Edinburgh Waverley 1981 (Sort of. . . .)

Waverley81

I've been trying for some time now to get my dreams off the ground for a layout based on Edinburgh in the late 70s/early 80s. Inspired by a visit to Waverley as a child in 1979, I wanted to re-create those heady spotting days when everything this far north was a 'cop' for me. As an impressionable 11 year old this trip brought me my first Deltic, 25/0, 26, 27 and so many more Scottish exotica. I decided not to go for a completely true representation of the station, it's just too big, and I'm just in awe of what Dave has done with Waverley West. Instead I've slimmed it down. Some through platforms, some bays. Tunnels at either end, one leading to a helix, instead of Princes Street Gardens to take the line back on itself at a higher level and round to where I might build Haymarket in another 10 years:blink: In fact the whole of the other side of my workshop is just basedboards at the moment. I've finished laying the track for the station and the higher level line. It's a DCC layout with a Lenz Set 100 doing the business and I'm currently installing point motors. Platforms are done and some pre-ballasting weathering has been done on the track. Work commitments mean it's difficult to progress as fast as I would like or indeed at all sometimes but here's a few pictures to give you a flavour.

post-7139-025560300 1288305165_thumb.jpg

post-7139-022612600 1288305215_thumb.jpg

post-7139-022263300 1288305354_thumb.jpg

post-7139-077856400 1288305390_thumb.jpg

post-7139-081147000 1288305462_thumb.jpg

post-7139-048449500 1288305561_thumb.jpg

post-7139-088699900 1288305699_thumb.jpg

Hi mate

Got to say, all that wood work looks well cool... what is the size of the Helix (circle raise part) at the one end, can you tell me the total width and the width of the track part...!

Do you have a track plan of the proposed Layout...

More Photos of progress will be great.

Excellent work.

Jamie

Hi

I take it your having a helix at both ends? so it runs on a loop.

This is just a suggestion, if it was me, i would have the helix go down at each end and run a fiddle yard under your baseboard to hide it and give you more room for the scenery.

Then you can run it under all the way round and back up for Haymarket, what a layout that would be. :lol:

carl

Hi Waverley81,

Great to see another Waverley/Scottish 1970/80s layout. Will be watching this with interest of course. You've made a great start and I'm impressed by your carpentry skills. I wouldn't mind some of those helixes myself. I've been thinking about doing something like that for a while but am a bit short of space. I need a cunning solution and I've yet to come up with one.

How did you arrive at your track plan? I like the fact that you've got in a representation of the eastern end of the station too. That will make operation much more fun.

I would second Carl's suggestion though about having the helixes below board level to hide them and give you much more freedom as regards scenery. Looking at that elevated track behind the station for instance, you're going to have put in a very high wall or hide it completely. If you could put that below board level, you could model a bit of Princes St, with the street with cars and buses and a backscene of the buildings perhaps. Maybe you think it's too late now, but I think it would be worth it if you could do it. Incidentally as a bit of encouragement, I laid the track leading into Waverley West and then decided it wasn't close enough to the actual track plan. So I ripped it all up and started again. It was heart-breaking at the time (I had weathered and ballasted the track and everything) but I've never looked back since.

Just some thoughts. Please don't take it as a criticism in any way. It's your layout and it's coming on great!!

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

• RMweb Gold

An ambitious take on a very fine - but extensive - prototype. Progress to date suggests that only the sheer scope will delay you - all the most difficult parts like the helix are already ticked off. Super stuff - keep us posted!

Thanks Carl and Dave. Don't worry all comments welcome. Certainly not offended. Interestingly Dave this is my second track plan!!! I started some time ago and then ripped up the entire west end of the station and re-built it with the helix, rather like yourself. Prior to this I had a bridge over the gap/entrance to the centre of a rectangular tail chaser but found it quite restrictive and annoying. My workshop (Big Shed according to my wife!!) is multi-purpose and so getting in and out was of paramount importance and the helix at both end means a 'U' shaped layout makes life easier. My fiddle yard will be under Haymarket at the bottom of the 'U' if that makes sense and I had this crazy idea of having a go at Millerhill down the other side leading to the second helix with another elevated main line perhap crossing it on some kind of girder bridge. Not entirely sure of that bit yet. It will probably have to wait until I retire;)

I will try and do a plan so you can see my thinking more clearly.

Cheer guys

Deane

Archived